1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/17/22 10:08 a.m.
feature_image

Before prices for water-cooled Porsche 911s go any higher, we're diving in–you know, checking things out for ourselves.

First, we had to narrow the field. If you're also shopping for one, here's some reading that might help: First-time Porsche buyer's guide: 5 models perfect for scratching that itch.

We decided to aim for a 997 car because they sport a …

Read the rest of the story

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/17/22 11:02 a.m.

That looks very clean. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it going forward.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/22 11:03 a.m.

Why did we just buy a water-cooled Porsche 911? | Project Porsche 997

Why wouldn't you?  

[referring to the Porsche] It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/17/22 11:15 a.m.

Very nice. And I even like the color!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 11:29 a.m.

Oooh!

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/22 11:58 a.m.

I see PCM and a red console, pricey options. Nice car, so much better than a 996!

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/22 12:22 p.m.

Color me jealous. 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
2/17/22 12:35 p.m.

The very definition of "creampuff."  What are the known issues with the 997?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 12:47 p.m.

love the car, but those wheels have got to go ASAP.  i didn't think it was possible to make a wheel uglier than the C5 wagon wheel, so congrats Porsche?

nomohops
nomohops New Reader
2/17/22 1:19 p.m.

I agree on the wheels. Lobster claws, as they’re known, have to be the ugliest wheels ever put on a Porsche. (And I'm a Porsche guy,but I'm not blind)  Looking forward to these articles. 

Chazooo
Chazooo New Reader
2/17/22 1:20 p.m.

I'm surprised you had the balls to take a 6 or 8 hour trip on 14 year old tires.  Autometrics likely had some 997 takeoffs that were newer and safer.  GAAH

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/17/22 1:29 p.m.

I need more friends like that...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/22 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Chazooo :

2007 wasn't that long ago, was it? 

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
2/17/22 2:04 p.m.

Nice, very nice.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 2:13 p.m.

Well, prices may be headed up. laugh

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 2:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Chazooo :

If you haven't left yet, I would HIGHLY recommend changing those. Here's what happened to my 2013 tires on my red Porsche last night...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/well-that-was-a-butt-pucker-blown-tire-on-highway-in-the-944-with-kids/191876/page1/

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/22 2:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Chazooo :

It was long enough ago that the daughter I had that year is already proficient driving 5MT in my M3.  (closed course, professional? driver)  Time marches on!

Love the 997, can't wait to see updates.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/17/22 3:10 p.m.

Because of course you bought a low mileage, perfect 997 for wholesale value.  You've gotta give some of us normal people the hook up you guys always seem to get...

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/17/22 4:27 p.m.

Since you mentioned an ECU tune, on my 991.2 I did a Softronic flash. I was looking at APR, Cobb and Softronic. Went in the direction I did because the owner/tuner (name is Scott) worked directly with me in terms of what I wanted, so it's a bit better than an off the shelf tune. I wanted my auto start/stop disabled, and a 91 octane tune because of the gas in my area.  https://www.softronicsoftware.com/997-1-carrera-performance-software-05-08/ Looks like what you want. They also offer power packages with exhaust and cat options. I'm super happy with my results.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/17/22 5:16 p.m.

I actually don't mind those wheels. 

That's a verrry nice car, congrats!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/22 5:34 p.m.

These kind of deals are reserved for automotive royalty, congrats y'all! 

antonio
antonio
2/17/22 5:57 p.m.

Congrats! The 997.1 series are absolutely great cars and still affordable. For the price of a newish hot hatch you can get a 911 that is still in great shape. There have been some well documents issues with engines but they are not nearly as common or severe as the fearmongers will have you believe.  With the right maintenance and some preventative modifications, these cars are just as reliable and durable as anything out there. Working on them is also pretty simple, especially compared to most other modern performance cars. My 2005 is pushing 100,000 miles and sees 6-8 track days a year. It runs flawlessly and looks just as good. Can't wait to read more about it.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 7:43 p.m.

Check for dry rot around the circumference of those Michelins (in between the tread blocks). The original Michelins on my 2006 Cayman S died an early, low mileage death. Fortunately, I spotted it in time. Those are probably the same tires. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/17/22 7:56 p.m.

Lobster claws actually look really good on a 944s, 968s and 928s.

Erikl
Erikl New Reader
2/17/22 8:39 p.m.

Cant belive nobody has said IMS yet laugh(it has been alluded too).  I love the look of the 997.  Very interested in this unfortunately its probably too nice to turn into a track/street car. 

I am really curious if these motors can handle some track time - I have read that they have oil starve issues with sustained high Gs

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zTTFNpC1JIu6S6vPZHyUyMVCH6trrQvOkqHvAzYcxqKXhXOF93g5aOu1SrBVTrUd