psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/12 5:48 p.m.

I have a friend who wants to replace his motorcycle with some manner of vintage convertible (or targa) sports car. He currently rides a Ninja 250 to work (and has a truck for bad weather). His wife HATES the bike. He wants to trade it for something fun to drive, not necessarily fast, and "cool-looking". He is a computer engineer, mechanically inclined but not a mechanic (although he's aware he's going to have to learn). And before you suggest it, he shot down the idea of a Miata immediately. (Yes, he's driven one.) He is 5'10", 180 pounds, and his wife is petite, so they'll fit in about anything. The car will probably not be used for motorsports or extensive travel, just nice-weather commuting and day trips.

Budget is ~$3k.

So, brain trust, what would you recommend? My initial thoughts were MGB, Fiat 124 spider, or 914. I know nothing about the relative reliability of any of these, other than that they will require regular attention and maintenance.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/12 5:53 p.m.

914s at that price point might be a little crumbly - those things can rust rather well so I'd be careful buying one of those.

Why did he nix the Miata idea, just out of curiosity?

Other ideas:

• Triumph Spitfire
  • Spridget
  • Fiat 850 Spider, although they're probably over budget
  • X1/9
rotard
rotard Dork
9/17/12 5:57 p.m.

Good lucking finding a convertible that's worth a E36 M3 (to the average person) for $3k without including the Miata.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/12 6:01 p.m.
rotard wrote: Good lucking finding a convertible that's worth a E36 M3 (to the average person) for $3k without including the Miata.

Quoted for da troof. I keep forgetting that there are people who don't automatically take a car apart shortly after buying it.

Although out here you can occasionally find E30 verts for that sort of money, but they might require "a little work".

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/17/12 6:01 p.m.

Yugo Cabrio

1966stang
1966stang Reader
9/17/12 6:11 p.m.

Try to find a J body (Cavalier or sunfire) convertible...they can be had cheaply, p[arts are cheap, and they (unfortunately) run forever...

Not a two seater, but the best bang for the buck with the budget...

rotard
rotard Dork
9/17/12 6:14 p.m.
1966stang wrote: Try to find a J body (Cavalier or sunfire) convertible...they can be had cheaply, p[arts are cheap, and they (unfortunately) run forever... Not a two seater, but the best bang for the buck with the budget...

The coupes and sedans let enough water in to cover everything in mold. I'd honestly be afraid of what the inside of a jbody convertible smelled like.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/12 6:27 p.m.

First Gen RX-7 (79-85, SA/FB) is the answer here, with manual sunroof of course. The roof is large and is nearly a targa top. It's easy to pop out and enjoy. They are in the rock bottom of depreciation and can be as old fashioned (79, 4-bbl carb, 12A, steel bumpers) or modern (85 GSL-SE, EFI, 13B, plastic bumpers) as you want. It's small, makes bike-like noises, and is easy to work on.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/17/12 6:38 p.m.
rotard wrote:
1966stang wrote: Try to find a J body (Cavalier or sunfire) convertible...they can be had cheaply, p[arts are cheap, and they (unfortunately) run forever... Not a two seater, but the best bang for the buck with the budget...
The coupes and sedans let enough water in to cover everything in mold. I'd honestly be afraid of what the inside of a jbody convertible smelled like.

Don't know where you got that idea from. Mine is getting pretty rotted out and water tight enough that the carpets stayed dry when I accidentally forded about 10" of water on Belle Isle a while ago. Sunroof model too, no leaks there either.

psteav
9/17/12 6:48 p.m.

Man, I apparently didn't make this clear enough. He was thinking LBC. I got him to expand to Little Italian or German cars as well. Convertible or targa is a non-negotiable. He claims Miatae are chick cars, despite the fact that I took him out in mine on a good road one day and showed him what it's capable of.

-Cavalier? No offense to Cavaliers, but nowhere near what he's after.

-E30? Maybe....but probably too new.

-SA RX7- Not a ragtop, no dice.

-Yugo? Not hardly.

(Note that I would totally own any of those cars, but he wants something "classic" in the regular gearhead sense.)

psteav
9/17/12 6:51 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: 914s at that price point might be a little crumbly - those things can rust rather well so I'd be careful buying one of those. Why did he nix the Miata idea, just out of curiosity? Other ideas: - Triumph Spitfire - Spridget - Fiat 850 Spider, although they're probably over budget - X1/9

I actually floated all four of these as well....Spridget doesn't really have a modern top and they are TINY. I think he could probably swing a B about as easily.

Spitfire is a real possibility, but around here it seems that they have the tinworm even worse than most other old stuff.

850 Spider is probably over budget, and a little less usable than he wants, me thinks.

-X1/9 I also floated as a possibility, I just don't know much about them. I know I'm going to be the mechanical consultant when whatever he buys breaks and I've heard that some jobs (master cylinders) on these are an absolute nickel-plated bastard to do.

rotard
rotard Dork
9/17/12 7:01 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
rotard wrote:
Don't know where you got that idea from. Mine is getting pretty rotted out and water tight enough that the carpets stayed dry when I accidentally forded about 10" of water on Belle Isle a while ago. Sunroof model too, no leaks there either.

I owned a 1991 Cavalier RS. My experience was obviously different from yours. J-bodies are a prime example of why people think American cars are junk.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
9/17/12 7:05 p.m.

80's 300zx with the t-tops?

rotard
rotard Dork
9/17/12 7:12 p.m.

There is a 1988 BMW convertible with an automatic for $1800 locally. I got back in my car as soon as I saw it was an auto, so I'm not even sure what engine it has. It looked to be in ok shape.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/12 8:02 p.m.

nobody mentioned MR2?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H33fa3zcdSwVrxEpvfqdpeSY3qvvUgFVv1OfF3rU21vEJ1cY8c7A57fkElFlmCBj