1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/11/21 6:41 a.m.

The newest C-max you can find in top trim level is a pretty darn nice car, too. If you skip the plug-in version it has decent storage space in back and it will still give mid-40s in mixed driving.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/11/21 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

That's not a terrible suggestion. I'm not in love with the looks, and I don't know about recent Ford reliability, but the price is right and you can get them nicely equipped...

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/12/21 6:07 a.m.

I'll throw this out as a curveball. It's an SUV but my 6 speed Mazda CX-5 was pretty entertaning to drive and had decent cargo room.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/12/21 6:51 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

My elder daughter found and bought one. We trained from Philly down to lower VA and drove it back. I don't know the exact details but it was one of the higher trims.

Very nice leather seats, all the electronic conveniences you could want if you like that stuff, a nice big sunroof, and it drives well enough considering what it is.  Electric torque takes a lot of the penalty out of economy cars.

Plenty of room inside for 4 passengers. The plug-in version raises the cargo floor about 2" - hers is not the plug-in and she gets 4 big tubs of our T+S gear in it every autocross day, with the back seats down.

Hers has been dead nuts reliable outside of routine maintenance.  It's a 2013 she bought in about 2017 as a freeway-mileage creampuff with roughly 70k (I think?) on it?  It has well over 100k on it now, maybe 110,000.

And yeah, they're a good value on the used market.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/12/21 7:58 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Looks like it has a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder? What kind of gas mileage do you get? I had a CX-7 that was actually an enjoyable drive, but the gas mileage wasn't great and the 2.3T suffered from a lot of turbo issues

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
8/12/21 9:25 a.m.

Off the wall and mostly German, how about a MINI Clubman with the 3 cylinder turbo?

You can get a manual too.  The F series are proving to be reliable, you can lux them up a ton and they are pretty fun.

Probably 35+ mpg on the highway.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/12/21 11:00 a.m.
Aspen said:

Off the wall and mostly German, how about a MINI Clubman with the 3 cylinder turbo?

You can get a manual too.  The F series are proving to be reliable, you can lux them up a ton and they are pretty fun.

Probably 35+ mpg on the highway.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/21 11:48 a.m.

You know this thread had me thinking that it is too bad they never made a Tesla Model S Wagon.  Offer it at a trim level like the model 3 to keep the price down.  Make it look like the Mazda 6 wagon or a CLS550 wagon ( not sold here in the states) in terms of style.  If I was better at photoshop I would try and make one.

dean1484
8/12/21 11:52 a.m.

Ok internet is saying it may have happened or at least may have been considered or is being considered?

dean1484
8/12/21 11:54 a.m.

I actually really like that!!!  Seems like it was a one off.

dean1484
8/12/21 11:56 a.m.

And another one-off that someone built.  Again I really like it!!!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/tesla-model-s-shooting-brake-we-drive-electric-estate

calteg
calteg Dork
8/12/21 11:59 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's funny, I drove my friend's Model3 and really liked it, just wished it was a wagon

calteg
calteg Dork
8/12/21 12:07 p.m.

Just wanted to point out how gorgeous this Volvo is. Way out of my price range, but wowzers:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/12/21 12:18 p.m.
calteg said:

Just wanted to point out how gorgeous this Volvo is. Way out of my price range, but wowzers:

Why, thank you!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/12/21 12:24 p.m.
calteg said:

In reply to dean1484 :

That's funny, I drove my friend's Model3 and really liked it, just wished it was a wagon

Model Y?  It seems to be the Model3 that got the CUV treatment.  This then begs the question of weather the current CUVs are the new wagon?

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/12/21 1:27 p.m.

I got 32-34 mpg roughly mixed driving when I had my cx-5. It was a 2 liter engine. Highway drives were closer to 37 mpg. It was totaled in a head on wreck @45 mph a couple years ago. Walked away without a scratch. Safe vehicles I might add. I miss that thing.

dean1484
8/12/21 1:39 p.m.

To hell with millage.  Life is too short to drive boring. Import a W218 CLS63.  

Not sure about federalization but there is a sedan version of this legal here so maybe?

dean1484
8/12/21 1:40 p.m.

Ya I am no help am I.  laugh

calteg
calteg Dork
8/12/21 1:58 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I mean, 70% of GRM is enablement of poor decisions.

My neighbor had a CTS-V wagon. I lusted after that thing, but it was in the shop fairly often and he reported that single digit MPGs were pretty frequent.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/12/21 3:21 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I'm not sure fuel economy is the problem with those.

dean1484
8/12/21 7:29 p.m.
Duke said:
dean1484 said:

I'm not sure fuel economy is the problem with those.

I have the same year sedan version of that car (cls550 4matic) and it has been bullet proof sans rigorous maintenance on my part.  The 10 quart oil changes with Mobil one euro formula every 4K miles may be a bit excessive on my part but in the big picture it is cheep insurances. All other scheduled maintenance I do at intervals of about 75 percent of the Mercedes recommend interval.  I have put just under 50k miles on mine in two years and it has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever had. 

I am use to the care and feeding of euro cars. I have had at least one in my driveway for over 30 years. They get a bad rap but really they just require you to keep up with the maintenance. And like I said I shorten it up to 75 percent of the recommended intervals.  Oh and don't be cheep and use bargain bacement parts. Just don't do this. Lastly if getting used the servic history is key. A 4th owner 2005 s500 you purchas from a kid that can't afford the gas is going to be a POS.  You have to be proactive with euro cars and Maintence.  Honda's and Toyota's you can get away with bein more reactive. (Let it break and then fix it). Do this with most euro cars and you will be complaining. Euro car ownership is not for everyone. It takes a different mind set and commitment. But the rewards are that generally they are much more rewarding cars to drive than there Japanese or American counterparts. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s5pr0yqOAC88Laja73gVihsjeazfBqmFvPWzVebWYwiLkTxgHwZ3kGR9yEvy3Oxg