1 2
Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
9/15/12 5:12 p.m.

Alright, I've made a million "what car?" threads in my days, and here's yet another one. This is a little bit different than my last. Last time I asked for mini SUVs only. Let's start again.

I'm sick of having a car that doesn't fit my needs. With the start of my business, and it being of the woodworking nature, and needing to move the contents of my college life around, the e30 just isn't cutting it.

The e30 is stylish, comfortable, and cheap to run, but it doesn't do anything I need it to do other than move me and a few items at a time. My next car purchase will be designed to last me for the next 5 years.

I need a vehicle that meets these criteria

• cheap to buy ($2012 friendly)
  • comfortable for a 6'3" 200 lb bloke
  • isn't notorious for rusting to nothing
  • good in snow (with dedicated wheels/tires)
  • easy to work on with basic tools (i dont have a garage anymore)
  • can haul stuff (no sedans/coupes)
  • cheap to own (cheap parts can make up for OK gas mileage)
  • easy to get parts for on a Sunday (things always break on Saturday)
  • reliable enough that you'd be comfortable driving cross country
  • poised on the highway

Hopefully this will lead to my first responsible car purchase.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
9/15/12 5:36 p.m.

I was in exactly the same situation (even have the E30) and bought an Isuzu Trooper II for $2350. GM V6 means parts are cheap and plentiful, it's easy to work on, and it hauls a lot of crap.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/15/12 5:57 p.m.

XJ

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
9/15/12 6:08 p.m.

XJR .
Or go for the inline 6, 5 speed tranny f150. The years escape me right now but they are rumored to be "the answer".

wae
wae New Reader
9/15/12 6:25 p.m.
Timeormoney wrote: XJR . Or go for the inline 6, 5 speed tranny f150. The years escape me right now but they are rumored to be "the answer".

And when you're done with it, you can make it into an asphalt crusher, apparently...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/12 7:25 p.m.

Astro van will haul more than an SUV, cost less, and get the same gas mileage.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
9/15/12 7:31 p.m.
Timeormoney wrote: XJR . Or go for the inline 6, 5 speed tranny f150. The years escape me right now but they are rumored to be "the answer".

Hard to go wrong with the Ford esp the '87-'96 F Series (or '97 if you go F350). I have captains chairs in mine, very comfortable (I'm 6'-3" 250 lbs).

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
9/15/12 7:44 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
Hard to go wrong with the Ford esp the '87-'96 F Series (or '97 if you go F350). I have captains chairs in mine, very comfortable (I'm 6'-3" 250 lbs).

if I get an 87-88 I can register it as an antique and forgo inspections

NGTD
NGTD Dork
9/15/12 8:16 p.m.

Late 90's Exploder with a 5.0.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
9/15/12 8:30 p.m.

Some sort of truck. If you don't have snow on the ground continously for more than a month a year, then 2wd suits you well.

I am extremely biased towards 93-95 Chebby/GMC pickups. They are just SO much better than the Dodge/Ford offerings of the same era.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
9/15/12 9:06 p.m.

Maybe a Subaru, Volvo, BMW or Saab wagon. Not trucks of course but I think they meet all (or most) of your criteria. They won't haul as much as a truck but they should be far more interesting to drive and get better gas mileage. I think they all are available with AWD too.

Might not fit the............cheap parts category.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/15/12 9:17 p.m.

F150 the newest year and lowest mileage you can afford

Although Saabs are enormous inside

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
9/15/12 9:27 p.m.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3200369097.html

Any way to tell if it's a 4x4 or not? I have friends in NC that will ship a truck so I can avoid the rust.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
9/15/12 9:28 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Some sort of truck. If you don't have snow on the ground continously for more than a month a year, then 2wd suits you well.

central Maine

wae
wae New Reader
9/15/12 11:02 p.m.
Taiden wrote: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3200369097.html Any way to tell if it's a 4x4 or not? I have friends in NC that will ship a truck so I can avoid the rust.

The front wheel looks vaguely like it's equipped with manual locking hubs, but I don't really know from trucks. I'm guessing that when he says the manual transmission slips, he means the clutch?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/12 1:11 a.m.

Yeah, front wheel looks like it has a manual hub. If it's a 4x4 they usually have a badge under the passenger headlight saying so.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/16/12 7:16 a.m.

The '88-98 GM trucks are great, just be sure to get a rust-free sample. The smaller Blazers also depreciate like rocks, and parts are cheap. Same goes for the Tahoes/Suburbans...

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
9/16/12 9:13 a.m.
wae wrote:
Taiden wrote: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3200369097.html Any way to tell if it's a 4x4 or not? I have friends in NC that will ship a truck so I can avoid the rust.
The front wheel looks vaguely like it's equipped with manual locking hubs, but I don't really know from trucks. I'm guessing that when he says the manual transmission slips, he means the clutch?

Pretty sure that's a manual hub as well, clutch slip could be as simple as adjusting clutch pedal linkage or cable if it has one. If it doesn't have the electronically controlled tcase it could be a good option.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/16/12 9:56 a.m.

With the chevys id prefer the earlier TBI with the later interior.. the early interior is junky and the later fuel injection system is, as they say, a flippin retarded design.

Id rather have a 93 dodge than a 94 or 95. Those dashboards fall apart even worse than the Chevys.

I just DONT LIKE the pre-97 fords for some reason. Honestly ive found the 97-03 ford trucks hold up the best out of the big 3, but i hate their v8s so id be looking for a 4.2.

So really there is no full size domestic from that time period that is all around great in my book.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
9/16/12 12:53 p.m.

the answer is awd Astro

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
9/16/12 2:47 p.m.

f150 supposedly has a gtw rating of 10,000 lbs. Good lord. Would one be insane to tow that with that truck?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/16/12 3:02 p.m.

My opinion is yes.

jstand
jstand Reader
9/17/12 12:42 a.m.

If I recall correctly ford used to use center caps on the 2wd trucks that looked like manual hubs from a distance.

I'm not sure if Ford is the same; but if it was a GM the number of lugnuts would be the way to ID it as 2wd(5 lugs) or 4wd (6 lugs).

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/17/12 7:00 a.m.

In reply to jstand:

Yes, its hard to tell from that pic if its 4WD or not. Ford half-ton 4*4's from that era have 5 lug wheels.

What exactly do you need to carry? Personally, after owning a van for many years and then going back to a truck, I am finding it rather limited in what it can easily carry. It's great for hauling lots of dirty crap (firewood, mulch, yard debris, etc.), but not so great when whatever I want to carry needs to be safe and dry. The fact the bed is over 3' off the ground can be a pita as well. I can't wait until its gone.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/17/12 7:29 a.m.

Ford F-series. I am about to pick up a '95 F-150 with 5.8 and tow package for $1000.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZzbQVOEIRhK3UrXCVpUKSgwbwSYUGyKpRPv1TkkWsGRc6O317V7mVPEnO5nX3Z1p