1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/2/12 3:47 p.m.

Count me in as a fan of the XJ. No need for an engine swap, the 4.0 liter straight six is as unkillable as a motor can be. The 258cid in my AMC Eagle has over 300K on it and runs like a freight train. (4.2 is very similar to 4.0) More power is easily had too with stroker kits and Clifford Performance is only a mouseclick away.

They are hard not to love if you need a utility vehicle but don't want a big truck. Hell, I recently bought a running / driving Cherokee Limited for FREE! Sure it needed a bit of brake work, but try to beat the price!

I luv em and will have another someday.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
3/2/12 4:02 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: The XJ is the answer in the SUV world the same way the Miata is the answer in the sports car world. They are cheap, plentiful, simple and easy to work on, huge after market support, basically bullet proof and have character. I felt the same thing as some of you until a purchased one after looking at everything else. Nothing combines it all at a good price like a Cherokee...........just like a Miata. If you need to tow a lot (which I don,t) then i agree something else would be a better choice.
I would REALLY like to know how many people on this forum have BOTH an XJ and a Miata. I know there's at least 5 of us.

Make that 6. Not only do I have an XJ and a Miata. My two wheeled vehicles include a KLR 650 and a 1975 Naked Era Gold Wing.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/2/12 4:11 p.m.

just avoid the pre-HO engines with the Renix engine management. Nothing but headaches there trying to get it tuned.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/2/12 4:12 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: The XJ is the answer in the SUV world the same way the Miata is the answer in the sports car world. They are cheap, plentiful, simple and easy to work on, huge after market support, basically bullet proof and have character. I felt the same thing as some of you until a purchased one after looking at everything else. Nothing combines it all at a good price like a Cherokee...........just like a Miata. If you need to tow a lot (which I don,t) then i agree something else would be a better choice.
I would REALLY like to know how many people on this forum have BOTH an XJ and a Miata. I know there's at least 5 of us.
Make that 6. Not only do I have an XJ and a Miata. My two wheeled vehicles include a KLR 650 and a 1975 Naked Era Gold Wing.

I think i was counting you... i'll make a thread, because i'm genuinely curious.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
3/2/12 4:14 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Just empty every pocket. Fits ALL the models.....
Errrrrr.... say what, chap?

Not really. For what they want for a used Land Rover over here you can get a modified Wrangler rock crawler, a pimped out full sized Grand Cherokee to tow it with and have enough left over for a beater XJ.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs New Reader
3/2/12 8:00 p.m.

Wow, an eye opening thread for a new guy here.

First, the dismissal of 4x4 makes me think you guys are not near as redneck as I am. I can't imagine buying any suv or truck without 4x4.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
3/2/12 8:13 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:

Count me in that group.. The Miata is the summer vehicle and the Cherokee is the winter one. The other funny thing is one is lowered and the other is lifted. I will let you all figure out which is which.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/2/12 8:16 p.m.

I'm not redneck at all, but I wouldn't buy a non-4x4 SUV or Truck. Not because I frequently need 4WD, but on occasion I do. Hell, I"ve had to use it towing a small trailer up a muddy hill out of my backyard, and I'm in suburbia. And still almost didn't get it out. A 2WD truck definitely would have failed.

Also because I like cruising on the beach when we're at Hatteras, and 4WD is required. IDK what the big deal is anyhow - as long as it's part-time 4WD, there's no real fuel penalty, just a transfer case to maintain.

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
3/2/12 9:23 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:

Make that 7. I have actually owned the xj/miata combo twice over the last few years. Each time the combo was different cars. Kind of a reoccuring loop for me. Just two vehicles that I love. The jeep is rediculously practical, reliable, as easy to maintain and work on as the miata. The Astro van AWD argument is a fair one, I just sold my 02' AWD astro last weekend. It was a mother berkelyer to work on compared to the xj. While is was lots roomier inside, it couldn't tow any more, nor could it climb the large steep hill to get onto my back yard, sometimes just for the hell of it! I have 4-wheeled both my xj's numerous times and they will go WAY more places than you would think possible. Mine were both stock on all season tires, no m/t's, lifts or anything crazy. Its funny how small they are from an exterior perspective, smaller than the swombo's suby outback, but equal or better inside. Much like the miata, once you have one, you just can't imagine not having one. I currently have a full size one ton chevy van for serious towing and hauling but will buy another xj as soon as I find a good one.

