1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/6/24 4:39 p.m.
feature_image

Who needs a trackside condo when you could have a whole race track? That’s right, California’s iconic Willow Springs is for sale.

The complex is comprised of 7 circuits–Willow Springs Raceway, the Streets of Willow Springs, Walt James Stadium, Willow Springs Speedway, Willow Springs Kart Track, The Balcony and the Horse Thief Mile–all situated across some 600 acres of land.

The complex …

Read the rest of the story

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
6/6/24 4:43 p.m.

what is the asking price, do they say, i couldn't find it anywhere

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
6/6/24 4:45 p.m.

if you want a smaller, less expensive Michigan location; Grattan raceway is still available.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/grattan-raceway-park-is-for-saleand-it-has-been-for-years/

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/6/24 4:55 p.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

I didn't see anything either, but I think that's on purpose.

Sort of like when you see "price available upon application."

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/24 5:09 p.m.

I have to ask, so...

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/24 6:45 p.m.

Too bad most of y'all are back east. If we all pooled our money..... Voila! GRM Speedway!

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
6/6/24 6:45 p.m.

In honor of all of the FB Marketplace/Craigslist trolls:

"Is it still available?" (ghosting ensues)

"Will you take a trade?"

"Can you finance the sale?"

"Will you take *lowball offer* and deliver it?"

"Can I pay in installments?"

"I'm a single parent and my child really wants this.  Is this price the best you can do?"

wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/24 7:15 p.m.

There's a form for an "Offering Memoradum". I think that's how you get the price.

I've been there a few times over the past 23 years as crew and for media test sessions, but only driven one of the tracks (Horsethief Mile) briefly.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/6/24 8:28 p.m.

I joke that if I ever won the mega bizzillions super lotto I'd buy Willow.

I raced motorcycles there in the late 80s and it still looks exactly the same. It needs investment.

As for the big track I'd add an inner loop between turns six and seven; in all but the fastest cars you are floored all the way down to turn 9. I'd also add FIA curbing in several spots. 

By my estimate it needs about 10-15 million above and beyond the price of the facility itself.

Then there's the issue of doing business in California; I'd be concerned about the State bogging down the improvements with red tape.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/24 8:33 p.m.

I’ve been lucky to drive the big track (wow, it’s fast) plus Streets–totally loved Streets. Might have once set some brakes on fire there, too. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/6/24 8:39 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I’ve been lucky to drive the big track (wow, it’s fast) plus Streets–totally loved Streets. Might have once set some brakes on fire there, too. 

So round about 1989 I rode a TZ250 there; my overriding memory is doing near 150 through turn 8. You'd ride the inside edge of the track and lean out over the dirt...........I thought it cool then but would probably wet myself now.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/6/24 9:16 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

By my estimate it needs about 10-15 million above and beyond the price of the facility itself.

More than that.  It needs a total repave -- that cost $20M at Laguna, labor rates are probably lower in Rosamund but there's also more pavement.  Then there's all the buildings and other facilities...

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/6/24 11:38 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

They repaved half of the track last summer. The other half is set for repaving this summer........naturally with it up for sale they may not do that.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/24 1:06 a.m.

The first time I visited Spring Mountain in 2002 it was basically just a couple of tents and a little track. A few years later, it was sold and it's just exploded since then. The timeline is like a guide on how to build a track facility. 
https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/images/pdf/2024/20240101_smmr_historical_timeline.pdf

I think it's fair to say Willow Springs will see some significant changes after the sale. You can see it in the write up, the notes about the low entry fees and hints about better/fancier infrastructure. It's well located to serve the big LA money. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/7/24 5:44 a.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

In honor of all of the FB Marketplace/Craigslist trolls:

"Is it still available?" (ghosting ensues)

"Will you take a trade?"

"Can you finance the sale?"

"Will you take *lowball offer* and deliver it?"

"Can I pay in installments?"

"I'm a single parent and my child really wants this.  Is this price the best you can do?"

wink

Must be a specific thing in my area but..

"Would you take an x-box and pack of newports?"

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
6/7/24 9:34 a.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

Someone on Reddit said 1.5M which seems low. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/7/24 10:01 a.m.
theruleslawyer said:

Someone on Reddit said 1.5M which seems low. 

I think someone is looking at the assessed value (for tax purposes) in the listing.  That's basically meaningless due to prop 13.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
6/7/24 1:24 p.m.

it is 95 miles  from LAX airport taking the freeway , so not a bad drive , 

and  its close to 100F  most of the summer but  low  humidity, 

they did build the Race Track with houses at the track in Thermal near Palm Springs , I doubt that  Palmdale  can pull the money people like the Palm Springs area .

I hope someone buys it that will fix it up and still leave it open to club racing etc ....

Kitsbeach (Forum Supporter)
Kitsbeach (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/7/24 4:32 p.m.

Someone be that guy and phone for the price 

te72
te72 HalfDork
6/7/24 10:26 p.m.

I was gonna buy it, but I can only afford to swing two tracks this month. If it's still for sale next week, we'll see. =P

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/7/24 11:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I've been running at Spring Mountain since it opened;would love to see someone do that with Willow Springs.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/9/24 4:34 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/9/24 10:09 p.m.

Willow Springs.  Oldest road course left in the US?

Opened in 1953.  Any older ones?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/24 11:04 p.m.

I feel like GRM and Haggerty should team up to buy it and then lease it out to clubs for racing on the weekend and for YouTubers to review vehicles during the week. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
6/9/24 11:59 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Sebring opened in 1951

Well, December 31, 1950

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1Dl6ITidbgqRx1TeEaZYANvWs4xjtVPdiPUuOnWUsfQdw6Nc9tVzybw1AcbXLVd