EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/12 10:46 p.m.

I found an 04 wrx locally with a thrown rod. Say I wanted to get it on the road as cheaply as possible. How could I do that? 2.5 na swap? Junkyard shortblock?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/29/12 10:48 p.m.

Cheap in hours or $?

EvanB
10/29/12 10:53 p.m.

Money mostly, I have never rebuilt an engine so I would prefer something I could drop in as an assembly or a short block to bolt heads on and do gaskets belts etc.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
10/29/12 11:02 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Money mostly, I have never rebuilt an engine so I would prefer something I could drop in as an assembly or a short block to bolt heads on and do gaskets belts etc.

Subaru short blocks are super cheap brand new from Subaru themselves. Normally, I'd say go to the junkyard, but Subaru motors just aren't that... durable IMO to warrant that, especially with higher mileage. Even the 2.5 N/A motor, while it can last, typically doesn't go for very long (say, over 250,000kms).

So yea... you could also try on Ebay for a cheap reman.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/12 6:28 a.m.

When I was looking for an engine for the 2005 Legacy GT, I was shocked at how much the junkyards wanted for them. The car eventually got scrapped.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
10/30/12 7:07 a.m.

Call ZB and ask him.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 New Reader
10/30/12 7:23 a.m.

Used Subaru engines are a crapshoot. It's like trying to find a decent woman on Craigslist. There may be ONE but you arnt going to be the guy who finds it.

I'd go with a reman or a rebuilt shortblock on the forums. Call up some Subaru specialty shops and see what they might have. Plenty of people are dumping perfectly good wrx motors for STI swaps now a days.

Also, I don't agree with HiTempguy, my wrx has 180,000 miles on it and sees regular track duty (10 days a year minimum) with no issues. Even sent the oil off to black stone and it came back perfect. They will run a long time if taken care of. The WRX must be kept to its 3,500 mile oil change interval due to shearing of the oil and sludge buildup in the oil feed filter to the turbo. Most people either use too thin of oil and spin a bearing or go too long between changes and spin a bearing.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/30/12 9:06 a.m.

To go with a N/A setup, you'd need an ecu and different wiring.

It's an 04, so that is the 2.0, easy to find a cheap core for a rebuild. If everything else is fine a replacement short block is $1500, plus $500 install.

The problem with the 2.0 tend to be oil starvation related. The oil pickup can crack, and with lower oil levels, and competitive cornering, you will lose oil supply....then bad things happen. Keep oil levels high. If you have the oil pan off make sure to examine the oil pickup, or install a killer b oil pickup.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
10/30/12 9:29 a.m.

subaru problems.... bleh

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
10/30/12 10:28 a.m.
AtticusTurbo27 wrote: They will run a long time if taken care of.

Ya, but people don't. They live a long time when maintained well. Out of any car, WRX's typically have blown/burning oil motors WELL before they should, even in stock cases. The factory tunes are noted as being crap, which leads to detonation occasionally. The motor just isn't that strong, it's well known.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 New Reader
10/30/12 10:39 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Ya, but people don't. They live a long time when maintained well. Out of any car, WRX's typically have blown/burning oil motors WELL before they should, even in stock cases. The factory tunes are noted as being crap, which leads to detonation occasionally. The motor just isn't that strong, it's well known.

Well I come from rotaries so they are like sbc's compared to 13B's. lol

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/30/12 10:58 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Did the rod go on an adventure outside of the engine case or did the bearings go? I normally see a lot more spun and blown rod bearings than actual aerated cases.

In any case it is my opinion a new shortblock would be the best value for your money if you arent wanting to mess with having machine work done. They normally go for around $1900, but you should be able to knock a few bucks off of that with one of the %5 to %10 coupons that always seem to be floating around. An oem gasket kit is just under $300 and a timing belt kit with pump and everything is about $300. So doing your own assembly work you are looking at about $2500.

You could get a cheaper jdm engine, but at the point where the engine is cheaper than a short block you are looking at much older engines from the mid nineties that do not tend to be a good value.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/30/12 11:05 a.m.

I think you can also upgrade to a 2.5 block, and go with a hybrid setup, but it will require an open source tune. Which is another couple of hundred bucks.

EvanB
10/30/12 12:22 p.m.

Looks like with these engine options it isn't really worth it. I found a 2.5RS in what looks to be good shape for only $1300 more than the WRX so I might as well just get that and skip the hassle.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
10/30/12 1:15 p.m.
AtticusTurbo27 wrote:
HiTempguy wrote:
Well I come from rotaries so they are like sbc's compared to 13B's. lol

I beg to differ.

EvanB
10/30/12 1:22 p.m.

Oh that reminds me, I want a rotary too. 20b WRX wagon?

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
10/30/12 1:48 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Oh that reminds me, I want a rotary too. 20b WRX wagon?

Its easier to make an AWD car rotary rather than make a rotary car AWD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VCIy7NM1sdMoO0FsA1eDQN34qJHb8pjH8RUsQcPCG0qCG9h25sdcjb155dFbHBmP