1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
1/24/14 6:31 a.m.

It snowed. Sort of. There is the lightest dusting of snow on the deck, but none anywhere else. It's not even enough that you can leave a footprint in it. Of course that means school is canceled.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/24/14 6:55 a.m.

Seven degrees here this morning. Kids are home from school for the fourth straight day after we got a dusting of snow on Tuesday. Sigh.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/24/14 6:59 a.m.

long sleeved shirt today. Grilled hamburgers, peppers, onions and pineapple last night.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/24/14 7:14 a.m.

-7 at the house this morning. Luckily the winds died down to 10-15mph. Expecting another 2-4 inches tonight and then another 3-5 on Sunday. The good news is the winds are coming back tomorrow so expect drifting. But at least we've got the heat wave coming in (17 high today, 25 tomorrow and 33 on Sunday). But it goes back to 0 on Monday.

Average winter snowfall total: 25.9". Current snowfall total as of yesterday: 29.8" with another 3-8" coming in this weekend. berkeley winter.

Got to find a house in Hawaii.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/24/14 8:39 a.m.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/10/15 6:41 a.m.

I think the more snow we get the more people thing the rules of the road don't apply to them. Either that or there was a sale of stupid pills at the market and when they were panicking and getting there bread and milk they stocked up on there as well.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/10/15 6:54 a.m.

Getting really sick of the snow down here in southeastern MA. There's just so much of it and only so many places I can move it.

And now they are saying we are getting another storm with possible blizzard conditions on thursday night...

jstand
jstand Reader
2/10/15 7:00 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Central MA isn't much better.

To add to it, the fan belt for the snowmobile is back ordered and won't be in until next week.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/10/15 7:13 a.m.

In reply to jstand:

I just broke another shovel last night, and busted a weld that held on the handle of my smaller snowblower. The good news is my bigger, more powerful machine is back up and running! I replaced the carb, threw a plug in it, and replaced the pull cord, and it starts first pull now.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/15 7:15 a.m.

No snow here yet, but if it comes, I plan to change exactly zero percent of my daily routine.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/10/15 8:25 a.m.

Heavy snow here last night. Enough to dust the roofs and I had to give the wipers TWO swipes to clear the windshield before driving to work this morning.

I hear it kinda sucks back home in the Plymouth area though....

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/10/15 8:32 a.m.

I am tired of all of this snow. It seems like it has been snowing for 2 straight weeks!!! Snowblower is getting a major workout.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/10/15 10:40 a.m.

I have not been in the office in three weeks!!! I actually need to get in there as the paperwork is probably a mile high. Ever since the first storm there has been no parking. The lots I usually use are full of the locals as there is no place on the streets. Now with the T closing down I did not even bother today. I may actually go in some time around 9:00 pm just to get in to my office to get some paperwork so I can keep up with the accounting and get some bills paid and some checks deposited.

I spent the morning removing snow from my roof so I could get rid of the 12" thick ice dams. I have never had issues before but I noticed that the light over my front door was filling up with water. Guess I have a new summer project and it is going to involve some roofing.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/10/15 12:38 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I am tired of all of this snow. It seems like it has been snowing for 2 straight weeks!!! Snowblower is getting a major workout.

I'd like to echo this sentiment, with the slight modification that it's my shoveling muscles getting the workout. Better than going to the gym I suppose.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/10/15 12:43 p.m.

Any advice in getting rid of ice dams? I have a whopper right outside my back door in a corner of my house.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/10/15 1:07 p.m.

Move South....

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/10/15 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

I cannot lie, it has crossed my mind more than once in the past 24 hours.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/10/15 1:16 p.m.

I was in the hardware store the other day replacing the snow shovel I broke, and saw pool chlorine sized ice melt tablets. Apparently you're supposed to throw them onto the roof to melt the ice dams. Maybe try that? Fortunately we don't have any (yet).

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/10/15 2:55 p.m.

Heard on the radio this afternoon and interesting idea. They said to take an old pair of hosiery, and fill it with ice melt/salt and chuck it into the ice dam. This will melt the snow/ice but allow the water to flow through it. Seems like good idea. May try it if we get any ice dams(likely).

Chris

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/10/15 3:00 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Any advice in getting rid of ice dams? I have a whopper right outside my back door in a corner of my house.

Yes. Insulate attic better and ventilate roof better.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
2/10/15 3:02 p.m.

It's cold here. Like almost below freezing cold! And it sleeted this morning. A little.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
2/10/15 3:15 p.m.

I'll just leave this here.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/15 3:26 p.m.

Today was cold enough that I needed a longsleeve shirt, but it's going to be 60 here tomorrow.

Might drop into the low 20s by Sunday evening though. That always makes the heat pump work overtime.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/10/15 3:27 p.m.

Yesterday in RI:

Not really exaggerating anything.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/10/15 3:33 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Any advice in getting rid of ice dams? I have a whopper right outside my back door in a corner of my house.
Yes. Insulate attic better and ventilate roof better.

My house is weird. It's a small half-Cape, and the area with the dam is in an inside corner. My "attic" is actually my second floor. It's vented correctly and all that. It's just that ice and snow gather there because the roof is pitched down there and it meets with the rear of my house which has a different pitch. That snow turns to ice, especially when you get a record amount in about 2 weeks time. The good thing is that it doesn't seem to be getting on the inside wall, but I'd like to clear it out. It could be worse; my friend's kitchen lights have water poring out of them right now.

My wife was actually talking about the ice melt pantyhose things. I may have to try that.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UYva9gmufe2EifoCjvMtktS1kyFGPRVlDoWnO5O6ypI2Wr4YL8OhOITaWMfOiywn