Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/22/23 11:14 a.m.
feature_image

When’s the last time you saw an unmodified, halfway-decent fifth-gen Prelude?

This JDM Prelude SiR (currently living in Washington state) is virtually unmodified, fitted with the factory seats, steering wheel, exhaust, wheels, head unit and–as a bonus–the optional leather interior package.

The seller also notes that in addition to a compression test, the car has been given new spark plugs plus …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/22/23 11:50 a.m.

Way, way back in the day, I wrote a project car proposal to Honda to borrow one of these (well, not a JDM model) and prep it for a new SCCA autocross class called Street Touring.

This was before we all realized that the ’89 Civic Si would be the hot car. There were still thoughts that horsepower would matter. 

My proposal, um, didn’t get approved. 

myusdmcavalier
myusdmcavalier New Reader
9/22/23 12:24 p.m.

I feel the prelude will always be the underrated choice, you say Honda coupe and most people will bring up the Integra or crx. Maybe someday they will become more loved, but right now, you cant find a fast (ish) honda coupe for this cheap.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
9/22/23 12:34 p.m.

The H22 sings a sweet song. 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
9/22/23 1:37 p.m.

that's a nice find

outasite
outasite HalfDork
9/22/23 2:33 p.m.

I sold my black 1998 Prelude and bought a 2003 WRX wagon. Regrets, I've had a few.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/22/23 3:20 p.m.

I should have kept the 1992 Prelude I bought for my daughter, even having an automatic transmission that thing was a lot of fun.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/22/23 3:53 p.m.

It's slow, but it's fun.  It'd probably be halfway decent if I just took the time to freshen it up and prep it.  But it still kicks with just shy of 300k on the odometer.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
9/22/23 4:57 p.m.

Wow, I'm really sorry that I know about that site now. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
9/22/23 4:59 p.m.

We just impulse bought a 99? Type SH, VTTS gone, JDM LSD trans in its place and it's absolutely sublime. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/23 5:28 p.m.

It's weird that in 2023 Preludes are the undervalued golden age honda.

Everybody in my group thought they were the E36 M3 back in 1999...?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/22/23 5:56 p.m.

The BB5 is the best looking Honda. Just a really nice driving car. It always blows my mind that these didn't sell better.

David S. Wallens
9/22/23 6:30 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

It's weird that in 2023 Preludes are the undervalued golden age honda.

Everybody in my group thought they were the E36 M3 back in 1999...?

Sames.

Seems like Preludes and del Sols are your current value buys. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/23 7:23 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I was just looking at a really nice JDM Del Sol SIR last week. No need to buy it with everything else in my garage but I wouldn't kick it out of my garage either. It was 15K with under 70K miles. 

Warlock
Warlock New Reader
9/22/23 8:08 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

There was a guy from Greenbelt MD -- -- can't remember his name at the moment, but he was an engineer at NASA Goddard -- prepped a '93 VTEC for STS and did quite well with it for a few years, until the Civics took over.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/22/23 8:15 p.m.

Ive always been surprised that these were not more popular. This and the prior gen were dead sexxy. So JDM. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/22/23 9:39 p.m.

Yep. It's so weird how the tables have turned. I remember Preludes and Del Sols being the coolest Hondas back then. I also remember being so sad that they gave the 'lude the axe. I loved this gen, and really all of the gens. I never got to drive the last gen, I'm sad to say. 

Never would have thought then that a Civic could smoke one in autocross. The Prelude was the sports car!

It seems like that diff gave them a lot of problems. Otherwise, I'd love one.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/23/23 4:44 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

6th gen Accord basically undercut the 5th gen Prelude

David S. Wallens
9/23/23 7:13 a.m.

In reply to Warlock :

I do remember that STS Prelude. JG, can you recall the driver? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xmT6Il5XfZwANW0Qqe549W3kHB8BHdrmYaUZkYZwZRWJTdptyOi8O0owtOw969yB