1 2 3 4
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/19 5:53 p.m.

It's not my daily driver, but I drive the 1998 Volvo every day.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/3/19 5:54 p.m.

1986 in summer, 1988 in winter.  There's also a 1961 in the garage but it's not a daily driver.

When I started my first job out of college in the late 1970s, there was another engineer there who daily drove a Model T Ford, year around, in Minnesota.  That was hard core.  smiley

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
12/3/19 6:15 p.m.

When I was in college I was a lot cooler and daily drove a 1962 Comet. Now I'm lame and my winter daily is a 1996 XJ, summer is a 1999 e36.

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/3/19 7:11 p.m.

No Salt...

From 98 to 02, my DD (occasional DD the last 2 years) haven't driven since 07... was a 1948 Ford F-6 COE! DD'd a 1980 Malibu Wagon for a year after that and a 92 Buick for a while. Just bought a NEW truck - 03 F350!

Gotta finish a shop, so I can take the CabOver down to the frame, and start over!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/19 7:14 p.m.

I ride a '77 all the time, but my wife gets mad when I say that.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
12/3/19 7:19 p.m.

The newest car that I own is an '89 (I'm not counting my wife's van).

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/3/19 7:26 p.m.

Not a guy here but a great story - only in the land of no road salt can you go 40 years.  

http://www.roadkill.com/the-camaro-thats-been-to-the-moon-and-back-sort-of/

mw
mw Dork
12/3/19 7:49 p.m.

Year round with lots of winter and salt, I drive my 87 4runner. My commute is about 80km each way. It gets washed a few times a week to keep it from rusting too fast, but I know it will eventually return to the earth. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/3/19 7:51 p.m.

In the past I drove this for 9 months straight, even got stuck in the rain out here in California.  7 mile commute and did errands in it as well. Did have a truck at the time but almost never used it. 

Right now 2001 I use the Lightning more then anything else. 

Cactus
Cactus Reader
12/3/19 7:52 p.m.

I wish I still had it, but I was driving a roofless '70 MGB with a 12a swap to work. It was a lot of fun to play weatherman roulette.

Currently a 96 or 97 Ford truck in bad weather, an 88 535is with an 85 524td engine and a 5 speed when there's no salt. (I'm a big fan of weird swaps)

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/19 9:05 p.m.

Florida, no salt.

My wife gets the newer car, a 2014 Mazda 5.

I split the DD between the 04 Ralliart wagon and the 88 Silverado. The latter is currently sidelined with a fuel delivery problem, but it's been as reliable as a hammer for the first 400k miles.

This 01 Miata has been replaced with a 99 hard S for autocross.

Nothing here is old enough to be cool, just old. Like me.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/19 9:35 p.m.
Duke said:

Up until 1991 I drove Curtis's 1967 Le Mans every day, rain, snow, or shine.  When I retired it to fair-weather duty it was 24 years old and had about 260,000 miles on it.

Has 276k on it now :)

For me, every day driver is a 1994.

Someday soon, that will be a 67 LeMans on non-salty days.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/3/19 10:03 p.m.

I drove my X1/9 today. it was made in June of 1980, but I loose to Barefootskater because it has an "81 title. I on the other hand am a '52 model, so the car is younger by a bit. We have road salt today too. Pic from almost a year ago. I don't have a driveway or garage either, it is street parked every day. I have owned it 15 years now. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/3/19 10:12 p.m.

I have several I drive to work and just rotate through.  The oldest is a 1980 450sel.  It still has cold ac and runs real good,  but slow.  It will get a 6.9 swap once my new shop is finished.  My commute is currently 72 miles round trip.

TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
12/3/19 10:17 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

I'm not near the top of the list I'm sure.

But I currently daily a 67 beetle.  Stock engine (original) and trans.  

Reno NV snows too.  It's never stopped me.

The only time it has let me down was when the fuel pump let go. 

(And that time it got a hole in the carb)

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/3/19 10:28 p.m.

I drove my 1969 GMC Suburban every day last year and a few months this year but the reality was that work was stressing me out and the added difficulty of driving a 50 year old truck with manual trans (non syncro 1st gear), heavy clutch, heavy throttle, no radio and a heater that had only two settings (off and full blast) was just too much. I now am coddled by my 2017 Ram Power Wagon and am much happier for it. I am doing a body off restoration of the Suburban so maybe I can fix some of the issues.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/3/19 11:39 p.m.

I thought I had this, until TrulySpooky posted.

I daily a '77 C10, sun, rain, snow, salt, whatever.  Complete with loose converter, gears, no OD, and lumpy cam 10mpg goodness.

