1 2 3 4
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/20 3:59 p.m.

I was all "not gonna ls swap my tri five" but then i was thinking about it logically now i have the correct oil pan and will be doing so when i get to if.  

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports HalfDork
5/8/20 4:59 p.m.

Yep, a good 56 Nomad is worth over $50k if done well, many ask over $100k or more when super nice.

The joke is they sell for $50k...after you have sunk $75k into them. :)    

So it doesn't need a cheap engine.  I do have a 85 Corvette, the TPI 350 is too boring to put in the Nomad in my opinion.

I like the 454 BBC idea, I've never had a BBC before, and they are a classic choice.

It would be really awesome to put in that V12 LS motor...so I could sell it for $100k after I put $150k into it.   lol

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/8/20 5:35 p.m.
NickD said:

I'm just a big block kinda guy. Cam, heads and intake will wake up even the weakest 454 pretty well.

Everybody thinks of a 450 horsepower 454. 
The sad thing is about 73-74 the horsepower rating of the 454 went to the new SAENet horsepower  235 horsepower!  In marine applications without the catalytic converter the 454  were 310 horsepower 10 more than a 350. 
Now I'd put one of my V12's in. Blow every bodies mind. A 454 has 235 horsepower  That is as much as 90 horsepower less than a V12  if they are both measured the same way  

a JagV12 has 264 DIN net horsepower if tuned to European specs it can have 299 horsepower. DIN net. ( multiply DIN times 1.0139 to get SAE net horsepower numbers. So 303 Hp SAE net ) 

Oh and the last 5 years the engines were stroked to gain an additional 24 horsepower  DIN net m

Talk  about mind blowing!!!!! 
Yes  you can put a LS engine in there.  But you could also put a 5.2 liter V8 Jaguar with 510 stock horsepower.  

I'm old school.  I like carburetors. Funny the 1971-1974 V12's all came with simple 4 one barrels that together are bigger than a Holley Dominator. It will take you three minutes to take one apart.  
It still has a nice old fashioned distributor  right up to 1990 when Ford put their crank triggered coil on plug system.  So if you want to play laptop tuning you can do that too. 
By the way the first fuel injection ECU's were based on 3 Volkswagen rabbit systems. And had a dial right in the trunk that allowed you to switch from lean to rich. 

the 454 is a cast iron lump. Stamped steel valve covers  anything nice is extra. 
The Jaguar is all aluminum. Want bling? Polish it all up!! Including fined aluminum valve cover. Timing cover etc. oh, and has big bearings for only 326 cu in. 
The crankshaft is a forged  of EN 40 steel and specially hardened.  ( weighs 78 pounds) 
you can have fuel injection Side draft carbs or How about a set of Weber's?  There's even two 4 barrel carb ( think Holley's) manifolds floating around. 

It's long 31 inches but narrow 21 inch inches .  you can have the stock GM turbo 400 automatic  or adapt a T56 6 speed. The bell housing alignment bolts are the same as Chevy but you will need to make or buy an adaptor plate etc. 

I used to sell them for $700 each with a guarantee but have seen them cheaper in junkyards. 
oh, put away those metric wrenches.  British you know. They taught us an inch is equal to 3 barley corns out of the center of the ear.  9/16 1/2 etc. good old SAE fine or coarse thread. 

They have a poor reputation because in if you spent that much you want everything perfect .  If a radio stopped working because of a loose ground wires  it was a bad car.  If the mechanic failed to properly tighten the oil filter and all the oil pumped out on the way home and ruined the engine it was a bad car. If leaves flew up between the radiator and the A/C  and caused overheating it was a bad car. 
Fuel injection was new and scary.  A simple failed sensor put otherwise perfect cars in junkyards 

That makes me chuckle. A halo car like a 56 Nomad with a Jaguar engine in it. You get LS power levels with none of the easy parts availability or nice drivability to go with it. But, you would likely get more oil leaks, so there's that going for it.

Frenchy, I think you're about the only guy around that is infatuated with those things.

nimblemotorsports
5/8/20 6:25 p.m.

