ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 7:35 a.m.

Did I miss this as a post yet?

http://jalopnik.com/5432181/man-attempts-corvette-z06-burnout-roasts-clutch-instead

Guy wants to "burn off" the rear tires on his C6 Z06. Instead, he fries the clutch. Painful to watch.

Edit: I see a link in another thread. Sorry for the repeat.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/23/09 8:00 a.m.

Wile E Coyote.... Super Genius

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 8:05 a.m.

I watched it, again, and it sounds like the motor is toast, too. Am I hearing a knock?

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
12/23/09 8:16 a.m.

Wow, D-bag.

Did you see the part under the video where readers believe the driver had the parking brake engaged, thereby forbidding the rear tires to spin and sending all the load back into the clutch.
The fact the none of the spectators noticed and warned that the smoke was from the front/mid of the car is equally alarming.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
12/23/09 8:35 a.m.

Had a buddy in a z06 do that to a much lesser extent. We had to give him burnout instructions.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 8:43 a.m.

It looks like the p-brake is set to me too.

I love the part where the genius cameraman walks two feet in front of Z06 at redline....twice.

What if genius #1 released the brake, or the clutch disintegrated and locked up all the sudden?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
12/23/09 8:56 a.m.

i feel embarassed just watching it....

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 9:01 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: The fact the none of the spectators noticed and warned that the smoke was from the front/mid of the car is equally alarming.

Just a hunch..maybe this guy and his buddy weren't liked too much?

"bye bye $600!" = douche.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/09 9:10 a.m.

Okay, I've watched it for the fifth time. A C6's transaxle is in the back. Smoke from the engine bay and a knock? I'm betting an LS7 crate motor is much more than $600.

Epic fail.

I believe there should be an SPCA for cool cars (as defined by anyone with half-dork status or more on the GRM board). That would allow us to intervene on behalf of these poorly treated cars and seize them for their own good (and ours, too). We wouldn't even need to change the acronym :)

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
12/23/09 10:19 a.m.

That is the sad I can't believe he doesn't smell the clutch

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
12/23/09 1:03 p.m.
ZOO wrote: Okay, I've watched it for the fifth time. A C6's transaxle is in the back. Smoke from the engine bay and a knock? I'm betting an LS7 crate motor is much more than $600.

the clutch and flywheel are bolted to the motor, not the trans.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
12/23/09 1:23 p.m.

Could he have pulled the parking brake up when he was getting out?

TJ
TJ Dork
12/23/09 4:19 p.m.

I'm holding out a small amount of hope for a Christmas miracle and that we find out this whole thing was staged.

If not, how can someone so dumb make enough money to have a Z06?

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
12/23/09 6:02 p.m.

Does that make anyone else want to strangle that yuppie douchebag?

And then take the car and drive it like it should be driven...with some berkeleying respect.

My uncle has a saying for people like that: "All dollars and no sense."

jikelly
jikelly Reader
12/23/09 7:07 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: The fact the none of the spectators noticed and warned that the smoke was from the front/mid of the car is equally alarming.

That was my thinking too. I would have stoped the guy as soon as I saw the rearwheels weren't spinning and the engine was still reving. Just from the smell a mechanic would know the clutch was getting burned. Right??

All those dudes were idiots.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
12/23/09 7:42 p.m.

I was more worried about his proximity to buildings, people, and other cars. If he is so bad at burnouts that he left the parking brake up, imagine what would have happened if he didn't.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
12/23/09 8:41 p.m.

I agree he is an idiot, and should be trampled in a Black Friday line, but he didn't leave the brake up. You can hear him set it as he gets out. Which is still stupid, everybody knows spirited driving = no e-brake. It will seize!

devilsbox
devilsbox GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/23/09 9:38 p.m.

Could it be some kind of screw-up with the launch control? There were a number of beeps right before the, well... event. What would happen if you enabled the launch control and then kept the brake down (trying to do a big, smoky burnout)?

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
12/23/09 9:42 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: I agree he is an idiot, and should be trampled in a Black Friday line, but he didn't leave the brake up. You can hear him set it as he gets out. Which is still stupid, everybody knows spirited driving = no e-brake. It will seize!

Thats what I was thinking...

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
12/23/09 10:26 p.m.

Figure if you tried a burnout and the clutch did all the smoking a new clutch was in the future anyways.

This is exactly why I think burnouts are stupid. For all the wear and tear on the car for 15 seconds of smoke I think I'll pass. If I want to see some real smoke I'll fire up the buell.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
12/23/09 10:57 p.m.
vazbmw wrote: That is the sad I can't believe he doesn't smell the clutch

clutch stink..ugh i wanna vomit

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
12/23/09 11:41 p.m.

Wow, what a D-bag... It sucks that people like that get to buy those types of cars :-(

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/24/09 2:09 a.m.

DUDE! Your wheels aren't spinning! You're doing it wrong!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/09 8:34 a.m.
1slowcrx wrote: Wow, what a D-bag... It sucks that people like that get to buy those types of cars :-(

and give the rest of us bad reputations

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/24/09 5:23 p.m.

I was really hoping this was gonna be fake, like a send off of a dying clutch but it seems real to me, sad sad sad!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qd2TirAc208aRvNRDj0On0deA73b1IFFxYOemiSBBEzjRAxQYZ4zftafxlzjuDjb