slefain
slefain SuperDork
10/1/10 9:34 a.m.

So I'm turning 34 in November and refuse to grow up. I've been wanting to get a portable game system for a while and my birthday might be a good excuse. My iPod Touch has some games on it but I need something with real buttons. With a 14-month old child running around the house I really don't have time to fire up my Wii very often (it is a process thank to my uber-geek AV setup). So I'm thinking a DS would be perfect those few minutes I get now and then. I have been looking for racing games and I see a few that look interesting. I'm also looking at the New Super Mario Bros game as well. My friend has a DSi XL that seems like it was designed just for adults like me.

I'd like to wait for the 3DS but since Nintendo moved the release date to March 2011 I don't want to wait that long (nor pay $300).

Anyone else like me? I am actually looking forward to when my son starts playing video games so I will have an excuse to play as well.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/1/10 9:39 a.m.

I have a pair of em, and I love em. (Yes, two. and they're both pink. I buy all my Nintendo in pink). They're great for casual gaming, easy on batteries, and there's a TON of little niche titles out there that are worth your time. Check out New Super Mario Bros, the Professor Layton series, and Scribblenauts. Scribblenauts control is nearly broken, but the stuff you can do with that game is insane. Puzzle Quest is a great budget title, and if you're into micromanagement, look into Viva Pinata. They also have an excellent port of Super Mario Kart out there.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
10/1/10 11:39 a.m.

I have been thinking about picking up a new DS, my old one got lost and I still have about a dozen or so games for it (including Mario Kart). My girl friend has one that I use from time to time but it would be nice to have a second one so we can play some of the two player stuff and the like.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
10/1/10 11:54 a.m.

Scribblenauts blows my mind. You can do just about anything in that game. God vs Kracken? God wins. God vs Einstein? Einstein runs away.

xfactoraeg
xfactoraeg New Reader
10/1/10 11:57 a.m.

I got one after playing my son's and getting such a kick out of it. My mother loves hers as well and she was never tech savvy or into video games. I don't have big chunks of idle time so its nice to be able to pick it up and start playing without much drama. Lots of great games.

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
10/1/10 12:57 p.m.

They are great for puzzle and head scratcher games so i tend to steal my wifes every so often when i take a break from GT on PSP.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
10/1/10 2:13 p.m.

I have a DSi in white ,but have not used it very much lately. My son has a DS lite,and he plays it in spurts. Sometimes we have to tear him away from it,and other times it sits around collecting dust. I think it is mostly because he loses the games,and then sometimes can't find the charger. We have a nice case for everything but why would an 8 year old use that,right?

Chris

EricM
EricM Dork
10/1/10 2:27 p.m.

I have a DS, a PSP, a PS2, my N64, and an XBOX 360. Oh and we have a Wii.

I know, i know, I really should get a life.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/1/10 4:15 p.m.
EricM wrote: I have a DS, a PSP, a PS2, my N64, and an XBOX 360. Oh and we have a Wii. I know, i know, I really should get a life.

You're really gonna make me show how pathetic I am? Because the below list will make you feel better about yourself. Guaranteed.

3x Atari 2600 1x NES 1x SNES 1x Genesis 1x PS1 2x PS2 1x N64 2x Dreamcast 1x Gamecube 1x Wii 1x PS3 1x Xbox 360 2x DS 1x GBA SP 1x GBA 1x ASUS g73 laptop

And.... games? Somewhere in the hundreds. Yeah. I have NO life. The sad thing is I generally place stupid facebook games and crap on my cell phone. Whats even worse, is that list is missing about 1/2 dozen systems that have been stolen from me.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/1/10 6:06 p.m.

Still looking for a good racing game for the DS, aside from Mario Kart

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/1/10 7:18 p.m.

I have an advance SP...talk about grassroots gaming. It was 10 dollars at a garage sale with 20 games. For in depth gaming, I have the 360.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/10 8:37 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
EricM wrote: I have a DS, a PSP, a PS2, my N64, and an XBOX 360. Oh and we have a Wii. I know, i know, I really should get a life.
You're really gonna make me show how pathetic I am? Because the below list will make you feel better about yourself. Guaranteed. 3x Atari 2600 1x NES 1x SNES 1x Genesis 1x PS1 2x PS2 1x N64 2x Dreamcast 1x Gamecube 1x Wii 1x PS3 1x Xbox 360 2x DS 1x GBA SP 1x GBA 1x ASUS g73 laptop And.... games? Somewhere in the hundreds. Yeah. I have NO life. The sad thing is I generally place stupid facebook games and crap on my cell phone. Whats even worse, is that list is missing about 1/2 dozen systems that have been stolen from me.

I have:

1x Atari 130XL 1x Atari 800 1x SNES 1x N64 1x GG 1x Dreamcast 1x PS1 1x PS2 1x GBC 1x GBA 1x DS 1x Xbox 1x N900 (with the number of emulators on it, and the ability to hook up with a TV and a DS3 or Wiimote, it has to count) 1x Insane custom gaming PC

Seems to be less in number but definitely more in price with that gaming PC...

HenryAtMotorGrounds
HenryAtMotorGrounds New Reader
10/2/10 9:18 a.m.

If you're looking for a good handheld racing game, you might want to consider a PSP instead since it has Gran Turismo. You won't find anything even close to comparable for the DS.

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
10/2/10 9:24 a.m.
JtspellS wrote: They are great for puzzle and head scratcher games so i tend to steal my wifes every so often when i take a break from GT on PSP.

I agree enough to quote myself!

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
10/3/10 8:50 a.m.

I got a Neo Geo Pocket I can sell you :P

Taiden
Taiden Reader
10/3/10 9:44 a.m.
3Door4G wrote: I got a Neo Geo Pocket I can sell you :P

COLOR?!??!

failboat
failboat New Reader
10/3/10 4:54 p.m.

i tried my brothers ds a number of times, found that the buttons are too close and make my hands cramp up within 20 minutes. I guess it is not the XL model.

I have been very happy with my PSP, its nice that there are generally a lot of ports of many popular playstation games for it. Having the capability to convert videos (like tv shows) to an apropriate format to watch on the PSP is nice too.

Lots of driving game options, I think there are a few of the TOCA series, NFS series, Juiced series, I think there are a few DiRT games, Sega Rally, and of course Gran Turismo, which, while cool that it finally came out last year, its quite boring.

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
10/3/10 9:09 p.m.
Taiden wrote:
3Door4G wrote: I got a Neo Geo Pocket I can sell you :P
COLOR?!??!

Yep.

To anyone interested, yes, I am actually selling it, along with Metal Slug 2.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/3/10 10:14 p.m.

I have a DS Lite that I inherited when I bought the wife a DSi XL. If I played seriously, I'd pony up for an XL.

I like it for the puzzle games. I'm addicted to Picross 3D.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s322lArgI9noOxS8GMfbfovriU3aPXiAIN2IM6WyvQMQU17wCxfovhVpsNo3G0mL