Now I do like the idea of a big powerful Ford Motor, so like the Blasphemi 55 Chevy with the Dodge Hemi,

I could build the GetEven NotMad   car to make it right all the LS-swapped Mustangs.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/8/20 6:42 p.m.

There isn't anything original about a big block '56 Nomad. Big blocks weren't invented until 1958 (the W block), and 454's didn't arrive until 1970. 

Forget all small block options. That car weighs 4000 lbs. You want torque, not horsepower or high revs. 

If you want cheap, well you already know where to get a 454 free.  But it's a choked down low compression de-rated 454 for motor home use.  Add $3000 to the free engine if you also want power.

I like keeping the bow tie brand.  I'm thinking about the 6.2l LT4.  That will give you about 650 hp.  It should definitely be wearing corvette engine covers.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/8/20 7:24 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

That makes me chuckle. A halo car like a 56 Nomad with a Jaguar engine in it. You get LS power levels with none of the easy parts availability or nice drivability to go with it. But, you would likely get more oil leaks, so there's that going for it.

Frenchy, I think you're about the only guy around that is infatuated with those things.

Take one apart. Look at the quality of the parts. Consider the potential. They will amaze you 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/20 7:24 p.m.

berkeley jaguar engines

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
5/8/20 7:48 p.m.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/8/20 7:52 p.m.

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

You've got a PM

frenchyd said:
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Take one apart. Look at the quality of the parts. Consider the potential. They will amaze you 

I've been fixing cars for 30 years and I'm feeling my age. I'm too tired to monkey with much of anything British at this point. At this point my passion is  for Japanese engines and their jewel-like quality. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
5/8/20 7:54 p.m.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/20 8:07 p.m.

Atlas 6 cylinder.  Be different!  

Scott

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/8/20 8:27 p.m.

I like the idea of a modern BBC, so I'm going to say GM 8.1L with some Aftermarket aluminum heads to add power and reduce weight. That would be more unique than a typical LS or BBC swap, but it would still be "in the family" to avoid turning people off and damaging the value.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/8/20 8:38 p.m.

I like the 8.1L.

And the Atlas 4.2L. (But that would have to be turbocharged). wink

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/20 9:06 p.m.

I think I saw an LS intake that looked like the old Rochester FI units from the long ago times. THAT's the way I would suggest

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/8/20 9:08 p.m.

Look at the car.  Is it nice, and complete enough for some lunatic to spend $50k to buy it as a runner and spend $100k to make it a $75k car?  Don't do something stupid and wreck it. Put a small block of some sort in it, leave all the E36 M3ty parts attached to it, and sell it.

If its closer to scrap, buy the bits and pieces to stuff the free 454 in it, and enjoy the admiring looks in the parking lot.

If you don't care about value, or intend to go full custom, stuff anything you want into it.  Other than a Jag engine.  

I've always thought a World Products 632 with a two year 24,000 mile warranty would be the hot ticket, but that might just be me.  Art Morrison chassis, built 4L80, four inch dual exhaust with nice quiet turbo mufflers, and about fifteen inches of tire stuffed under the fenders, but I've only been on that thought train since about 1979 when I bought my 56.  Which i eventually sold because I never finished starting it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/20 11:18 p.m.

If you want something unique, the owner of this has an original 427 BBC aluminum Winter's block (NOS, still in the crate) and most of the reciprocating assembly (all but the pistons), plus heads, intake, and a whole lot more. 

Edit- to clarify: the first photo is the iron block 427 that he put in his own car.

The remaining photos are of the aluminum big block, which he is willing to sell.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
5/9/20 10:38 a.m.
frenchyd said:
NickD said:

I'm just a big block kinda guy. Cam, heads and intake will wake up even the weakest 454 pretty well.

The sad thing is about 73-74 the horsepower rating of the 454 went to the new SAENet horsepower  235 horsepower!  In marine applications without the catalytic converter the 454  were 310 horsepower 10 more than a 350. 
Now I'd put one of my V12's in. Blow every bodies mind. A 454 has 235 horsepower  That is as much as 90 horsepower less than a V12  if they are both measured the same way  

a JagV12 has 264 DIN net horsepower if tuned to European specs it can have 299 horsepower. DIN net. ( multiply DIN times 1.0139 to get SAE net horsepower numbers. So 303 Hp SAE net ) 

Oh and the last 5 years the engines were stroked to gain an additional 24 horsepower  DIN net m

Yes  you can put a LS engine in there.  But you could also put a 5.2 liter V8 Jaguar with 510 stock horsepower.  

