1 2
Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/7/24 11:11 a.m.

This whole example is skewed. FHA will loan 45% of gross, idiot math makes 4500/mo... If she can't afford or doesn't want to go above 2k/month, you will not be a home owner period, unless it's in a poor neighborhood or it's going to be a 2bd/1bth in <1k sqft. Expectations/= reality.

I would have said to take the 401k if it makes a difference because the home value will increase faster than the amount the investment will grow over a long time. Clearly, it doesn't here.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/7/24 12:15 p.m.
SV reX said:

I don't see how she's gonna keep her mortgage payment under $2000 per month. With only $20,000 down, it's gonna be a stretch to keep it under $3000.

and that doesn't take into account the property taxes that are likely close to $1000 per month. B-I-L's house in Wall sold for $470k a few years ago and his property taxes were $13k per year. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/7/24 12:42 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

CHEEBUS!

I live in a Blue state with no sales tax and my property taxes on a house with a street value of around $400k are about $3500 a year for county and municipality combined.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/7/24 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

his house in Philly isn't much cheaper. Wife and I were complaining because our assessed value went up (1% of assessed value is Indiana's rate) so we are paying $2600 now. When we had a mortgage it was LESS than his property tax payment. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/7/24 1:28 p.m.

I grew up in NJ. NJ has some of the highest property taxes in the country. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/7/24 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Sheesh. Even paying late fees, I shelled out $3200 on 13 acres and a house for summer taxes. Winter taxes are sub $400....

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/7/24 1:34 p.m.

I live in a pretty desirable lake front property in AL.  My taxes just went up to $1640. 

...per YEAR.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/7/24 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

wait, your taxes change by season? that seems.... odd. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
3/7/24 1:39 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Ranger50 :

wait, your taxes change by season? that seems.... odd. 

Michigan. We get summer and winter taxes as well. Summer, for us, is roughly 5x more expensive and we would average out to $500/month if we paid it in Escrow.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/7/24 3:03 p.m.

Where I am in PA there are two tax bills, Township taxes in the Spring (due April 15, of course) and then School Taxes in September.  The latter are a little more than 2x the former.  Neither are all that big - less than a typical monthly CC bill - but I also live on a postage stamp of a lot in a twp known for below average schools. 

My ex- lives in NJ and through her and other friends I have there, I've come to appreciate my relatively low tax bills. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/8/24 1:18 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

My sister is trying to get a house but is short on funds to meet the 20% down payment. I suggested that she use her 401k money. 

This is all I read.  No.  The answer is no.  I don't need to read further, it's a no.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H5N8HNi8DScFMNnftlYcWJhrJc9cwXrXqQi51cpx24krzh2ea6vUBWVgJPHeo1FM