Paul

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
3/2/12 9:37 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I have an XJ. It handles really well for an SUV. I am 6'2", ~300 lbs, and I'm completely comfortable driving it. It has good road manners along with being capable of trudging through the wilderness if need be (with good A/Ts) It totally suits my needs: 4WD for the Winter and occasional mud, enough power to get through most situations, easy to work on, enough space in back to pack my camping gear, and takes a beating and asks for more. For as many 80s and 90s E36 M3 Chrysler products that were out there, the XJ Cherokee was the one thing they did right. I would get another one, but it would be one of the last couple year models.
Heh, Chrysler didn't do the XJ, which is why it's right.

You are correct. AMC did, but Chrysler was the one who kept it going. They're the ones that made it better year after year.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/2/12 9:57 p.m.

I know this is way back on like page one but regarding Astro vs cherokee.. Reliable?

Sorry, but as soon as your sun shell breaks or your 3/4 clutch pack burns out, you just bought yourself a whole XJ worth of 4l60 rebuild unless you are brave enough to do it yourself. Ive PERSONALLY owned an xj with 358k on the original transmission (and engine)....

An astro is a PITA to work on compared to a Cherokee. It may not be super hard, but in RELATIVE terms it is.

Also, i too am LOLing at the people who think a 2.7L Grand Vitara or a crew cab 4.8 gmc are quicker off the line than a 4.0HO cherokee. That is beyond false. I have driven all of them. A 4.8 truck would outrun a 4.0 cherokee over a long enough time period, but frankly i havent driven a 4.8 truck that felt 'good' until almost 4k rpm.

XJs are torquey, cheap, reliable, simple, nimble, durable, useful, fairly ageless/iconic looking, mod-able out the wazoo, and the 97-up ones are even pretty decent to be inside. I wont say that for the earlier ones..

I love XJs. Ive owned 4. Luckily one of my best friends currently has one as a project, otherwise id feel the need to own another one RIGHT NOW. I get my fix with his. He loves the hell out of it too. And he likes to point out that it's the only car so far that has 'survived him'.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/2/12 10:12 p.m.

dammit, reading this thread was a mistake. Now I'm missing my XJ again

must....resist.....urge.....to......buy......another....

also, a couple up the discussion was how small they actually are in ouside dimensions....so true. I used to park my 3" lifted on 32's XJ right next to my co-worker's JK Unlimited 4-door. The XJ looked like a Geo Metro in comparison, it looked tiny.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
3/2/12 10:35 p.m.

No one has mention yet that a 4x4 XJ only weighs 3200lbs.

I have had several over the years and they are great. They are really good off road, fast for what they are (I smoked countless ricer civic drivers in my 1994 before I sold it).

As mentioned before they are the perfect compromise of an SUV, reliable, just the right size, easy to work on, cheap and easy to sell when you are done with them. I will be purchasing another one after I sell my Early Bronco (no need for two 4x4's at th moment)

stan_d
stan_d Dork
3/2/12 10:39 p.m.

My first xj was a 93 that my dad bought new I drove it from 220k to 329k the trans was untouched the original block spun a main at 210k. Swapped in a 88 short block with 93 head and electronics. In the end I sold it for 700 and they drove it away. My current one is a 99 that just ticked over 200k. Still runs like a champ. I have an engine waiting on the stand (because of this it will last a lot longer).

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/12 11:45 p.m.

My 100% stock Forester will outrun a 100% stock Cherokee off of the line, down the middle and to the end of the 1/4 mile.

In any case, this conversation is germane to my interests because I am going to need another tow vehicle that will hold 4 people, all of our stuff and drive on a soft sand beach pretty soon. I've been leaning towards XJ myself, but 4 runner is also an option.

As for the Astro cost vs. XJ cost? Pretty close in this neck of the woods.

Astro:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2839254423.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2851093389.html

Jeep:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2881237998.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2879204901.html

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/2/12 11:59 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: In any case, this conversation is germane to my interests because I am going to need another tow vehicle that will hold 4 people, all of our stuff and drive on a soft sand beach pretty soon. I've been leaning towards XJ myself, but 4 runner is also an option.

Also me = previous XJ owner, current 4Runner owner. Tough comparison, unless you're comparing the same years. If we're talking mid-90s here, the 4Runner is far more refined than the XJ is, with better road manners (IFS vs. solid axle front helps), better interior, better ride, better features/equipment, etc. The XJ is superior offroad (not by much though) and I'd call the engines a push (if you're comparing 6-cyl models only).