I'm old school.  I like carburetors. Funny the 1971-1974 V12's all came with simple 4 one barrels that together are bigger than a Holley Dominator. It will take you three minutes to take one apart.  
It still has a nice old fashioned distributor  right up to 1990 when Ford put their crank triggered coil on plug system.  So if you want to play laptop tuning you can do that too. 
By the way the first fuel injection ECU's were based on 3 Volkswagen rabbit systems. And had a dial right in the trunk that allowed you to switch from lean to rich. 

the 454 is a cast iron lump. Stamped steel valve covers  anything nice is extra. 
The Jaguar is all aluminum. Want bling? Polish it all up!! Including fined aluminum valve cover. Timing cover etc. oh, and has big bearings for only 326 cu in. 
The crankshaft is a forged  of EN 40 steel and specially hardened.  ( weighs 78 pounds) 
you can have fuel injection Side draft carbs or How about a set of Weber's?  There's even two 4 barrel carb ( think Holley's) manifolds floating around. 

It's long 31 inches but narrow 21 inch inches .  you can have the stock GM turbo 400 automatic  or adapt a T56 6 speed. The bell housing alignment bolts are the same as Chevy but you will need to make or buy an adaptor plate etc. 

I used to sell them for $700 each with a guarantee but have seen them cheaper in junkyards. 
oh, put away those metric wrenches.  British you know. They taught us an inch is equal to 3 barley corns out of the center of the ear.  9/16 1/2 etc. good old SAE fine or coarse thread. 

They have a poor reputation because in if you spent that much you want everything perfect .  If a radio stopped working because of a loose ground wires  it was a bad car.  If the mechanic failed to properly tighten the oil filter and all the oil pumped out on the way home and ruined the engine it was a bad car. If leaves flew up between the radiator and the A/C  and caused overheating it was a bad car. 
Fuel injection was new and scary.  A simple failed sensor put otherwise perfect cars in junkyards 

The 72 to 74 454 corvettes made 270-275 net horsepower.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/20 10:46 a.m.

We got this far and nobody said 2JZ yet? Or was I just undercaffeinated?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/20 11:34 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

We got this far and nobody said 2JZ yet? Or was I just undercaffeinated?

No, not recalling that. No three rotors, either. 

Since we're going down that rabbit hole (or at least I am, please forgive me), how about airplane engines? 

Like a surplus Pratt & Whitney radial? Rolls Royce, Liberty, etc?

I think I really need to get back to work.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
5/9/20 11:48 a.m.
frenchyd said:
NickD said:

The 235hp 454 is the regular car/truck engine. In 73 it made 245 hp then 230 to 235hp in 74 and 75. The regular car jaguar v12 made similar hp in North America trim.

nimblemotorsports
5/9/20 12:57 p.m.

The video on the motorhome engine showed  330hp out of the box on the dyno.

Some aluminum heads and cam at 600 hp for like $3500.    I would rebuild the engine with new rings bearings, maybe pistons too.

I was looking for some old jetboats to steal the motors from, as they can go cheapish and not the hassle of getting rid of a 32ft motorhome hulk, boat hulls you can just take to the dump.

Nobody likes the Ford GetEven NoMad plan?  lol

How about a supercharged Ford V10?  With some tall individual throttle bodies sticking out the hood?

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/9/20 1:30 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
frenchyd said:
NickD said:

The 235hp 454 is the regular car/truck engine. In 73 it made 245 hp then 230 to 235hp in 74 and 75. The regular car jaguar v12 made similar hp in North America trim.

The 71-74 Carb V12 made 242 DIN net.  Nice neighborhood to be in for a cheap all aluminum engine with Forged steel crank. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/9/20 1:50 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
frenchyd said:
NickD said:

Let him go, he's rollin'

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zb2u5qbj3RZyWdhiyqvZvAhvpQFGzXhLxbobTvEw1FFff7DWzFt8vJu7sK9G9RVL