1 2
sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
10/31/17 5:02 p.m.

Like everyone else said, keep it and fix it. If you have no rust, that thing is a rolling asset. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/31/17 5:32 p.m.

In my experience, you just sell it to some Landcrab freak for twice what you paid for it. I don't understand why, but there are some people who think those things are the best ever.  The bees knees, even.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/31/17 6:23 p.m.

They are not the best vehicles, but they are something that is built to much higher standards than most automobiles for sale. The fact that you see 400-500+ thousand mile ones still running around in non car friendly environments UAE, Dubai, Africa, South America etc is why they have the reputation.

I see salvage auction ones go for over 5k all the time getting shipped overseas

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/31/17 6:54 p.m.

I'm in the same boat. Cheap beater Ex Cab long bed 4x4 rusty Silverado. I hate driving it.(it's like driving a freight train) It seems like it always needs something. I debate with myself constantly over selling it. Then I have to move something or actually do some work with it. Man you can shove a ton of crap into this thing, and you can't touch a short bed for the money. So it stays...

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/1/17 7:13 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

The fact total brake system failure can be caused by a faulty ABS unit that is built into the master cylinder makes me doubt this assumption of total reliability.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
11/1/17 10:05 a.m.

It's not only Landcruisers.  When I was looking at Lexus GS400's, the early ones have some sort of integrated master cylinder/ABS module thing that was very expensive to replace.    

As cars get more complicated and people expect more and more out of them you are going to see a lot more expensive cars sidelined over a single failed module.  Then again, it isn't a problem until the module breaks.   

octavious
octavious Dork
11/1/17 10:36 a.m.

Soldering the broken tab didn’t work. There wasn’t enough material to work with.

I found a used one out of GA with a 90 day warranty that I am going to use. Still frustrating. 

The cost of replacement is one thing but to find out that the system is only on certain years and you must have the build date of the vehicle to determine which module you need shows how stupid this part is. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/1/17 1:07 p.m.

Those electric pump ABS booster doodads were very popular for about two years.  Then they started failing.  Some of the early 90's? Jeep Cherokees came with them, I think maybe GM used them on a sedan or two somewhere, too.  They failed fairly regularly.

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
11/3/17 4:41 a.m.

Go to ih8mud

There Are Posts about this iissue

Fantastic vehicles that are pretty darn reliable!

We are at 240k and still agoodrunner

octavious
octavious Dork
11/3/17 8:44 p.m.

Well it’s back up and running.  Abs/pump unit was the issue. 

Thanks for all the suggestions

octavious
octavious Dork
1/9/18 10:47 p.m.

As an update to this, I replaced the whole assembly with a used one. Did the brake bleeding process and all was good.  It has been my DD from November when I fixed it, up until this weekend. 

This is weekend I saw some small drops of brake fluid under the Cruiser in the driveway, topped off the brake fluid to see if I could find the leak, and I moved it to the garage. I got home tonight and there was a puddle of fluid under the Cruiser. 

I began looking and it appeared the brake reservoir was leaking and has run down the lines and been dripping on the frame. I replaced what I hope are the leaking gaskets between the reservoir and the master cylinder, and put the assembly back in. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/10/18 7:04 a.m.

My brother in law has a 93 LC with 800k and a 2000 with 450k.  He loves those trucks!

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/10/18 9:11 a.m.

Glad you fixed it.  

With the cult following of these there are sure to be workarounds documented as these continue to age.  Swapping units to non ABS model years, aftermarket plug and play options, or documented junkyard alternatives, etc.  At $1,100+, with the number of FJ and Land Cruiser specialty shops around, somebody is bound to offer up something if they haven't already.  

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/10/18 7:21 p.m.

Any possiblility of fitting an MC and ABS stuff from a different Toyota SUV - Sequoia or something? May requires some custom hard lines and such, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1OGlNaDug2GFI3DDOgAL9vPUpFZM6bdowy9UeQGojA5UCeby8GYGfNvJP8NWBgp