As a utility vehicle or off-roader, I'd choose the XJ. As a "family vehicle" I'd take a 4Runner every time, hands-down. Also probably better for tow as I think the wheelbase is longer than an XJ. That said, a 4Runner with comparable year/miles/condition to an XJ will cost thousands more.

I'd say go drive them. They have similar overall size/capabilities, but they are VERY different vehicles in terms of road manners.....

I honestly love the 4Runner far more than I loved the XJ (which was great as well), but the long road trips the 4Runner is 100000% better than an XJ. And it's nice on the beach

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
3/3/12 8:01 a.m.

Come on, everyone knows XJ's are indestructible - just ask Sheriff Carter.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
3/3/12 8:02 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: The real reason I want an Astro is just so I can cut up a lot of badges so it can say "Van or AstroVan?" on the back. If you don't get that right away don't bother. If you do get it you will love it.

Just until someone writes " Destroy all Astrovan" in the dust on the back.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
3/3/12 8:51 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Why has jeep become the answer? Buy cheap, Add boost, add lightness, add lower-ness, win /thread

I didn't anticipate this many replies!! I would like more info on the xj pictured above. General performance upgrades as well. Does anyone rally cross their xj? How strong are the manual transmissions?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/3/12 10:40 a.m.
My 100% stock Forester will outrun a 100% stock Cherokee off of the line, down the middle and to the end of the 1/4 mile.

Where the hell are people getting this stuff? Is yours an XT? Because otherwise you are smoking crack.

Again, driven both. Conveniently, also had friends with both.. who raced both.. and the cherokee was 8 tenths faster, stock for stock.. unless you count the magnaflow catback and the gearing advantage from the 23" tires swapped onto the forester (vs 29" tire and 3.07 gear on cherokee).. Still almost a full second slower, and iirc down about 4 mph.

Im starting to wonder if all these people talking about cherokee acceleration didnt ALL drive 4wd/autos with 31s and stock gearing. That might make them as slow as some of these other vehicles that arent even in the same capability ballpark like a stock forester or a grand vitara.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory New Reader
3/3/12 11:51 a.m.
Javelin wrote: XJ's (although they can be built to be) really aren't "off-roaders". I think you guys are getting confused with the Wrangler/CJ/original Jeep.

I think this first line is extremely misleading. I've taken bone stock XJ's on mountain bike trail areas where the bikers will stop and watch and give me thumbs up and laugh as I get to the top (or bottom) of a loose, rocky obstace or trail.

I've heard them say "no way", "never" and Oh my God". Then shake thier heads when I finess my way up without trashing the body or drivetrain. To say that they're not really off-roaders is going against the grain of every for wheel drive mag article on them I've ever read. And it certainly goes against my experiences (I've owned and wheeled three of them).

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/3/12 12:18 p.m.

I really dont get how anyone can say an XJ isnt an 'off roader' when it has a pretty much identical suspension and componentry to the Wranglers of the time, along with having nearly the same size and weight. It has the rear suspension of a YJ wrangler and the front suspension of a TJ wrangler. A lot of people would say overall that's a better suspension than a YJ wrangler and nobody says those aren't offroaders.

Hell, if you look at the cherokee, grand cherokee, and wrangler (yj AND tj) they all share either a front or rear suspension design with one of the others.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
3/3/12 2:23 p.m.

Both Cherokees and Wranglers are pretty much the same. If you look at all the different areas individually they are not so great. Many other trucks/SUVs are more practical, more fuel efficient, better build quality, have more room and can tow more. But somehow taken as a whole it all transforms into a unique and capable vehicle. The Wrangler has a huge following and nobody can say a YJ is modern in any sense. I guess they are also comparable to Harley Davidsons. Other bikes may be more sophisticated but lack the same character.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/12 2:24 p.m.

That comment was in reference to the "look" and "idea" of the XJ. I was trying to show that the XJ was not the same as the Wrangler, et al. I should have clarified that more, sorry.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
3/3/12 2:45 p.m.

It's funny this post pops up when I posted this a couple weeks ago.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/smaller-suvs-better-in-the-snow/44911/page1/

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tFxC0qjMy86LOpJWGv7X9Ud4Zg7h8Ozsadk7VM9obWXEfYG3HyfTNUlcjXLwMLka