1 2 3
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/1/08 8:01 p.m.

Looks like Hurricane Hanna has decided to skirt the FL/GA/SC coast, giving GRM World HQ even MORE rain and maybe a little up my way as well.

At least Gustav seems to have not been anywhere near as bad as Katrina.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/1/08 8:07 p.m.

Yes, lovely time of year to be in Florida.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
9/1/08 10:36 p.m.

You know, you guys make fun of us when we're under a foot of snow in February and you're on the beach...it was 85 and sunny here today!

Hahaha. It all works out in the end. Hopefully the hurricanes leave GRM and any GRMers alone this year.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
9/2/08 6:44 a.m.

At least snow melts eventually. Hurricane clean up tends to take a bit longer.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/2/08 7:14 a.m.

I still think you jinxed us jensenman

looks like its cming right up SCs nose.

cwh
cwh Dork
9/2/08 7:24 a.m.

And now we have Ike heading our way. Plus an unnamed system off Africa. Those are the ones that sometimes turn into monsters. Damn, that snow I hate is starting to look more attractive. Maybe Washington state. The overall stress level here in SoFla has created nasty moods all over the place.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
9/2/08 9:21 a.m.
cwh wrote: Maybe Washington state.

Oh Nooooo! It rains here 24/7/365. Mudslides, volcanos too. Stay where you are. I'ts horrible here! Heck, we just started running the heat over the weekend. The brutaly cold winter is just around the corner.

/sarcasm

Jack Seattle

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/08 9:33 a.m.

Michigan Welcomes all hurricanes...

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/2/08 9:44 a.m.

OHIO eats hurricanes for breakfast!

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/2/08 10:09 a.m.

Hurricanes don't happen every year, I mean they don't hit the same spots every year. To most of the people being hit by them they are mostly like a big thunderstorm. Snow is every year and for a long time. It also comes with something that is called COLD - now that's the killer!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/2/08 10:35 a.m.

You gotta wonder why people live on the coast in Louisiana. Like Monroe. I mean, has there ever been a single year that Monroe didn't get wiped out? And who keeps rebuilding it? Oh, yeah, we do. OK, that makes sense then. Live there working in construction, paid for by the rest of the country. Leave when the hurricane comes in and flattens everything you built in the last year, come back and build it again. Job security.

It's starting to cloud up here from Gustav. We might get between 3 and 8 inches of rain between now and Friday. That's not too bad. It's the 8 inches of rain a day that will flood the river and render me to island living. Where's that parrot?

bluej
bluej Reader
9/2/08 11:01 a.m.

yarr! we're already into the J's

thank goodness hurricanes hitting naples are so rare, it only happens about once ever dozen years. we already got Fay this year, so we should be ok. still, the outer rain bands put a serious damper on working on the challenge car that is being built in my garageless, gravel driveway..

GregTivo
GregTivo New Reader
9/2/08 11:54 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: You gotta wonder why people live on the coast in Louisiana. Like Monroe. I mean, has there ever been a single year that Monroe didn't get wiped out? And who keeps rebuilding it? Oh, yeah, we do. OK, that makes sense then. Live there working in construction, paid for by the rest of the country. Leave when the hurricane comes in and flattens everything you built in the last year, come back and build it again. Job security. It's starting to cloud up here from Gustav. We might get between 3 and 8 inches of rain between now and Friday. That's not too bad. It's the 8 inches of rain a day that will flood the river and render me to island living. Where's that parrot?

Monroe, Louisiana is about 200 miles from the coast. Are you sure you aren't thinking of another city? And hurricanes don't usually flatten houses, they just throw E36 M3 around and storm surge floods them. Otherwise, its just a bad thunderstorm (with some tornados). Rebuilding after a hurricane (except for some rare instances like Katrina) isn't a tear down the house and rebuild from scratch thing, its a replace carpets and drywall thing for the most part. Expensive, yes, but most people come out OK.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
9/2/08 11:57 a.m.

I'll take a hurricane over tornadoes any day.

Hurricanes = Hurricane party and skimboarding in the yard. Tornadoes = teh suck.

GregTivo
GregTivo New Reader
9/2/08 12:00 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I'll take a hurricane over tornadoes any day. Hurricanes = Hurricane party and skimboarding in the yard. Tornadoes = teh suck.

my biggest inconvenience during a hurricane has been loss of power, necessitating use of electric lamps to play handheld video games.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/2/08 12:09 p.m.

I ment like Morgan City and Houma. They are always getting flattened.

I lived in Slidell through Fredrick, I think it was. It missed us directly, but it was bad enough.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
9/2/08 12:30 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I ment like Morgan City and Houma. They are always getting flattened. I lived in Slidell through Fredrick, I think it was. It missed us directly, but it was bad enough.

I think most of the business down there is a oilfield and fishing related. Hard to earn a living as either if you're far away from the coast. Its not like Miami Florida down there though, where millions of people live in harms way...New Orleans was really the only city that couldn't basically pull itself up without the government's help.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
9/2/08 12:53 p.m.
GregTivo wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I'll take a hurricane over tornadoes any day. Hurricanes = Hurricane party and skimboarding in the yard. Tornadoes = teh suck.
my biggest inconvenience during a hurricane has been loss of power, necessitating use of electric lamps to play handheld video games.

Generator FTMFW! Or multiple car batteries w/AC inverter.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/2/08 2:40 p.m.

The last one we had down here was Gaston, which was a borderline hurricane, it was originally called a tropical storm and it got upgraded to a hurricane maybe two weeks after the actual event. Some insurers will cover hurricane but not TS damage so I ga-ron-tee you there were some strings pulled.

All I had to do afterwards was rake the yard.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/2/08 2:47 p.m.

I think Monroe may be more than 200 miles from the coast. I grew up right by there and can't recall a hurricane that made it to Monroe.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/3/08 4:11 p.m.

5PM 9/3 NOAA has the center passing about 25 miles east of Wilmington, NC sometime Saturday morning. Man, am I glad I don't live in Wilmington. They get hit almost as much as Florida.

minimac
minimac Dork
9/4/08 7:06 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: You know, you guys make fun of us when we're under a foot of snow in February and you're on the beach...it was 85 and sunny here today!

Yahoo! It'll be 90 on Saturday! The Miami of the North. And we don't have to evacuate two or three times a year. Although I've evacuated myself looking out the window at the 48" of snow that fell overnight.

bluej
bluej Reader
9/4/08 7:09 a.m.

holy carp. Ike is already a cat 4. could get interesting.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
9/4/08 9:58 a.m.

Ike is a bad ass mofo..140 mph sustained winds at the moment, with a track thats pointing at my front door for now..Soon itll be time to batten down the hatches, check the generators, and start stowing anything that will catch air...looks like hanna going to run right up the NE corridor, been quite awhile since thats happened, but hopefully wont gain to much strength...and who knows where Josephine will end up... its shaping up to be a rough season, just hope if I do loose power for an extended period of time (like 04/05) it cool out , 90+ degrees plus 100% humidity and no a/c sucks...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/4/08 10:25 a.m.

11AM 9/4 NOAA has now moved the forecast track back out about 50 miles offshore of Wilmington. This damn thing is just refusing to cooperate.

And yes Ike is a bad sumbitch. I'll stay through a Cat 1 or 2 but Cat 3 and above I will pack the wife/kid/cat/dog/JensenHealey and head inland. 140 MPH sustained wind speeds are not my idea of fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g2l3GGhXUhi0yKKxeDJCyRx5WYh2J1FAUQ4k8UtS4MXP1oVkpFmv746MOTCpdQXT