I've been half-heartedly looking for a motorcycle project for a while, have contacted sellers a few times recently, but nothing has panned out. After missing a mid-70s CB750 a week or so ago, I saw this posting and replied immediately:

(Note: "Sold" was added later. 🤘🏻)

Dammit, second in line! Fortunately, seller got tired of waiting on the first guy to get his E36 M3 together, and said "when can you be here with cash and a trailer?" So I threw the 2" ball on the Ody and picked up a trailer at U-haul:

and I'm now the second owner of this 1983 Honda V45 Sabre:

She's sitting patiently in whiskey_business's garage while I work on making MonZora start reliably. Eventual plan is to putz around with her this winter, clean carbs and replace tires and rebuild brake and clutch hydraulics, etc. Good excuse to buy a big ultrasonic cleaner. 🤘🏻😎

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/8/24 1:40 p.m.

I don't know that I've seen a fairing on these before. Really like the look and should make it a nicer place to spend time.  Good luck with the project.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/8/24 1:43 p.m.

Well congratulations!  I had a V-45 Magna once, V4s have a special sound but can't be killed.  You'll enjoy it.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/8/24 1:59 p.m.

I've had a beater v45 saber, and really liked it. Never cared for the Magnas. Like the interceptors, but never rode one. 
Had my sister on a v30 magna for a bit. Rode it about as much as her! Quick little bike, and a ton of fun. 
Great score, and congrats on the faring. Never seen one in person, but love it on the bike. 

The Hondaline fairing really prettys up the Sabre, IMO.

Here's my V65-

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/8/24 2:37 p.m.

You could'nt have found a better cared for bike if you wanted to at that price.  Looks excellent!

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

The Hondaline fairing really prettys up the Sabre, IMO.

Here's my V65-

Mine is missing the leg pieces. And dang a V65 in silver with red is a dream bike for me. Fastest OEM bike in the world for many years, wasn't it?

johndej
johndej UltraDork
9/8/24 4:06 p.m.

Nice looking bike and fantastic price, best of luck getting it back on the road again!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/9/24 12:15 a.m.

Make it regal. Pronounce it Sah-Bray. Preferably in Derek Bieri/Vice Grip Garage voice.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/24 12:35 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

...and I'm now the second owner of this 1983 Honda V45 Sabre:

As the second owner of a 1982 Honda V45 Magna. I sincerely hope you don't have to pull the carbs.

That's a very pretty and well bought Sabre. Looking forward to your progress.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/9/24 10:24 a.m.

Impressively clean for a $400 bike, well bought! 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
9/9/24 1:36 p.m.

Very nice that you have enablers willing to store your purchases!  

Nice bike dude!

myf16n
myf16n GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/24 2:37 p.m.

Congratulations! The Sabre was pretty advanced for its time. One of the first motorcycles with self-cancelling turn signals based on steering-head angle, anti-dive valving on the fork, and a security cable / alarm with a fiber optic cable embedded internally.

I bought a 1982 Sabre brand new, then bought the V45 Interceptor the next year. Don't skimp on oil and oil changes. This motor is well known to have oil delivery issues to the top end, and less than stellar hardening on the cams and followers exacerbates the issue.  After seeing the Honda racebikes plumbed with external oil delivery (higher pressure) to the heads, I paid a shop to do the same to mine. They also use one cam follower for 2 valves. This can cause added wear of the follower and cam due to uneven pressure due to individual adjusters on each valve. The threaded adjusters were also known to back out and fall into the deepest recesses of the motor. Torque them well.

The beautiful bodywork traps heat behind the motor and quickly overheats the rear shock. The longer the ride, the less damping you experience. The regulator rectifiers are also not getting enough cooling air. Many people install a tiny cpu fan in an attempt to make them last longer.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/9/24 2:44 p.m.

Angry, If you're just getting back into this and needed things like chaps or leather jacket shoot me a message I may be able to help.

I didn't know you could wear chaps outside the house until I bought a bike!😂

I sold the R-90 to finance the Caddy engine build.

Dan

In reply to 914Driver :

Maybe to leather jacket, no to chaps outside the house. 🤘🏻😎

In reply to myf16n :

Good info, thanks! Yeah, the PO told me about the anti-dive and the self-cancelling turn signals.

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/24 9:11 p.m.

Brother has a V65. Awesome bikes. Just about the only Honda I would consider owning. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8phxyK6iFMjGebzjPNjt7AIHu3B0uFXGAQKR9kgmd0TQwIQeUkf9jN2v5RS0rXrO