Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/16/15 2:12 p.m.

the only access to my shop is through two 9 foot wide garage doors. that's it. so anytime I need to go in for something quick, etc, I let all the warm/cool air out. there is no way to add another entrance either.

I saw a company that makes a sectional garage door with a man door through it, but my god those are expensive. I could buy a nicely done lotus 7 for the cost of one.

any ideas on how to make my own and keep the entire door functional to still get cars in and out?

gotta be a way to GRM this without a ton of money....

slefain
slefain UberDork
7/16/15 2:22 p.m.

Study this, start cutting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExNPClRMZmU

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/16/15 3:08 p.m.

That was essentially my thoughts, except with more added details.

What would long term reliability be of this? Could I reuse the cut out section to make my door?

Anyone here tried this?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
7/16/15 3:13 p.m.

We have a "cut-out" man door in an overhead roll-up door where I work. It's been there since the 70's I'd guess. Very heavy duty and I shudder at the cost of getting one done now.

Good luck making a home-brew version.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/15 3:14 p.m.

Too boring. Install a trapdoor on the roof.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/16/15 3:22 p.m.

If you have the patience, you could what the guy in the youtube video did. Garage door openers don't like binding and if you get the door out of whack and it binds, you're gonna have a bad time.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
7/16/15 4:45 p.m.

If you could convert one into a 50's style single panel door than cutting a walk in door into it is no challenge.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/15 5:23 p.m.

opel = money

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/15 6:04 p.m.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/15 6:58 p.m.

Stop the garage door when it's 2 feet up and roll underneath it!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/15 7:13 p.m.

www.solopetdoors.com?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/16/15 7:20 p.m.

So pretty much this is not an idea that I can cheaply and reliably implement. That YouTube video is just about the only non-professionally produced version i have found.

Guess I will work on my duck and roll.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat Dork
7/16/15 7:33 p.m.

Can you just cut a regular door in somewhere?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/16/15 7:39 p.m.

Nope. Basement garage. Dirt on three sides and two garage doors is all I got.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
7/16/15 8:59 p.m.

Start digging,cement blox break out . picture?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/16/15 9:15 p.m.

[URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/031_zpsd8ec6171.jpg.html][/URL]

Can't really dig. Going in through the garage doors is pretty much it...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/29/20 3:08 p.m.

I'm bringing this thread back up because it's come up in the hotlink thread. At the house we're buying is a garage. 

this garage, I stole it from zillow, if you can't see it let me know and I'll upload it. 

Anyway, there is this door on the front, and the same door on the back that leads to a shed. So it's meant to be driven through. There is just no man door to the garage, and I'd much rather have a man door for temperature control and ease of access. In this picture, the right side wall is poured concrete to 5ft high against a hill. The walkway goes to the door of the house and past the garage, but where it ends is where the power goes into the garage, no real place to cut one in the side, particularly without better pictures and measurements. 

I started looking into a passtrhough door, first as a weird idea, but then I saw they do exist. There are companies that make and install them. According to lots of other forums and places like Quora, there are kits you can buy. According to the variations of "garage door with pass through door kit" "diy garage man door" "garae door with wicket door" and several others, no actual kits are for sale, just people thinking there are. 

I'm not so gung ho as to want to email for a quote and deal with a million phone calls and emails afterwards, I'm just looking for a ballpark price on such a door or if it really is as easy as some pictures make it out to be. 

something liks this. 

I can't find many interior pictures, but it doesn't look overly compicated. Extra hinges, extra support as a frame, taking care to watch the folding angles, and maybe an extra long striker in the door handle. But when I think something looks easy, it's usually quite the opposite, see the new plywood floor in my living room. 

Have any of you guys done this or maybe have better google fu than I do? New computer, same chrome profile and everything, but my google results for most any searches have gone to complete garbage.

Lastly, there is this video. 

I want to buy something just like this basically, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Nice build in place kit, one low to medium money, 2 guys and a day to put together. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/29/20 4:15 p.m.

Michael

Here's a GRM way to get a man door on your shop:

Mount a barn door track on the outside face of the wall and remove the roll up door on one side. Build and hang a wood barn door across that garage opening. Cut a man door in the new barn door - leaving it about a foot up from the bottom to keep some strength in the barn door.  

You'd lose the ability to have both sides fully open at the same time but you'd gain a man door.  

Bonus points because your shop gains a foot of depth on the side with the barn door. 

edit: like dat

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/29/20 4:29 p.m.

I wonder just how tough it would be to fabricate a track for the floor that could be driven over and turn the door on its side? Replace the rollers on the bottom with fixed casters and a track to run them in, so they could support the weight of the panels and keep it aligned as it rolled open, then put the opener on the side wall? 

I kinda want to try it. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/29/20 4:45 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy : seems like finding the right casters would be possible. 

alternate accordion door

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MHh1mahaBsYO5ZZzm3JELXi7yTjRzeJLRKI8kVZGVODlq2cGnzGJUWHgQcytQr4w