1 2
AKADriver
AKADriver New Reader
5/31/11 12:25 p.m.

Reading the post about the new bike in the GRM stable made me ponder the question.

Check out a newsstand and there seem to be a few types:

"New bike/gear reviews" magazines that are like the two-wheeled version of Motor Trend

"Wild, high-dollar custom bike" magazines that are like the two-wheeled version of Rod & Custom

"Lifestyle" magazines that... I don't even wanna go there

Is there a publication for people who tinker with bikes that are neither classic nor the latest craze, focused on making cost-effective upgrades and improving rider skill?

I'm imagining a parallel-universe GRM where "the answer is always SV650" (instead of Miata).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/31/11 12:35 p.m.

I love Motorcycle Classics.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/31/11 12:55 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I love Motorcycle Classics.

Probably the only US bike magazine that fits the requirements, it is a good mag. http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/ Here's another good magazine from the UK: http://www.classicmechanics.com/

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/11 1:18 p.m.

+1 for Motorcycle classics. If you like choppers, "The Horse" is pretty grassroots.

I used to subscribe for a while to Classic Mechanics, but since it's been taken over by another publishing company the quality isn't quite what it used to be. Another cool UK classic bike magazine is Real Classic, which was founded by the original owners of Classic Mechanics. Mind ewe, it's mostly leaky Brit stuff that they write about.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
5/31/11 2:06 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I love Motorcycle Classics.

+1 on that one. Not a subscriber, but I occasionally buy it on the newsstand.

alex
alex SuperDork
5/31/11 3:49 p.m.

Yet another reason to launch the spin-off: Sprockets.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/31/11 3:51 p.m.
alex wrote: Yet another reason to launch the spin-off: Sprockets.

Sprockets.... 500$ challenge? I like it. Run it next to the 2011$.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/31/11 5:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
alex wrote: Yet another reason to launch the spin-off: Sprockets.
Sprockets.... 500$ challenge? I like it. Run it next to the 2011$.

YES PLEASE!!!!!!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/31/11 8:16 p.m.

What about Scooter or Cafe Racer. I like both of them, and they are both sorta GRMy.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/11 10:05 p.m.
AKADriver wrote: I'm imagining a parallel-universe GRM where "the answer is always SV650" (instead of Miata).

Well, I have said that if we ever start a bike mag, I'll buy an SV650.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
6/1/11 8:55 a.m.

I would add Grassroots Motorbikes to my subscription list for sure!

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
6/1/11 10:14 a.m.

I would happily toss my name in the hat to be on the staff of Grassroots Motorbikes....I've already owned 2 SV650s and am currently working on a Cafe '78 GS750. Let me know.....

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
6/1/11 10:25 a.m.

Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology has good writers that are racers. They do a lot of modifying motorcycles for track use. It is the only motorcycle magazine that I subscribe to.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/11 1:07 p.m.

I don't know the draw is there for a full mag. Maybe a once a quarter insert would be more doable for our favorite small shop mag? That might interest some guys who aren't into high buck HD products nor are ready to plunk down serious change for the latest sportbike w/ styling courtesy of Transformers 8 - Electric Boogaloo.

Believe it or not when I used to read Bike they had some great low buck articles. About forgotten sportbikes and sport-tourers. That mag is brit based so it's stupid expensive ($10!) at the newstand but the articles in that one are gold.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/1/11 4:39 p.m.
AKADriver wrote: I'm imagining a parallel-universe GRM where "the answer is always SV650" (instead of Miata).

Hmmm. And if the answer would normally be, say, BMW E30 would the answer be "KLR650"?

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
6/1/11 7:10 p.m.
DustoffDave wrote: I would happily toss my name in the hat to be on the staff of Grassroots Motorbikes....I've already owned 2 SV650s and am currently working on a Cafe '78 GS750. Let me know.....

Um, I could be the "small bore" editor. I've never ridden a bike bigger than a 250, and I like it that way.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
6/1/11 10:23 p.m.
ddavidv wrote:
Hmmm. And if the answer would normally be, say, BMW E30 would the answer be "KLR650"?

Nah, Jeep Cherokee would be KLR650, BMW E30 would be CBR600.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
6/2/11 7:33 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I don't know the draw is there for a full mag. Maybe a once a quarter insert would be more doable for our favorite small shop mag? That might interest some guys who aren't into high buck HD products nor are ready to plunk down serious change for the latest sportbike w/ styling courtesy of Transformers 8 - Electric Boogaloo.

Based on the wide interests here in the Sprockets forum, I'm also guessing that locking down enough of a focus would be hard. Is it about racing, cheap bikes, or some combination thereof?

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
6/2/11 10:45 a.m.
BAMF said: Based on the wide interests here in the Sprockets forum, I'm also guessing that locking down enough of a focus would be hard. Is it about racing, cheap bikes, or some combination thereof?

Not to mention the Bicycle guys (of which I am one also)...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/2/11 1:16 p.m.

Well... seems to me you already have a successful mag and it has a name that isn't exclusive to cars. A "Sprockets" section would be swell.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
6/2/11 1:30 p.m.

Why not do "Sprockets" as a separate website and save the paper? We could all contribute. Should be cheap to produce. Pay us by the word, etc....

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
6/2/11 1:47 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

$10xx dollar challenge

Half the wheels half the budget!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/2/11 2:12 p.m.
stroker wrote: Why not do "Sprockets" as a separate website and save the paper? We could all contribute. Should be cheap to produce. Pay us by the word, etc....

It would be a lot cheaper to just list a "Sprockets" forum and let the posters do it for free.

Oh, wait..............

stroker
stroker HalfDork
6/2/11 4:34 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
stroker wrote: Why not do "Sprockets" as a separate website and save the paper? We could all contribute. Should be cheap to produce. Pay us by the word, etc....
It would be a lot cheaper to just list a "Sprockets" forum and let the posters do it for free. Oh, wait..............

not too many "articles" published here, unfortunately.

subrew
subrew Reader
6/15/11 4:00 p.m.

I like Motorcycle Classics and Roadrace World. Totally different ends of the moto mag spectrum, but both smaller mags that are well done. I was lucky enough to put together a few articles for them over the years too:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/Motorcycle-Reviews/1970-Suzuki-AC50-Maverick.aspx

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/motorcycle-reviews/2007-11-01/honda-s65.aspx

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/motorcycle-reviews/1964-yamaha-YG-1T-Trailmaster-80.aspx

The Roadrace World article can be found if you're a subscriber to their online system. I think it was published in the March 2010 issue. Little something about visiting the Macau GP.

Chris H.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xhnXxnUzG6fHk8dH5W89fvBxfZ9jFqvSfMWTZFZlK6nVKRYnxBdTp6YDlEGo3Gmo