1 2
dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
8/21/23 3:38 p.m.

"If you’ve been worrying that the sun might be setting on gas-powered performance cars, I would argue that our friend Jim Farley’s move states rather definitively, “Not so fast.” "

..as long as you're rich. I see no great evidence of automakers going to great lengths to ensure that the everyman with a day job and a mortgage will have access to a new gas powered enthusiast car on a budget. The Miata and the 86/BRZ are basically all that's available for roughly 30k. You can get a new Mustang for that price but only with an automatic. The GTD is yet another rich person's toy, and I have trouble mustering any interest for a vehicle that's unlikely to ever be attainable to the rest of us.

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
8/21/23 4:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Global Cup MX5 was only $53k when introduced. They built about 100 at that price which was way too good a deal. The cost is up to $82k now, and it looks like the sequential box is an option if you're not going to race in the pro series.

And if I had the coin to throw away... I'd still really want one (with the sequential box just because). 

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
8/21/23 9:33 p.m.

It's cool they are trying to go head to head with Porsche for the very well heeled track day crowd, but seems risky to not undercut their price point. 

Probably won't matter, with limited supply of gt3rs, Ford will likely easily sell all they care to make. 

tyronejk
tyronejk New Reader
8/22/23 1:58 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

It's true that I'm making assumptions here but one doesn't need personal experience to know what buyers are doing with cars.  We'll see in a year's time how many sub-1,000k mile examples are listed on BAT for more than MSRP.  When people are paying $500k for $300k of performance, they're either paying $200k for the cool factor (more than likely a small minority) or paying $200k for a speculative investment.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/23 3:22 a.m.

Imagine getting the ultimate version of your favorite car, without the hastile of making sure everything fits and works together. No shop delays, no waiting on parts, just get in and drive.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/22/23 9:14 a.m.
dannyp84 said:

"If you’ve been worrying that the sun might be setting on gas-powered performance cars, I would argue that our friend Jim Farley’s move states rather definitively, “Not so fast.” "

..as long as you're rich. I see no great evidence of automakers going to great lengths to ensure that the everyman with a day job and a mortgage will have access to a new gas powered enthusiast car on a budget. The Miata and the 86/BRZ are basically all that's available for roughly 30k. You can get a new Mustang for that price but only with an automatic. The GTD is yet another rich person's toy, and I have trouble mustering any interest for a vehicle that's unlikely to ever be attainable to the rest of us.

After tracking sport bikes, and owning a few cars that were bonkers fast ('13 Mustang GT Track Pack, '13 135i w/DCT), a 2nd gen BRZ or ND Miata is more than enough to have fun on the street (and track) and not spend $50k+.

I thought about a new Mustang or Camaro last spring when I ordered my BRZ, but realized, why? You're going to have a car you can never wring out on the street. 

350z247
350z247 Reader
8/22/23 10:19 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

For that much money, just buy a used 09-16 Cayman S. It would be better on all accounts aside from consumables which I'd say is worth it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/22/23 12:35 p.m.

If they get classified into Super Street for autocross and have a performance edge, some of them will be bought for that. 

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
8/22/23 12:44 p.m.
dannyp84 said:

I see no great evidence of automakers going to great lengths to ensure that the everyman with a day job and a mortgage will have access to a new gas powered enthusiast car on a budget. The Miata and the 86/BRZ are basically all that's available for roughly 30k. You can get a new Mustang for that price but only with an automatic. The GTD is yet another rich person's toy, and I have trouble mustering any interest for a vehicle that's unlikely to ever be attainable to the rest of us.

I think this is an excellent point... and $30K is more like $35K+ at this point. 

In addition, the mfgs. seem to be using the scarcity model as if you want an CTR FL5 or Manual 86/BRZ (and many others) you're going to have a hell of a time finding one unless you're willing to pay the dealership's "market value adjustment" and waiting months. 

There's probably a long-term side effect of this and that will be that the new generation of enthusiasts / drivers might be much smaller. If you don't make enthusiast as kids, many of them will simply find other things to care about instead and the mfgs. might find their customer base shrinking as older enthusiasts aren't being replaced in the market with new ones. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/22/23 12:45 p.m.
350z247 said:

In reply to z31maniac :

For that much money, just buy a used 09-16 Cayman S. It would be better on all accounts aside from consumables which I'd say is worth it.

I looked at 12-16 Cayman S, I couldn't find a nice, low mileage anywhere CLOSE to $32k. They were all $50k and up. Sure maybe you can find one not in greatest shape, or with a lot of miles. But buying a high mileage 6-10 year old Porsche isn't why for me. Plus Porsche parts prices, etc. I make OK money, but I know I can't truly AFFORD a Porsche vs being to BUY one. Which is a big difference. 

At $50-55k, I'm buying a Mustang GT with $10k left for mods and a warranty.

EDIT: Or were you saying for $50k plus buy a used Porsche? A BRZ is $32k, so I thought you were saying for that much money. Because that's what I actually bought.

fearlesfil
fearlesfil New Reader
8/22/23 7:25 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens : That would be the Mustang GT3, which the GTD winks and nods to. I don't know but would guess the GT3 race ready will be north of $500k, making the street legal GTD somewhat of a "bargain" street/track day rough equivalent.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/22/23 7:43 p.m.

It will be interesting to see who actually buys these.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/22/23 8:29 p.m.

I feel like this kind of thing reminds me of another time in history when similar things were happening...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duesenberg_Model_J

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/22/23 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Same people who get the P GT3. 

And collectors. Ford tried to prevent them back in the 90's from hiding race cars, but they bring so much money to the table, it's hard to not let them collect cars. 

350z247
350z247 Reader
8/23/23 5:14 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I was saying for $50K compared to the Mustang. For $32K, you're going to likely have a pre-2009 Cayman with some known issues. You could maybe find an 09-11 for mid to low $30s, but it would almost definitely be a non-S. With FCP Euro's crazy warranty program, the price difference on consumable goes away, but that first purchase will still hurt.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/23/23 7:09 p.m.

For the several mentions of Cayman prices: 

Here's an '07 for $17k right here on GRM

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/24/23 2:36 p.m.

For the "car won't make it to a track crowd"... why not? I see GT3RSs and GT2RS every time I go to the track. Last time at Road Atlanta, there was a Ferrari SF90 Stradale passing my little Miata on the back stretch, along with several McLarens. This car is half as much money and no more rare than those.

I will never own one, but it's cool and these things have a tr4ndency to trickle down through the ranks to us plebes.

stormy1
stormy1 New Reader
8/27/23 1:38 a.m.

Ford selling one ICE vehicle is a sad day and i don't expect it to bode well. Even the CEO had a wake up call... $300k for the only one they do make will surely give the used car market a huge bump.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YmxPyS6KWcWIxx2O9WEaxhiNdHZWS6JtTggXXliM09fJuJ7xAIbKXVnhQ5osKW4p