1 2 3 4
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
5/31/13 10:55 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/31/13 11:46 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: If "fake supercars" count it's gotta be a Maserati Merak or one of those sad imitation supercars. Anything that was only available with a slushbox is definitely a front-runner for the title.
kanaric wrote: Do cars that pretend to be supercars but are not count? If so then Delorean and Maserati Merak fit well.

OK guys help me out here really. What’s wrong with the Maserati Merak? As I said on page 1, it was priced similarly and performed similarly to the 308 when new. What’s so bad about it. Also Gameboy, as far as I know there was no auto ever offered in the Merak.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/31/13 11:50 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:

I am confused, is this an argument for or against it as a supercar.

Because one of the duties of a supercar is being completed quite well in that picture.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
5/31/13 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Just remember to eat british muff

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
5/31/13 12:10 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Flight Service: Just remember to eat british muff

I am a Brit .
. .
Although now happily married to an American, I have nibbled in the past

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/31/13 12:11 p.m.
nocones wrote: I think worst supercar is any 911 based supercar. Things like the GT2. These cars carry supercar pricetags and are undeniably awesome cars but as a supercar they fail because they can be confused for the relatively mundane base 911 they share so much with. Cars like the Carrera GT and all lambos etc. never appear non super but to the uneducated the GT2 just looks like a 911.

I have exactly zero interest in impressing the uneducated.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
5/31/13 12:30 p.m.

Re: XJ220- I crewed at the Daytona 24 the year Jaguar raced them. In person, in racing kit, absolutely stunning. Don't remember how well they ran, as I was quite busy trying to help keep our car in one piece. Most interesting bit was the people Dunlop brought over to supply the tires for the Jags. Seems they were all being rewarded for doing a good job in the factory, had never been out of the UK, never been to an auto race, and spoke some bizarre language no one could understand. But extremely friendly guys, would trade anything for an American souvenir. Got a cool hat.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
5/31/13 12:33 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: As a child of the 80's I of course had a poster of a Lambo Countach on my wall. A few years ago I saw one on the used lot of the local Lexus dealer, so I checked it out. What a raging abortion of a car. I'd say it had the build quality of a kit car, but that is an insult to most kit car builders.

I would love to see an exotic vs fake exotic kit car smackdown. Another magazine recently did a Factory Five roadster vs Gallardo track test where they were pretty close (Gallardo seems to have had a slight edge), but it would be even funnier to see if a well prepped Fiero based kit car with an LS1, or some sort of tube chassis home brew special, could put a hurting on a real Lambo or Ferarri.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/31/13 12:54 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: If "fake supercars" count it's gotta be a Maserati Merak or one of those sad imitation supercars. Anything that was only available with a slushbox is definitely a front-runner for the title.
kanaric wrote: Do cars that pretend to be supercars but are not count? If so then Delorean and Maserati Merak fit well.
OK guys help me out here really. What’s wrong with the Maserati Merak? As I said on page 1, it was priced similarly and performed similarly to the 308 when new. What’s so bad about it. Also Gameboy, as far as I know there was no auto ever offered in the Merak.

I am trying to figure out the same thing. The Merak IMHO is awesome.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/13 12:54 p.m.

Not stupid or ugly, sorry, but this car was was ahead of the curve in every sense of the word for supercar (heck, car in general) technology. Others are still catching up. The 911 upon which it is based is the only reason it has a "unique" look, but you can see out of it! Which is why I nominate this as one of the worst:

Porsche is known for many things, none of which appear in the Carerra GT. No Flat 6, no flat 12, no turbos, no awd, no technology and a rear end that someone forgot to finish designing. They have no Porsche heritage at all...people wanted a modern 959 and got a fancy Dodge Viper. On its own, an AMAZING car (although it will try to kill you early and often) but not a great Porsce supercar.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/31/13 12:56 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

That is exactly why I would rather have the Carrera GT any day over a 959.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
5/31/13 12:59 p.m.

Because Nobody wants a Supercar with a Functioning Climate Control System:

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
5/31/13 1:01 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

wtf, did you seriously just compare a CGT with a Viper? The only thing either has in common is they use a v10 engine......not even remotely similar v10 engines at that.

The CGT is what powerful porsches used to be, a widowmaker. Now they all have nanny computers that don't punish their drivers for being numbtards.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/13 1:03 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I agree, the Delorean shouldn't be considered here.......it should however be in the running for the worst car of all time though....

I'd likely argue that- but accept that it's a matter of opinion. It does belong on a list of spectacular failures as far as cars go if you consider what it was originally planned to be like..

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/13 1:03 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: no technology

LOLWUT? It's a pretty high-tech car, closer to an LF-A than a Viper. It uses exotic materials in the brake discs and clutch plates, has a CF frame and body, pushrod suspension, active rear spoiler, and of course the super-high-revving engine with tons of exotic materials used.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/31/13 1:04 p.m.

I think the Carrera GT is one of the greatest supercars of all time.

Yeah, it has almost nothing in common with anything else Porsche is known for, but that's kindof the point.

Porsche proved that even when they went batE36 M3 crazy and did something COMPLETELY different from what they're proven to be good at... they can still build something completely obscene and one of the fastest cars on the planet.

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
5/31/13 1:31 p.m.

Very happy you guys mentioned the W8 multiple times. The W8 popped into my mind for no reason like a week ago and I talked to a coworker about them. I can still remember the magazine ad.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/31/13 1:37 p.m.

The W8 is great for a 12 year old. That is about the only supercar button it pushed. I would say it tore up spectacularly but that would assume it ran to begin with.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
5/31/13 2:36 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to RexSeven: I was gonna go with it's predecessor the W8. It never actually went. I mean they delivered it to people with the caveat they couldn't actually drive it till they took it back to finish it. Off the shelf, not really cool when they were released, aluminum saw blades, with the visual appeal being assembles with flat strips of foam board like a kids school project.

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORE MOUTHS!

Had multiple posters as a kid. I still think they look cool...better than a berkeleying countach anyway.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
5/31/13 2:41 p.m.

berkeley you guys.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/31/13 3:00 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

The ultimate 80's-mobile. I love it.

Louvres and scoops? Check.

Crazy angles and wedgy shape? Check.

Pop-up headlights? Check.

Sawblade wheels? Check.

Whitesnake tape in the stereo? You better believe it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/13 3:02 p.m.

Guys, I believe that Jalopnik is reading this board and stealing article ideas. And I'm not kidding. This showed up just before noon today: http://jalopnik.com/whats-the-least-super-supercar-510671987

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/13 3:09 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Guys, I believe that Jalopnik is reading this board and stealing article ideas. And I'm not kidding. This showed up just before noon today: http://jalopnik.com/whats-the-least-super-supercar-510671987

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/31/13 3:15 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Guys, I believe that Jalopnik is reading this board and stealing article ideas. And I'm not kidding. This showed up just before noon today: http://jalopnik.com/whats-the-least-super-supercar-510671987

It about berkeleying time. Maybe now they will get above the automotive equivalent of the Weekly World News.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
5/31/13 3:19 p.m.

Man the batteries, we must sink those berkeleytards....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ih5ZISqwotXHjwDrqXwF5iy6QZ4PRunksizM0HaSVICqsqAm11rDozUdH9uE5Yta