1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/4/23 10:48 a.m.
feature_image

Some race tracks are known for challenging corners, while others are lauded for their extensive history–but what about their food offerings?

Which race tracks have the best trackside concessions?

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/4/23 11:31 a.m.

The old Athens Speedway used to have some killer corndogs. Late in the evening, they’d do a two-fer. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/4/23 11:33 a.m.

An ear of corn, grilled still in the husk over an open fire on a piece of chainlink fence then dipped into a coffee can full of "butter" at Road America, and these fries with ketchup, mayo and chopped onion at the Nurburgring. 

Colin Wood
5/4/23 11:35 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I bet that chopped onion really elevated those Pommes frittes.

JG Pasterjak
5/4/23 11:40 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

I bet that chopped onion really elevated those Pommes frittes.

You have to order them as "pommes spezial" to get the onions and it's an extra .50 euro but worth every penny. They come with a tiny fry-sized fork,and whoever applies the ketchup and mayo has clearly studied their craft because the proportion and distribution are exceptional.

JG Pasterjak
5/4/23 11:43 a.m.

Honorable mention for Nachos at the Hyundai press tent. 

Colin Wood
5/4/23 11:44 a.m.

You had me at "tiny fry-sized fork."

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 12:02 p.m.

Road America always has solid food. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
5/4/23 12:17 p.m.

Martinsville is legendary for their $2 hot dogs. I had one once but didn't know the drill and ended up with pretty much no toppings by accident. it was still good though, so I can only imagine that it's even better with all the bells and whistles.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
5/4/23 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Good to know. I do like to avoid tracks that serve only beverages.

CFB
CFB New Reader
5/4/23 1:52 p.m.

Port Royal Speedway

The churches do the food. The hot sausages are great. They are bratwurst cooked on a grill with onions and peppers.  The rolls are toasted by pressing them on the grill. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/4/23 2:08 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Road America always has solid food. 

Bratwurst, onion, kraut and mustard on a bun at 8am at Corner 14?  Priceless.

Corn mentioned above is legendary too.  

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/4/23 7:41 p.m.

Road America.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/23 8:03 p.m.

Road America is high on the list.

High plains raceway used to have a food truck for events that made the best breakfast burritos I have ever had.

Nelson ledges usually has a few really good food trucks!

Watkins Glen and VIR generally suck at food, imho.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
5/4/23 8:14 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

An ear of corn, grilled still in the husk over an open fire on a piece of chainlink fence then dipped into a coffee can full of "butter" at Road America, and these fries with ketchup, mayo and chopped onion at the Nurburgring. 

Is it regular mayo or that specific European fry sauce that's a lot like mayo but not quite? I love that stuff. It looks a little yellower like it could be the fry sauce.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
5/4/23 8:15 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

Martinsville is legendary for their $2 hot dogs. I had one once but didn't know the drill and ended up with pretty much no toppings by accident. it was still good though, so I can only imagine that it's even better with all the bells and whistles.

Yes the PINK hot dogs. Most hot dogs are close to pink but the Martinsville hot dogs are PINK. They are really good.

JG Pasterjak
5/4/23 8:37 p.m.
GCrites80s said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Is it regular mayo or that specific European fry sauce that's a lot like mayo but not quite? I love that stuff. It looks a little yellower like it could be the fry sauce.

It's regular mayo, but most mayo I've have in Germany is always a little creamier, like is uses a higher ratio of egg yolk and a sweeter oil in the emulsion. It's almost got a flavor like "If Miracle Whip were actually good"

ConiglioRampante
ConiglioRampante New Reader
5/4/23 8:55 p.m.

Another fan of the food at Road America here.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/4/23 8:58 p.m.

Whatever track my wife is showing up at.

When I was racing motorcycles she'd bring some sort of marinated meet, with baked potatoes and grilled veggies.

My fellow racers used to query me on how on earth I got Jer to do this.

As for actual track food most of it is hideous........much respect for places like Road America where it is actually good.

jb229
jb229 Reader
5/5/23 2:01 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I can second VIR sucking.  Spent all the money on the fancy restaurant and the stuff you can actually buy at the track is straight out of the freezer and into the fryer.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/5/23 2:30 a.m.

If you're looking for creamier, yolkier mayo, you need to go to the Asian market and get Kewpie.

Hoppps
Hoppps
5/5/23 7:35 a.m.

Longtime lurker - I created an account just for this.

My wife swears that burger shack with the indoor dining area at Sebring behind the pits/loft area has the best tomatoes. She swears they're home grown and the Florida water has made something taste good (normally I despise Florida water). 

JG Pasterjak
5/5/23 9:40 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

If you're looking for creamier, yolkier mayo, you need to go to the Asian market and get Kewpie.

That's a good comparison, actually. European-market mayo is like a slightly sweeter Kewpie. 

Kinda wondering how TSA would feel about me bringing some back.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/5/23 10:10 a.m.

NCM's rice bowls were nother level. Then last time they had tacos :-(.

Barber is at the bottom. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/5/23 10:53 a.m.

NCM as in National Corvette Museum?

I may head to an event at Road America just to see if the track food is really that good.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5QWVUFea8IRqgskjTrJfEwNqJfb8FOqJSUcAB0OMzjIMkgdf3BEepdwn2kQN07ax