1 2 3
wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/2/21 1:28 p.m.

Original Acura NSX - deserves every bit of the advertising hype. If I had been better at predicting when their prices would bottom out, there might be one in the garage now (except I don't know what would be moved out to make space).

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/2/21 2:13 p.m.

For me, both the E30 and E34. It's funny because I didn't realize how much other cars missed the hype for me because I started off with an E30, but both of these have been above and beyond for me, in all the versions I've driven except the 525i with an automatic that was just too slow. That's not true for all BMWs, including others I expected to like. Add E38 740i M Sport to the list of surprises too. The first one I drove, I didn't even know that model existed and it sent me down a rabbit hole when the second E38, a non-sport 740iL, was a totally different car and I couldn't figure out why.

The NA Miata was exactly what I expected, so I guess that lived up to the hype pretty darn well. Same with the AP1 S2000.

Various iterations of GTI failed to meet the hype, though I've never driven an original. Same with the hawkeye STi, not nearly the car I was expecting. 2000 Civic SI, and B18C swapped EG hatch both had great engines and good chassis, but not to the hype level. On the flipside, the original TSX was a real surprise to me. Great car.

I had a Subaru SVX for a while and while it was cool and the engine was great, the overall package failed to engender any real attachment.

On the modern side, 2018ish Impala LTZ exceeded all expectations for a highway burner on some business trips, and now I always look for them when getting a rental.

Had a Toyota Tundra Platinum for a week and did a bunch of driving in it. While it felt well built and was really quiet inside, it had a bit of a hyperactive transmission, didn't make the power I was expecting (it was ALWAYS over 3500 rpm unless you were cruising, and I wasn't towing), and got 14 mpg highway. I thought these were supposed to be the gold standard and was surprised to be disappointed.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
7/2/21 2:21 p.m.

Ferrari 360.  10+ years of ownership and every drive still makes me smile.  

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/2/21 3:08 p.m.

You can probable tell by my "name", but I loves me some Z32s, whether or not they were over-hyped or under-hyped, I couldn't tell you. But I do know this, I believe they were/are always under-rated as far as pure driving smiles per mile ratings go.

I think they were way ahead of their time and they are still a hell of a ride when properly maintained and possibly tweaked (just slightly, no racer-boy crap).

Mine is 31 years old now, no rust, no squeaks, no rattles, original paint, original interior, still a great car to sit, have a cold one, and stare at in the garage. I prefer it in every way to my 328i.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/21 3:26 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Most recently for me was a 2020 Supra GR.  I had a student with one that was 100% stock at Watkins Glen, and that car was just absolutely superb.  If you have the disposable income, it's hard to imagine a better out of the box track weapon.

I'm going to go see if I fit in one wearing a helmet tomorrow.   Considering trading the i8 for one to have something better suited for the track, but with some of the same visual excitement. 

Especially as a replacement for the E86 Z4 Coupe I had. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/21 3:32 p.m.
Karacticus said:

I'm going to go see if I fit in one wearing a helmet tomorrow.   Considering trading the i8 for one to have something better suited for the track, but with some of the same visual excitement. 

Especially as a replacement for the E86 Z4 Coupe I had. 

I can't imagine my disappointment if I wanted to buy one but couldn't fit with a helmet...

Unless you've got some very weird proportions, I'd imagine you'll be fine.  I'm 6'0", 200 lb and my student was a few inches taller (and about 40lbs heavier?), both of us fit pretty well.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
7/2/21 3:38 p.m.

996gt3. Exactly what I was expecting and the hype machine was ON POINT. Driving it around was crazy how ANGRY it was everywhere. Definately could hold a powerslide on T1 at Rd Atlanta my first day on track with it and the interior was a SOOOO much nicer place to be than the noise and harshness deserved.

Edited to add: this thread is HORRIBLE for my car shopping adhd. No monies, and now much more desire for alotta E36 M3 I didnt want an hour ago. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/2/21 5:42 p.m.

Either an Elise or a Leyland Mini. Small, light, communicative, raw, great controls, comfy seats.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/2/21 5:47 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

That's an excellent point about the Leyland Mini. I got to drive one briefly, but I think my initial rides in one as a passenger just drove home how much exuberance on wheels those things are... I look forward to getting the Wolseley put together and having the opportunity to drive one more.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/2/21 8:53 p.m.

