TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
7/4/23 7:43 a.m.

Looks great!! 

I used to own an MT and a '73 CR250

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/10/23 8:49 a.m.

Yesterday I went over to help dad get it started, expecting to spend the afternoon chasing a wiring issue. Instead it started on 3rd kick! We had filled the oil tank with 2-stroke oil and the gas tank with a bit of pre-mix, just in case the oil pump didn't work, so it's a little smokey right now. With it running we were able to tune it down to a nice low idle and adjust the clutch and brakes. It's a real ripper! Very eager to rev and I got it up to 50 in the neighborhood. It starts back up on first kick. Dad is very pleased with his build! And I'm very proud of him. It still has some wiring issues to sort, since the headlights and signals don't seem to work, but at least we got to ride. This is one cool bike.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/10/23 11:03 a.m.

Awesome. Its a honest lil bike. Seems like the smaller, lighter, less displacement bikes offer the right nostalgic look and feel. 
i have a project, non running 1989 honda 125 4 stroke. The more i see similar bikes, the more i think they are great for the goofing around i want to do. 

maschinenbau
7/13/23 11:18 a.m.

I agree, it's a nice class of bike. Now pure envy has me shopping for a 70's dual sport of my own...what other small 2 stroke dual sport would beat dad's bike in a race from that era?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
7/23/23 8:29 a.m.

Internet says get a Suzuki TS

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/24/23 11:36 a.m.

The only seller's remorse I've ever had was watching my TS250 leave.  I've heard the 185's are even better.

maschinenbau
7/24/23 2:21 p.m.

I've been talking with a few TS185's for sale locally. I like the looks of them. Could look even cooler being hauled in my 70's El Camino...

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/3/23 5:07 p.m.

I rode a TS185 that came in for a trade when I worked at the Honda dealer in high school, my memory is that it was pretty peppy!

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/12/23 12:57 a.m.

I say TS400. I had a lot of different dual sport bikes in the 70s.  Kawasaki 125, Yamaha 175, Suzuki 250.  I rode both the Yamaha 400 and Suzuki 400.  Yamaha was more refined but I loved the styling  of the Suzuki.  The MX version of the Suzuki had a widowmaker reputation but the TS version was very predictable.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/12/23 1:05 a.m.

Glad you picked it up and didn't listen to the naysayers.  Anyone trashing the Honda MT could not have been comparing it to any contemporary dual sport.  They were some of the best of the breed dual sports.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RLy6f4jCUVe9UPfvJzfcCumnRqMm5KPZNLjZCGcqFHtWbMpd0MJYBlwpVV3j5Taw