From a couple years ago, stuck at the end of my street:

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
12/4/19 6:57 a.m.

My wife's daily driver is a 1977 Triumph TR7 5 speed coupe, and we live in Massachusetts.  6 inches of snow out there now.  Its been her car for going on two years now, ever since I wrecked her 2000 Range Rover.  She took the TR7, and I got the Rover's 4.6L to drop into a TR8 coupe.  During the Summer she will occasionally take a TR8 convertible.  Over the last couple of months, my wife and daughter have taken the car to do multiple college visits as far as 200 miles away.  How many people can say their wife daily's a 42 year old British Car?  Never left her stranded.  Shut off on me once when the fuel pump died 300 yards after I left the driveway.  Turns out fuse wire was broken where the wire contacts the cup on the end.  Fuse was good, but only when cup was pushed up against the wire.  Just bought her some stayfast canvas for the car.  She wants to recover the sliding folding moonroof, because the original vinyl is getting tired.  She has already claimed the the white TR8 coupe getting the 4.6L when I finish it.  She made new seat covers for it and helped with the body work prior to painting it.  Even thou the white coupe also has a sliding roof, she has requested AC. She also wants power steering, and a killer stereo on the finished product.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/4/19 7:11 a.m.

Until 2 years ago when it started acting up, my DD was an 86 Nissan truck with around 400k miles on it.  It’s the only vehicle I have ever bought new.  Still own it, but don’t have possession of it at the moment.  

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/4/19 8:42 a.m.

1998 Honda Civic.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
12/4/19 8:49 a.m.
Cotton said:

I have several I drive to work and just rotate through.  The oldest is a 1980 450sel.  It still has cold ac and runs real good,  but slow.  It will get a 6.9 swap once my new shop is finished.  My commute is currently 72 miles round trip.

My race team has passed around our 1979 W116 as the backup daily. I drove it for a month, mid winter, while my e36 was down for paint. They're really nice driving cars. What wheels are those? I kinda have a thing for dark blue cars with gold mesh wheels.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/4/19 9:15 a.m.

April to October 1978 zephyr wagon

winter months are a 1990 ranger 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/19 9:42 a.m.

So thus far, does the crown go to a pair of old beetles? I will assume that Carl's other fleet vehicles do not meet the test as they appear to be occasional use. Pretty impressive anyway. I asked the question after watching the Cold War Motors segments on the 1949 Frasier, which was Scotts daily until he upgraded to the 1971 Citroen. 

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
12/4/19 10:04 a.m.
tr8todd said:

My wife's daily driver is a 1977 Triumph TR7 5 speed coupe, and we live in Massachusetts.  6 inches of snow out there now.  Its been her car for going on two years now, ever since I wrecked her 2000 Range Rover.  She took the TR7, and I got the Rover's 4.6L to drop into a TR8 coupe.  During the Summer she will occasionally take a TR8 convertible.  Over the last couple of months, my wife and daughter have taken the car to do multiple college visits as far as 200 miles away.  How many people can say their wife daily's a 42 year old British Car?  Never left her stranded.  Shut off on me once when the fuel pump died 300 yards after I left the driveway.  Turns out fuse wire was broken where the wire contacts the cup on the end.  Fuse was good, but only when cup was pushed up against the wire.  Just bought her some stayfast canvas for the car.  She wants to recover the sliding folding moonroof, because the original vinyl is getting tired.  She has already claimed the the white TR8 coupe getting the 4.6L when I finish it.  She made new seat covers for it and helped with the body work prior to painting it.  Even thou the white coupe also has a sliding roof, she has requested AC. She also wants power steering, and a killer stereo on the finished product.

Excellent stuff - I used to daily my '80 TR7 back in Blighty, first of all with the original 2.0 8v, then a 3.5 on carbs, back to a 2.0 8v, then finally a Sprint lump.  Daily drove it for quite a few years in it's various incarnations - gravel spec suspension, quickrack, a 3.5 and a hydraulic handbrake made for a fun commutecheeky I also intermittently dailied a ('69 I think) Triumph Toledo, and a Series 3 Landy.

Sadly due to safety considerations here in Peru, those days are a long gone now.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/4/19 10:24 a.m.

Until 2009, I drove a 1988 Fiero GT as my only car. I'd owned it since 1990. The picture also has that car's successor,  a 2009 Solstice coupe (as well as some other cars that I used for sunny days only - if you can identify them you have good eyes!).

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eqR71xT5Tv2t1YpfEsFFixx5hl0EQLY1zYyNjPTgOTbDiWsSQo4Pkc6egxAt0aZN