1 2 3
nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
4/21/13 9:46 p.m.

Hmm, seems like I need to head north then.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/22/13 12:56 a.m.

Come to Canada. We haven't invented asphalt yet.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/22/13 1:02 a.m.

I live at the end of a 7-mile long dirt road with 1700 feet of elevation gain. It would make an excellent special stage, except for all the traffic (and deer). I definately get odd looks from the pickup and SUV drivers who make up 95% of the traffic when I'm driving either the MR2 or the Corvette to town. Not the most practical place to live for a real sports car fan, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I can live with only using my fun cars 5 - 6 months out of the year and the cautious drive on dirt to get to the pavement in return for the quiet, and lack of traffic at the house, as well as the scenery and wildlife. Oh, and you have to not mind the 150+ inches of snow each year, too.

But I wouldn't live anywhere else. An although I don't co-drive any more (used to back in the 70s and 80s), every time I go to town in the Jeep or pickup, I clearly think of my rallying days. Great memories!

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
4/22/13 2:39 a.m.

My inlaws live on one , and my parents don't but are surrounded by them they definitely are fun to drive on but I would hate to live on one. You could always tell who did by the covering of either dust or mud on their car depending on the time of year. Oh and while we were staying with the inlaws last year everyday when I got off work at 6 am and no one else was on the road I would practice my Scandinavian flick haha.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
4/22/13 5:06 a.m.

Heck, parts of Michigan are turning paved roads back into dirt.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/22/13 5:35 a.m.

Pennsylvania has plenty of unpaved roads. You just have to know where to look. The farther north you go, the easier they are to locate. This is pretty typical:

I learned car control on those roads, just farting around and also working/spectating SCCA rallies back when cars called GLH's roamed the earth. There are short segments close to home; the challenge is connecting the dots to stay on dirt. Southern York county has a fair share but a lot of them are littered with residences, or just aren't suitable for tail-out driving:

Nice for motorcycling though.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
4/22/13 6:58 a.m.

I live just outside Detroit, in a city neighborhood. We have a couple dirt roads, right in the middle of the city. It boggles the mind.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
4/22/13 7:10 a.m.

I can personally verify that GA and SC have a lot of dirt roads, especially the southern parts of those states.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/22/13 7:16 a.m.

I found one in TN (one? right just one). I'd love to find some here in Dayton.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
4/22/13 7:32 a.m.

1 word...

Texas.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/22/13 7:50 a.m.

I live out in the country, so there are still a lot of gravel roads.

There are a few dirt roads, one which I realized you don't need a 4x4 to get through mud. When I was in high school, I had my Corolla Wagon loaded with friends and when I was coming over the crest of a hill, the road went from a light brown to a dark brown. By the time I realized it was mud, I didn't have time to stop, so i just laid on the throttle and made it through the 150 foot patch. When I came over the next hill, I could see three more patches. I got through it just fine.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/22/13 8:19 a.m.

Although I visited an old Navy friend in NM a few years ago. 95% of what we drove was dirt/gravel.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/13 8:42 a.m.

there are a lot of unpaved roads out in the Pine Barrens of Southern NJ. They are put in and maintaned by the forestry service for fire breaks and to get trucks out to forest fires. They are open to the public and usually in decent shape for some good dirt drifting

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/22/13 8:48 a.m.

Live on a gravel road myself. PArents are close to some really fun ones.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
4/22/13 9:43 a.m.

Lots here (Missouri).

In the 90's I worked in Chicago. There were still residential gravel roads well within the city limits at that time. Probably paved by now, but interesting none the less.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
4/22/13 9:52 a.m.

Lots of them around here, some are only open in the warm weather.

That's upstate NY.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/22/13 11:34 a.m.

I grew up in a house on a dirt road in Michigan. For the first several years after I got my license, I bet I had logged more dirt road miles than paved road miles.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
4/22/13 11:44 a.m.

I'm 3 roads out of town. 10 years ago, the first was paved and the other 2 where dirt, now all 3 are tar and gravel. Actually all the roads around me have gone to tar and gravel, from both paved and dirt.

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/22/13 11:54 a.m.

National Forests in Wisconsin always seem to have a bunch of dirt/gravel roads. How about in your neck of the woods?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/22/13 12:08 p.m.

I have driven from the west coast of Michigan to near the east coast of Michigan on about 90% dirt. It takes some map readin' and a willingness to turn around and scout a new route.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
4/22/13 6:06 p.m.

Next to nothing left unpaved here in SE NH, there's practically nowhere left to legally leave pavement. Still a few good spots west of here, as well as further north.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/22/13 6:07 p.m.

I have seen a ton of dirt roads in both South Carolina and Louisiana

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/22/13 6:13 p.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: Go to Michigan, they don't pave anything.

And what we do pave should be ripped up and turned to gravel. It would be smoother.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/22/13 6:57 p.m.

There is one in my town. Only one gravel road. Flipping ct.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
4/22/13 7:03 p.m.
RossD wrote: National Forests in Wisconsin always seem to have a bunch of dirt/gravel roads. How about in your neck of the woods?

North central Wisconsin in the Chequemaegon (I think I spelled that wrong) had some spectacular roads the last time I was there. Hundreds of miles of twisting dirt and gravel. A fantastic summer of work spent driving around on them in a rental car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
drfdE9UWYgxQUmahRo9GB00EMxrtvk0kju6W1LOxM3ZPzHrkjIyo1WW8gtxANG19