Not sure if this is any kind of reasonable metric, but in the 31 years I;ve worked here, I've been inspired to crack my wallet and buy a car as a direct and instant result of having a press car dropped off exactly four times:

1. Mazdaspeed3

2. Chevrolet Volt

3. RAM Promaster City

4. Toyota Tundra (that one I bought used, but they;re all the same so whatever.)

So there's four cars that I literally bought while driving a loaned version of the same thing. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/3/21 6:11 p.m.

Drove a 2006 mini non S.  Totally boring. Soft controls and no feedback.

Did an autocross on a Fiat 500 Abarth. HATED it.  Fought me at every turn.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/3/21 7:50 p.m.

Miata, e30, Tesla 3 dual-engine. Every rear-engined Porsche that I've driven.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/3/21 9:43 p.m.

B13 sentra SE-R. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
7/3/21 10:06 p.m.

Cars that I've owned or own that live up to the hype

BMW 2002

BMW e36M3/4/5

BMW f80 M3

2020 Corvette z51

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/21 10:07 p.m.

Rode in the aluminum Cobra after the photoshoot with my daughter (Shelby)

429. My impression was that it was pointless to have on the street because you just cannot make use of that power. TOTALLY lived up to the hype/reputation.  
Also, this is a cool thread. Volt, eh? That seems mildly approachable for a man of limited means. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/3/21 11:27 p.m.

ND Miata. Mrs. Dx rode in one as well and understood my grin as well.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/21 2:15 a.m.

FD rx7. Unique in so many ways. Thumbs up from other drivers whenever I take it out.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/21 10:07 a.m.

Most cars I have owned have no "hype".  The '80 RX-7 is probably the closest, and it worked beautifully.  Far better than the watered down FB models that came later, having owned an '85, '84, and now an '81.  Light, direct steering, willing engine, well placed pedals, chassis dynamics that are at once forgiving and also encouraging of loutish behavior.

As for cars that did have hype, that I've managed to drive.... NA Miata?  It's just about perfect.  It feels like a modernized SA.

The steering in a 911 SC is breathtakingly good, just as raved about.  The word usually used is "writhes", and that is exactly how it feels:  lots of steering feedback, but also very light, and no massive road kickback.  I'd love to try an early 911 with its 165/80 tires, but gosh, nobody seems to want to let me drive a car that is worth several homes.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/21 1:36 p.m.

My 03 Sierra Denali. It is reliable as gravity and is great at all things truck. It was designed with towing in mind and it is excellent at it. One of the best all around vehicles I have ever had. Don't remember if there was any hype around it when it came out. It was a redesign/facelift year I think. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/4/21 4:40 p.m.

The cars I've driven that have lived up to the hype:

- B13 SE-R

- '03 Viper

- '02 WRX

- '04 STI

- 350Z/Infiniti G35 Coupe

- Neon SRT-4

- Evo IX MR SE

- Foxbody Mustang

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/4/21 4:45 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Best friend's mom has a 2003 Yukon Denali, which is close enough for this statement.

She bought it in 2002 to replace here GMT400 which replaced a Square Body. This woman knows her suburbans. The thing is amazing. Drives fantastic for being a big truck, quick, smooth, tows great(could use better brakes for towing). And it's been reliable outside of a transmission and a brake line in 440k. GMT800s are really just fantastic.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/4/21 7:09 p.m.

My classic mini. 
it was everything I expected, and them some. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
7/4/21 9:17 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Same.  Unfortunately the hype for the quadrasteer option failed to translate into sales numbers.  But my 2004 2500 QS is pretty amazing for a big tow pig.  The steering makes it navigate parking lots like something 4' shorter.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/5/21 2:08 p.m.

Porsche 991 Carerra S with PDK.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
7/5/21 8:54 p.m.

Every Miata I've driven and the one I own has plastered a massive grin on my face. It just feels right. 

the Prius did not live up to the hype. I drive with the flow of traffic or faster, I didn't become a vegan, and didn't get white guy dreads. I did end up with a cheap to drive and own toyota. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8if5lcb7RJyg4Tjih3lVjWBUjcdSYQqzzS0mSVQFNJDy0HJaeK5GgkfEbmCOAjOn