Taiden Dork
11/6/11 11:19 a.m.

Today I fixed a lot with very little.

On the e30 I fixed these items with a single paper clip:

1. Speedometer
  2. MPG gauge
  3. temp gauge
  4. cruise control

What's the most you've fixed using very little while still remaining confident that it was a high quality fix?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
11/6/11 11:25 a.m.

I fixed almost every electrical issue on my jeep by fixing some splices in the harness. Less than $5 in materials, including tape for the harness, heat shrink tubing, and solder. I fixed a Kia Sportage that wouldn't shift out of park with a zip tie.

I do side work on friends' cars, so I'm good at fixing things without anything but some cleaning and diagnostic troubleshooting.

alex
alex SuperDork
11/6/11 11:28 a.m.

Fixed my truck's door with a rubber band. Proud of that one.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
11/6/11 12:22 p.m.

I fixed an over expanded front hub with aluminum foil

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/6/11 1:31 p.m.

I fixed 6500 bucks worth of damage to my protege with 30 bucks. Well, if you count the body hammer set I bought and the seal, more like 80......

I had hit a nice chunk of steel beam on the highway that punched a hole in the trans and ripped a 14" gash in the floorpan under my butt.

30 bucks for a used trans case, hammered the floor down, mig welded it up and some rubberized undercoating. The insurance company was going with a new trans and replacing the entire floorpan. I got 5700 bucks and have put another 100K on the car since then.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/11 1:35 p.m.

dad bought a used Ford dually with a 7.3 PSD. Right after he got it it started making a horrible almost train-whistle sound when climbing a steep hill. I poked around and noticed one of the clamps under the turbo was loose. fixt for 0

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/6/11 1:59 p.m.
familytruckster wrote: 30 bucks for a used trans case, hammered the floor down, mig welded it up and some rubberized undercoating. The insurance company was going with a new trans and replacing the entire floorpan. I got 5700 bucks and have put another 100K on the car since then.

You could crash cars for a living!

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/6/11 3:31 p.m.
Taiden wrote:
familytruckster wrote: 30 bucks for a used trans case, hammered the floor down, mig welded it up and some rubberized undercoating. The insurance company was going with a new trans and replacing the entire floorpan. I got 5700 bucks and have put another 100K on the car since then.
You could crash cars for a living!

That would be a lot more fun than my current job. And I would get harassed about it as much.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/11 5:36 p.m.

I repaired the starter solenoid in my Subaru with a couple of thin washers to space the stationary terminals closer to the plunger. The terminals were worn thin as a razor blade.

Lasted at least as long as the rest of the car.

Cheap starter repair seems to be a common theme for me. I've filed the slots in the brush holders so that the brushes could extend more, when I was too impatient for the new ones to be delivered. Lasted at least 10k.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
11/6/11 5:58 p.m.

Fixed the clutch cable on my '95 Saab 900S (and then my '96 900SE) with a bottle cap.

Edit: making the difference between driveable and not, should be mentioned.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/11 6:15 p.m.
alex wrote: Fixed my truck's door with a rubber band. Proud of that one.

My neighbor fixed his bull with a rubber band.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/6/11 6:26 p.m.

I once unclogged a wiper nozzle on the side of the road, in a snow storm using a piece of finger nail I bit from my index finger.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
11/6/11 6:39 p.m.

I helped a buddy secure most of the front clip of his Civic with zip ties.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/11 6:43 p.m.

put a copper washer on a battery cable to take up space worn away from a side post terminal.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
11/6/11 6:49 p.m.

I usually just focus on breaking stuff...

This guy fixes stuff with little though...Here!

egnorant
egnorant Dork
11/6/11 6:53 p.m.

My old 67 Mustang decided that it wanted 2nd gear while I was cruising in 3rd gear. Transmission locked up and broke a motor mount. Upon inspection I noticed that the Clutch linkage had dropped out as the motor (200 6 cyl) flopped towards the passenger side.

The transmission would operate in 2nd gear if I put the shifter in neutral, but when I started the car, the engine would flop over, drop the clutch linkage out and pull the throttle wide open.

A bit of work on a pallet with my tire iron yielded a proper length of wood to wedge against the engine and the fender wall...drove for 3 weeks like that.

Bruce

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/11 7:20 p.m.

I fixed a vacuum leak in a Ford Pinto carburetor with a snapped off pencil. Fixed it on the side of the road when the car shut down. Drove it like that for 3 years and only had to replace the pencil once. I never did figure out what fell out of the carburetor leaving a pencil sized hole.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
11/6/11 7:37 p.m.

Fixed a slightly smaller version of this with a soldering iron, 15K board of ~0.01$ of solder. Bad trace was down for over 6 months.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/6/11 7:52 p.m.

Fixed a dented quarter panel in a unibody hatchback with a toilet plunger.

Perfectly!

oldtin
oldtin Dork
11/6/11 8:19 p.m.

Fixed most of the rust in my TR4 with a scrap fender. Cost about $6 for welding wire - maybe another $20 in argon/CO2

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/6/11 8:50 p.m.

the ABS in my '04 Cavalier just fixed itself.. for free and with no effort on my part.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/7/11 12:14 a.m.

Zip ties. Air dams, fender liners, under body trays, emission equipment, ect.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/7/11 12:30 a.m.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
11/7/11 2:47 a.m.

I fixed every issue I ever had with my E36 by selling it

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/11 6:13 a.m.

Gal Gas Book of matches

Optional