1 2 3
mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/5/11 10:43 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Didn't really understand it myself untilI drove one. My SE-R has probably at least 70hp more, a generally better ride, and lots of the of "stuff" the Miata is missing. Despite the fact that it started out in the "sport compact" catagory, and has most of the available Nismo performance upgrades, it feel positively numb compaired to the Miata. Now that I've owned the Miata for a month, I'm actually considering selling the SE-R.

If you only have the two cars, I wouldn't recommend selling the SE-R if you don't have to. It is nice to have a second car when you do need a back seat, or on those days that we do get in the midwest that snow tires on a low RWD car just aren't going to cut it.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/5/11 10:44 p.m.
steverife wrote:
sanman wrote:
steverife wrote: I hate the things on the street and dislike them more and more every time I autocross one.
The better question is why do you keep autocrossing them if you dislike them so much?
People will offer to switch rides and I'll forget how I don't really enjoy them. My niche seems to be Hondas...

Sounds like the opposite of me. I've driven a lot of fun FWD cars, and the more and more I do, the more and more I appreciate my Miata.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
9/5/11 11:08 p.m.

My experience driving miatas has been that i would like to race one (sort of), but not really dd one.

Honestly, with stock miata power, FWD or RWD doesnt matter much. Weight distribution still does, though. But most people dont distinguish those things.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/11 1:53 a.m.

I thought the same about them till I bought one for my wife when we got engaged years ago, I promptly wrecked it right after our wedding, literally 2 days after our honeymoon. That one was a total write off. Fast forward a few years, I got my hands on another one for a decent price. 1200$ Came with some mild mods, springs, shocks, rear sway bar, 15's with 205 series azenis on em, semi aggressive alignment. WOW what a difference, I seriously intended for this to be a replacement for my wives car that I wrecked. Nope, I have a hard time handing over the keys, I daily it, I had intended to track/autocross it occasionally but I'm afraid of the results if I do. I've since replaced the azenis with 225 toyo's and while the razor sharp turn in has faded, lateral grip is nuts, the seat is the limiting factor now, even with a foamectomy done, I can't corner anywhere near the limit on the street, even in the rain, I've tried to cross it up, it just jerks around a bit, and slows way down, it truly is an amazing car. (just to clarify that, I live in the middle of nowhere, my closest neighbor is literally almost a mile away via hard top, so I have plenty of empty street to play on, and the neighbors are used to my shenanigans) I have the same gripes as everyone else, noisy on the highway, (no biggie just take the backroads more often, more relaxed drive anyway), AC is so so at best, can be an issue some days in the florida heat, soft top flat sucks at keeping out heat, and cold. yeah you get the gay, girls car comments but I just look at em and smile.

But the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks, I deliver pizza in mine at least once a week, have taken it on 1500 mile road trips, again, buzzy on the interstate, but the ability to squirt through traffic more than makes up for it. Cops tend to ignore them, as most of em have never driven one. Parts are relatively cheap, easy to work on, easy to modify, face it what ever you want to do has probably been done at least once before and documented on the web. Amazing handling, it's stupid really how capable this car is with the few mods that have been done.

You do have to wind it up a bit to really get it to move, but once you get used to driving it, everything else just seems tame. It really does talk to you. I find myself running around without the radio on quite a bit, just listening to the car.

Last thing and then I'll stop raving about a miata. I picked up a 95 Integra, last december, I've put less than 6000 miles on it since it's purchase(I avg 18-20k a year on my vehicles due to the distance to town, and work). I literally walk past it every day to get to the miata to go to work. In fact the teg is going up for sale in the next couple of weeks. I just don't drive it enough to justify keeping it. Probably going to snag another miata for my wife.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 6:58 a.m.

Underdog? What's underdog about the Miata. The Miata has been embarrassing more expensive/well regarded cars since day one.

Case in point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMaCoq2_4

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
9/6/11 7:52 a.m.

I am not 100% sure why. I have driven and autocrossed them in stock, mildish modified and turbo form. The only one that did much for me was the turbo one. The others just felt gutless.

Maybe I just like power on over steer too much.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/6/11 8:21 a.m.
ppddppdd wrote: If it were comfortable and quiet, it'd need another 100 horsepower to be fun. I'm always bemused when comfort enters the Miata discussion. Almost every sports car made today feels like a big GT car compared to a NA/NB Miata. The Miata is what other cars aren't. It's loud, light, harsh and feels about as sharp edged as anything you're allowed to drive on the street. The discomfort is part of the charm and it makes driving a bit more of an adventure.

You know... i know i'm outside of the norm here... but i find my Miata to be quiet, no lighter, and much comfier than my daily driver.

It's also much slower in a straight line, and while i know the outright limits are a little higher on it, i don't think the handling "feels" quite as good while driving at sane limits on the street.

I'm 100% sure my feelings would change if i drove them back to back on the track, but part of the frustration is that if i drive over 5/10ths in the miata, i'll be inspecting the back of a police cruiser from the inside in short order.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/6/11 8:22 a.m.
Vigo wrote: My experience driving miatas has been that i would like to race one (sort of), but not really dd one. Honestly, with stock miata power, FWD or RWD doesnt matter much. Weight distribution still does, though. But most people dont distinguish those things.

