TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/5/24 8:12 a.m.

I am tentatively going to Barrett-Jackson in January with two Air Force buddies that were also stationed at Beale in support of the SR-71. We will probably meet in the Dallas area and road trip it from there :)

We probably can't go for the whole time, so is better to go in the beginning, middle or end of the event?

Is there lots going on besides the auction?

Am I going to feel like a kid in the candy store with empty pockets (don't intend to buy anything)?

Thanx for comments!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/5/24 8:47 a.m.

Don't buy anything. 

Those guys sell the sizzle but not the steak.

I've dealt with 5 cars from Barrett now and they've all been a pile of trash.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/24 8:51 a.m.

Earlier cars are more reasonable.  The high dollar cars build until the crazy final weekend.  Do you prefer the "man, I should do something irresponsible" or watch the million dollar circus?  Both are fair and fun, just in different ways.

Just treat it as a huge car show.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/5/24 9:23 a.m.

Yeah, treat is as a big car show and enjoy. The big sales will likely cross the block when the TV cameras are rolling.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
9/5/24 2:06 p.m.

There are a couple other Companies that also have auctions that weekend in the area , mostly higher end cars but fun to look at :)

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
9/5/24 2:12 p.m.

Worth it to go to the Penske museum for sure.  

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/5/24 2:57 p.m.

Definitely not buying anything, I don't do anything without over researching it etc

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/24 3:34 p.m.

I attended January 2024 in Scottsdale. Had a bidder guest pass to get into the stage "front" seats. That was cool.

I think if you're buying go all week. There are some deals in the first couple days. Friday and Saturday are prime time with the highest (expected) stuff crossing the block around 7pm on Saturday. 

The staging lanes and ancillary events are fun. Scottsdale had Dodge and Toyota doing drifting ride alongs. Stuff like that. Great people watching. It's interesting to watch them try to pump up expected big sales that fizzle by having somebody famous tell what's so great about this car. Electric atmosphere when sales get rolling over a million on Saturday. 

This year the hot E36 M3 was GM trucks from 69's and 70's. Lowered or lifted - if it was restored well with a crate motor it was way over $150k.

10/10 would do again someday. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/5/24 3:36 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The big sales will likely cross the block when the TV cameras are rolling.

That's a real thing.  I had a friend, professional restomodder who does very nice work, try to sell one of his cars at B/J.

It happened to cross the block during an extended commercial break, and bidding was very weak.  It was a pattern throughout the day.  Many of these buyers want to be seen dropping wads of cash.  Even they know most of the cars aren't truly worth it.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/5/24 3:48 p.m.

It's Unreality Television

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/5/24 3:59 p.m.

If you're at the Scottsdale event, drop me a line and we'll grab a burger or something! I'm not too far south of there. 

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/5/24 5:02 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash : Sounds good

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/5/24 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yup, all part of the spectacle. 

Wear comfortable shoes, drink plenty of water and enjoy the day. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/5/24 10:32 p.m.

Whoever makes the lights they use in that building is talented.

Those things make anything look amazing.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/6/24 5:51 a.m.

My wife and I are doing "Auction January".  We will be at Mecum for the first two weeks of the month, then fly to Scottsdale for BJ.  We were at Mecum in 2024, where we bought a CJ7.  It was a great experience overall.  Is it garish and silly at times?  Yes, and that's part of the fun.  It's an experience and I'm super excited to go back.  If I don't sell my Jeep before January, I will consign it at Mecum and enjoy the ride.  My wife and I will set a small budget for a unique, whacky or fun car, probably at Mecum because it would be expensive to ship from BJ.  One of the first day cars, where the bargains are.  Can't wait!!!!

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/24 8:46 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

One of the first day cars, where the bargains are.  Can't wait!!!!

How do you do this?  There always seem to be reasonable cars going in the first couple of days.  Do you go looking for a "type" or total random?  Are the cars parked in a way that sort of resembles the order on the block?  Do you go the day before to scope it out?  Is there anything about a car that gives you more trust?

OHSCrifle
9/6/24 9:51 a.m.

Every car has a number sticker on the window. You can walk the lot and see when it'll go across. 

..after it sells it lists what it sold for. 

OHSCrifle
9/6/24 9:55 a.m.

Another thing about it is the individuals buying and selling some of the super odd "collectible" stuff like Barris cars is VERY small. They all know each other and the auctioneer will identify them by name. 

It's definitely a spectacle. As a spectator (I wasn't buying anything) it was FUN to watch the spotters work the crowd and whistle and wave the towel to help the auctioneer see the bidders all over the room. 

Lots of walking and drinking. Bring more wallet. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
9/6/24 10:18 a.m.

VIP get free drinks , helps them bid higher :)

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/6/24 10:58 a.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

One of the first day cars, where the bargains are.  Can't wait!!!!

How do you do this?  There always seem to be reasonable cars going in the first couple of days.  Do you go looking for a "type" or total random?  Are the cars parked in a way that sort of resembles the order on the block?  Do you go the day before to scope it out?  Is there anything about a car that gives you more trust?

Personally, I have a taste for uncommon and unusual cars. However I don't have anything specific.  The cars are usually parked in groups based on the day they will sell. Then on that date they are lined up in staging in numerical order according to their windshield sticker number.  You get plenty of time to look at them before they cross the block. Every day they print a sheet as well to show you what cars are selling in what order.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
9/6/24 3:23 p.m.

Back when I was cool I had press passes to Barrett-Jackson and actually was on stage taking photos a few times.

The people watching was epic. Lots of old guys who had traded in their first wives for newer models.

LukeGT
LukeGT GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/6/24 3:46 p.m.

I went in Jan 2019, I honestly thought it was the most epic experience I've ever had. Never seen that many absolutely incredible cars in one place at one time. Absolutely would go again and would recommend it to anyone who loves seeing awesome and rare cars. I wasn't a buyer by any means but I still thought it was overall amazing. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sg6csxFQPW9xDbj9WjL7yAItWQlfB3RZYTPt5gjU1WGugU48fCiTQwlmX6vk7xYx