1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/30/13 1:05 p.m.

This is a recurring thought for me. I don't even know much about them, I dog on their lower output/higher fuel consumption vs other 2.6L engines...........yet I love the ridiculous sound a ported, high revving rotary makes.

It's also my understanding that rotaries tend to be the happiest when they are being beaten on, which is good for a track car.

But I've read the fab work needed isn't any easier than many other swaps.

So why do I want to do this?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
5/30/13 1:10 p.m.

i dunno, but the same bug bit me.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
5/30/13 1:15 p.m.

I have NO idea.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/13 1:20 p.m.

Because it's what everyone thinks when they see the Mazda name on the Miata. "Why doesn't it have a rotary?"

Meanwhile, everyone who calls us up looking for performance always says they want more torque. Seems to me the two questions answer each other

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/30/13 1:27 p.m.

Anything will be an increase in performance over a stock ECU 1.6!

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/30/13 1:40 p.m.

mmm torques

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/30/13 1:41 p.m.

You want a rotary because they're capable of more performance either n/a or turbo than a Mazda B-series motor.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
5/30/13 2:02 p.m.

The sound. The torque curve. The Sound. The powerband.

Last year I got to drive a FB RX-7 with a nice bridge port 13b running through a 4.78 final drive.

This was after having spent a good amount of time driving a turbo 1.8 Miata with a 4.10 final drive.

These are both scca rallycross cars, so traction is limited. My immediate reaction was that the 13b might be 'better.'

This is what I told Evan: "The power is just everywhere: flat torque curve, and it goes on seemingly forever. "

If/when I get another miata, I would be very tempted to swap in a rotary.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/30/13 2:13 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: You want a rotary because they're capable of more performance either n/a or turbo than a Mazda B-series motor.

This is true.

However, I just started looking at cost's to build a proper rotary.

And I thought building a nasty N/A B18 to around 165-170whp would pricey. The rotaries are on a whole other level of $$$$$

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/13 2:21 p.m.
cghstang wrote: The sound. The torque curve. The Sound. The powerband. Last year I got to drive a FB RX-7 with a nice bridge port 13b running through a 4.78 final drive. This was after having spent a good amount of time driving a turbo 1.8 Miata with a 4.10 final drive. These are both scca rallycross cars, so traction is limited. My immediate reaction was that the 13b might be 'better.' This is what I told Evan: "The power is just everywhere: flat torque curve, and it goes on seemingly forever. " If/when I get another miata, I would be very tempted to swap in a rotary.

Stop making me want to swap a rotary in the Miata.

I still want to put one in a MGB or Midget.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/30/13 2:28 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: You want a rotary because they're capable of more performance either n/a or turbo than a Mazda B-series motor.
This is true. However, I just started looking at cost's to build a proper rotary. And I thought building a nasty N/A B18 to around 165-170whp would pricey. The rotaries are on a whole other level of $$$$$

The price of getting a rotary to 165-170whp is significantly cheaper than building a BP to that power n/a, and the rotary will be much faster at that power level due to a much bigger powerband.

If i get sick of the F2T in my other Miata, i'm putting a bridged 13B in it with a turbo the size of my face.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/13 3:09 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
This is true. However, I just started looking at cost's to build a proper rotary. And I thought building a nasty N/A B18 to around 165-170whp would pricey. The rotaries are on a whole other level of $$$$$
The price of getting a rotary to 165-170whp is significantly cheaper than building a BP to that power n/a, and the rotary will be much faster at that power level due to a much bigger powerband. If i get sick of the F2T in my other Miata, i'm putting a bridged 13B in it with a turbo the size of my face.

Right a stock TII 13b with bolt ons is plenty in a Miata.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
5/30/13 3:14 p.m.

I dunno, I want to do it too. The only problem is that every time I "price" it out, taking into acount everything from gas mileage to weight to end performance and cost, a V8 or turbo just seems to make more sense.

Not that any of that matters. Rotaries just have a lot of soul that cannot be replaced.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/30/13 3:19 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
The price of getting a rotary to 165-170whp is significantly cheaper than building a BP to that power n/a, and the rotary will be much faster at that power level due to a much bigger powerband. If i get sick of the F2T in my other Miata, i'm putting a bridged 13B in it with a turbo the size of my face.

"Plenty" is subjective. I'm looking for a car that has a high probability of making me E36 M3 myself, or i'm uninterested. It's going to have a hard act to follow in the F2T.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
5/30/13 3:37 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: However, I just started looking at cost's to build a proper rotary. And I thought building a nasty N/A B18 to around 165-170whp would pricey. The rotaries are on a whole other level of $$$$$

Street port gets you there and you can do it yourself with some $50 templates from racingbeat.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/13 3:39 p.m.

Whilte plenty is subjective, I made 321 whp on a streetported TII 13b with a Haltech E6k in the back of a 75 911, which cant weigh much different than an NA Miata. It WAS plenty as in pucker up.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/30/13 3:46 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: Whilte plenty is subjective, I made 321 whp on a streetported TII 13b with a Haltech E6k in the back of a 75 911, which cant weigh much different than an NA Miata. It WAS plenty as in pucker up.

I'm looking at more like.... 600whp.

I'm aware it won't be useful in any way.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/30/13 3:50 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
z31maniac wrote:

Not interested in tarbo'z for a track car where 3 months of the season are regularly above 100°

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
5/30/13 3:54 p.m.

I recall a thread started by someone on another forum who actually did the swap. I vaguely recall the synopsis as:

"It's a lot harder than you'd expect, and the car sucks now. I wish I hadn't done it."

The right answer is turbo. The righter answer is LSx swap.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/13 4:06 p.m.

It's telling that there are a number of people who are serial V8 converters, but nobody ever seems to do a second rotary.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/30/13 4:14 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Pics? I have a strange attraction to bastardized 911s.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/30/13 4:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's telling that there are a number of people who are serial V8 converters, but nobody ever seems to do a second rotary.

I wonder if the fact that there's an excellent all-inclusive V8 swap kit or two on the market sways those numbers at all?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
5/30/13 4:19 p.m.

You have to beat on a rotary regularly to keep it happy. Most people don't seem to understand that.

peter
peter HalfDork
5/30/13 4:21 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: It's telling that there are a number of people who are serial V8 converters, but nobody ever seems to do a second rotary.
I wonder if the fact that there's an excellent all-inclusive V8 swap kit or two on the market sways those numbers at all?

I wonder if the fact there's an excellent all-inclusive V8 swap kit or two on the market is swayed by the ease/value of the swap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/30/13 4:23 p.m.
peter wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
I wonder if the fact there's an excellent all-inclusive V8 swap kit or two on the market is swayed by the ease/value of the swap.

The "ease" part comes with the kit.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V6iwryAQH692Yifa83CRz3dKazNKeRwPvf8vCsFebYeivd4S0PLtrmDDrB9i0G3w