FWD SUCKS. THEY WILL NEVER HAVE ANY PERFORMANCE EVER. WRONG WHEEL DRIVE LOL.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/11 6:59 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: I am not 100% sure why. I have driven and autocrossed them in stock, mildish modified and turbo form. The only one that did much for me was the turbo one. The others just felt gutless. Maybe I just like power on over steer too much.

If you can't get power oversteer in a stock Miata, you're not close enough to the edge of the traction circle

And just because I know you guys will like this and for no other reason. This Miata has no trouble with power oversteer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uttljTlKaOY

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
9/6/11 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

I resent that. Ask Tom or anyone else who has seen me autocross. Pretty much crossed up every turn.

I see your video and offer a V8 Miata of my own (recently sold). I forgot to mention that one was fun also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpfHx0Kt44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic81M-TmQV4&feature=related

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
9/6/11 8:06 p.m.

Wait a minute, my Miata doesn't sound like that. Is something wrong?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
9/6/11 8:57 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: Ask Tom or anyone else who has seen me autocross.

I liked your station wagon

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/11 1:38 a.m.

I'm wanting to build a lsx motivated NA after graduation. I hope that will cure my itch for power on oversteer.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/7/11 7:07 a.m.

My take on Miata is different than Speedbiu's, but then I don't live in Florida.

The ones I see are usually middle aged guys commuting or Auto-Xing. I have yet to see a Miata with a fart can or ricer bling on it. I like them, it's an MGB with Japanese reliability, but I'll probably never own one. While I appreciate what they are, what they offer and the niche they fill, it's not for me.

Everybody is somebody's weirdo.

Dan

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/7/11 7:20 a.m.

I would personally rather spend my money on an old MGB or TR or Spitfire but I am weird.

I did seriously think about buying that MB diesel Miata though. I just decided it wasn't the most practical at this point in my life.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
9/7/11 8:56 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: I'm wanting to build a lsx motivated NA after graduation. I hope that will cure my itch for power on oversteer.

Thats why I have an LS1/T56 combo sitting in my garage waiting to go into this...

And if I drive a station wagon like this...

I shouldn't have any problem with power on over steer.

P.S. See you on sunday BTW.

steverife
steverife New Reader
9/7/11 8:58 a.m.
914Driver wrote: My take on Miata is different than Speedbiu's, but then I don't live in Florida. The ones I see are usually middle aged guys commuting or Auto-Xing. I have yet to see a Miata with a fart can or ricer bling on it. I like them, it's an MGB with Japanese reliability, but I'll probably never own one. While I appreciate what they are, what they offer and the niche they fill, it's not for me. Everybody is somebody's weirdo. Dan

It is a mix here. You could get an old lady in an auto, or middle aged sports car guy, but there are a lot of ricer types. I've probably been cut off by Miatas more than any other cars. If you are cruising in traffic about even with the back bumper of a car in the next lane and see a Miata coming up, get on the brakes HARD because they are going to try to make it fit.

Hal
Hal Dork
9/7/11 9:28 a.m.

I have never owned a Miata but I think I could live with one after I modified it some. I frequently drive my friends stock 90 NA and have a lot of fun doing so. Handling is a little better than my Focus but it is very underpowered in comparison.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/7/11 10:02 a.m.

I get why people like to autocross them. I (personally) don't how anyone could DD one. Tough to get in and out of, noisy as crap, tunnel squeezes my nards, knees hit the steering wheel, and my size 13's are constantly trying to push two pedals at once.

Similar power to weight, plenty of leg room, at least twice the dry storage, can EASILY haul 4 tires and a passenger without a trailer or an act of congress, EASILY as tossable and "peppy," AND none among you would have SH*T for Heath McMillan in your CSP prepped miata: 1st gen. CRX.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/11 10:13 a.m.

the more rotted my ti gets.. the more I think about getting an NB miata...

nderwater
nderwater Dork
9/7/11 10:44 a.m.

The people buying Miatas in Florida are not really the same people who buy them elsewhere. If the OP lived in a place with elevation changes and winding roads (and seasons, but that's another topic) then he might have an easier time seeing the light.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
9/7/11 10:56 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: I get why people like to autocross them. I (personally) don't how anyone could DD one. Tough to get in and out of, noisy as crap, tunnel squeezes my nards, knees hit the steering wheel, and my size 13's are constantly trying to push two pedals at once. Similar power to weight, plenty of leg room, at least twice the dry storage, can EASILY haul 4 tires and a passenger without a trailer or an act of congress, EASILY as tossable and "peppy," AND none among you would have SH*T for Heath McMillan in your CSP prepped miata: 1st gen. CRX.

I had a CSP CRX. My Miata on the same rubber is much more fun to drive in every single respect.

I loved that CRX too.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
9/7/11 11:02 a.m.

I have really no intention of using my '91 Miata in anything other than back road blats or cruising to work. The roads here in Wisconsin are generally crappy, but there are some winding roads now and again. Wringing the crap out of a relatively cheap car is a hoot and it puts a smile on my face everytime I do it. I would have to admit, if it was a FWD I would have never bought it.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/7/11 11:25 a.m.

I want a miata with a d16a6 (89 civic si) motor.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
9/7/11 11:54 a.m.

Why would you want LESS power?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ubQcN02DpmNBo04BruhhNA9zH5003v6ELelkUHRBjp1633wIKgHOUXhQxPWgfr6n