1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/20/23 12:29 p.m.
feature_image

Who says a license plate can’t provide identification without some flair?

License plates across the country feature various colors, logos and patterns, but which state offers the best-looking plates? (And yes, for the sake of this discussion, we’ll include Canada, too.)

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
9/20/23 12:31 p.m.

I'm sad to report that my inspiration for writing this item, the Canadian territory of Nunavut, has sense changed the shape of its license plates from this:

To this:

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/20/23 12:44 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/23 12:46 p.m.

Here's a full set of current ones for reference:

We could also get into functional differences. Vermont plates that work around title issues? Tax-free Montana plates? Honorary mention to Ontario's briefly-issued accidental stealth plates?

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/23 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

That's because the Northwest Territories told them to berkeley off (not really but apparently until 2012 Nunavut licensed the plate design from them but the dies were wearing out so they decided to go their own way with the plate above).

So, that plate is still used in the Northwest Territories. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/20/23 12:49 p.m.

Call me biased:

David S. Wallens
9/20/23 12:52 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Of the current plates, I’m always going with New Hampshire: Live free or die. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/20/23 1:27 p.m.

Colorado or Alaska

350z247
350z247 Reader
9/20/23 1:36 p.m.

Honestly, I want the dullest, most bland license plate possible in whatever color best hides on my car. Luckily, I don't have to run a front plate in NC, but I'd be even more picky if I did.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/20/23 1:38 p.m.

New Mexico has some real bangers. I love the chile pepper one

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/20/23 1:47 p.m.

I like the old NY Statue of Liberty plate.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
9/20/23 1:51 p.m.

I have about all 50 state plates decorating the upper walls of my garage, including some very old plates, European plates, motorcycle plates, etc.  I even have a sheriff's association plate on one of my cars (sort of a get-out-of-a-speeding-ticket card for NC where I live, but it does not work in SC--be warned). 

Most standard issue plates are boring, but some states have become more aware of this and are offering a greater variety, but mostly at a cost to the owner.

As far as STANDARD ISSUE plates are concerned, I am drawn to MD plates where the crest or colors of their flag show up--it's almost medieval looking;the MD flag is amazing looking in my opinion and one of my faves.  

Vehicle registration plates of Maryland - Wikipedia

David S. Wallens
9/20/23 1:52 p.m.

My license plate pet peeve: URLs on them. 

www.visitcoloradoforfunandadventure/colorado.2023/state.gov

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/20/23 1:58 p.m.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
9/20/23 2:00 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Not so much a "full set" as it is a representative sample. MD, for instance, has about 40 different plate designs, from organizational to "save the bay" and MD Farmers" plates, all that have different graphics and colors on them.

Colin Wood
9/20/23 2:10 p.m.
adam525i said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

That's because the Northwest Territories told them to berkeley off (not really but apparently until 2012 Nunavut licensed the plate design from them but the dies were wearing out so they decided to go their own way with the plate above).

Ah. The Northwest Territories is the plate I must have originally been thinking of.

Thank you for cleaning that up.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/23 2:33 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
adam525i said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

Ah. The Northwest Territories is the plate I must have originally been thinking of.

Thank you for cleaning that up.

Iirc they're also just numbered sequentially, so you can tell how old they are by the number. I remember seeing double digits in Yellowknife, can't remember if I saw a single digit one or not. I think I remember seeing #7. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/23 2:34 p.m.
Chris_V said:
GameboyRMH said:

Not so much a "full set" as it is a representative sample. MD, for instance, has about 40 different plate designs, from organizational to "save the bay" and MD Farmers" plates, all that have different graphics and colors on them.

CO introduced a throwback black plate with white letters. It looks incredibly generic and is very popular. Janel wants one for the black cars :) I think it would cost $7 to get one. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/23 2:34 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That is one of my favorites too. I would love that plate but not enough to move to New Mexico. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
9/20/23 2:42 p.m.

Pennsylvania's Niagara plate is easily the best, especially if stealth is what you're after.  

Florida's Endless Summer plate is a personal favorite of mine.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/23 2:59 p.m.

Michigan has gone through a bunch of different plates in the past 20 years, from this plain blue to the boring white to the "bridge" plate that was probably the best of the past 10 years or so:

But last year, they brought back this classic:

That's what all my cars are now wearing.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/23 3:04 p.m.

Ours are a lovely bland. frown

Ask LaFleur: When will I get my new South Carolina license plate?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/23 3:26 p.m.

One of my favorites of my personal collection is the old green CO rocky plates. 

I also have a Hawaii rainbow plate, which might be retiring next year

Pictures not actually mine, just for reference. I should photograph my collection though. I have almost 40 states I think, including some hard ones like Hawaii and North Dakota.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/20/23 3:30 p.m.
j_tso said:

I like the old NY Statue of Liberty plate.

I like the ones where the statue is on the left. One in particular of course.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
9/20/23 3:33 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I saw a Hawaii plate driving around the countryside west of Charlotte once. I think it was a beat up old GM minivan. I have no idea how it got there.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A8969fEV88UUWndowSsojGEwbZk1lrD2pSmRUkM28DI38p5SD5B80JdoK2BdmwBF