1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/6/16 1:29 p.m.

I have an iPhone 5. Apple just forced an upgrade (after I refused it) to IS 10.0.2.

My phone is virtually unusable. It freezes with every few keystrokes, crashes apps, and now takes ridiculous numbers of keystrokes to get to most apps (which used to be in the dock)

When they asked me if I wanted to upgrade, I clicked "Not Now", and it did it anyway.

I'm totally pissed. I use this every day continuously in my work.

Ive been a loyal Apple user for multiple products for years. I liked the simplicity. This is pathetic.

If Apple doesn't fix this in about a week, I'm switching to Android.

DO NOT ACCEPT THIS UPGRADE. Try refusing the license agreement-maybe that will stop it. It's HORRIBLE.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/6/16 1:52 p.m.

I haven't done that one yet and don't plan to. Every time they release a new phone they coincidentally seem to release a new iOs version that makes the older models unusable so people have to buy a new phone.

I have a 5S. My wife did the update on hers but its a 6S plus and it works ok.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
10/6/16 2:06 p.m.

That sounds like my experience with Windows 10. Forced upgrades on older hardware really screws things up. Hopefully they'll be able to patch some things up for you.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/16 2:37 p.m.

The wife's iPhone 5 is fine after I turned a bunch of battery thieving junk off.

My iPhone 5S is also fine, if not a bit happier due to the faster processor.

Our iPad mini is also just fine.

Sounds like you need to wipe yours and restore it from scratch. That happens from time to time.

Also, saying not now tells them to do it later. You have to turn off the automatic update in settings to avoid that.

I can't tell you the number of times I've done a wipe and restore with my Android tablet.

Don't forget, these are hand held computers, built by humans with software written by humans. Stuff breaks and goes sideways from time to time.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/16 3:23 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Don't forget, these are hand held computers, built by humans with software written by humans. Stuff breaks and goes sideways from time to time.

Worse yet, they are locked-down artificially limited computers that don't allow many options for fixing software problems short of "wipe the whole thing clean and start from scratch."

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/16 3:27 p.m.

Designed obsolescence. Apple loves making things obsolete (e.g. floppy drive, CD drive, headphone jacks etc)

Even more frustrating is that there is NO way to roll it back. There is a rather technical way (at least there used to be) but it's not a guarantee.

I would suggest a wipe also, if you can. Just like a computer, best to just start over from new.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/16 3:30 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Worse yet, they are locked-down artificially limited computers that don't allow many options for fixing software problems short of "wipe the whole thing clean and start from scratch."

That not all bad of course. The ability to "fix software problems" also allows for others to "break" them.

Chromebooks effectively take the same approach, they even make it easy to wipe them:

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/16 3:39 p.m.

They were announcing the ban on the Galaxy Note 7 on my flight yesterday, so be careful which Android you go to. And if you think Google is a more benevolent overlord than Apple (or Microsoft or Blackberry) then prepare to be disappointed. There is no lesser evil, just different evil.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/6/16 4:01 p.m.

What better way to stimulate sales of new phones than to make old phones inoperable due to the OS "upgrade"?

daeman
daeman HalfDork
10/6/16 4:02 p.m.

Updates, not upgrades.... Big difference.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/6/16 4:13 p.m.

In reply to daeman:

I stand corrected.

For the record automatic updates were NOT turned on.

And regarding "Not Now"... There were 2 choices Would you like to update? "Yes", or "Not Now". No other choices.

I NEVER choose to update when releases are new.

Somebody want to talk me through wiping this thing? I have over 3500 contacts in it, and I am TOTALLY screwed if I make a mistake.

GRRRRR

daeman
daeman HalfDork
10/6/16 4:17 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Sorry mate, being facetious.

Tech is becoming increasingly annoying and frustrating.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/6/16 4:31 p.m.

Man, my wife (iPhone 5SE) and I (iPhone 6) are thrilled with the update. It even runs great on our old iPad (don't know the model, but it was the first Lightning port from about 4 years ago). Sorry to hear it hasn't been working out for you.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/6/16 4:39 p.m.

I'm sorry, sir. You don't get to make decisions about your life anymore. Please swallow the green pill, and relax.

And automatic speed control on windshield wipers don't work properly, either. Just let me do what I want to do...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
10/6/16 4:47 p.m.

Works fine on my 5s and my 6 (work phone).

I enjoy the sketch texts you can send. I haven't drawn this many dicks since high school.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/6/16 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

I almost quoted your post above and was going to do a FTFY, but it was too easy.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/16 6:25 p.m.

All my contacts are in Gmail and backed up to a spreadsheet quarterly. New device, just back login.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/16 6:43 p.m.
SVreX wrote: ...Somebody want to talk me through wiping this thing? I have over 3500 contacts in it, and I am TOTALLY screwed if I make a mistake.

Not sure I feel confident enough to talk you through it, but you SHOULD have those contacts backed up either way. Make sure iCloud backup is on (Settings - iCloud) by selecting Contacts in that area and whatever else you want backed up, note etc. (if you have a lot of photos, those could max it out though).

Not a bad idea to back up the phone on a computer as a fail safe. That will require iTunes (arg) on the computer and just plugging it in (backs up by default I am pretty sure).

Phone is wiped under Settings -General - Reset - Erase All Contents and Settings

All the apps can be re-downloaded from iTunes (under Purchased Apps) and iCloud will restore what it backed up.

It's pretty scary, but having the computer backup allows you to return it to it's previous state, just in case.

Make sure you know your iTunes (iCloud) password.

If you are super paranoid, you can go to an Apple store, they can probably do it for you (you will probably need an appointment). Bonus, it gives you someone to complain to...

jstand
jstand HalfDork
10/6/16 7:18 p.m.

Definitely do the iCloud backup of the contacts.

I upgraded from a 5s to a 7, and while I couldn't "restore" from my backup, I was able to get my contacts and notes back by toggling iCloud off and then on.

Google photos can be a good way to back up your photos. As long as you don't need super high res, I don't think there is a limit on the number of photos you can save.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
10/6/16 7:41 p.m.

I had some initial trouble with 10.0.2 until the various apps caught up with the iOS version. It's been running pretty well for the past week or so.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/16 8:14 p.m.

Back it up on your PC or Laptop using the charge cable in the USB port and the most recent copy of iTunes.

use iCloud to backup contacts, notes, favorites and other etc important data.

I also have my contacts synced automatically with Google using my google email account.

When you're sure you've got the data, choose restore to factory settings in iTunes.

Then restore the phone from backup and you'll have to re-enter account passwords as those aren't backed up.

Another option is to go to your nearest Apple Store. They can do it for you.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/16 6:27 a.m.

I think the "nearest" Apple Store is about 3 hrs away.

I also think my MacBook is too old to fun the most recent version of iTunes. (iTunes- there's another annoyance!)

Didn't realize I could back up Contacts to Google- how do I go about that (and how do I reverse the process and reinstall e contacts to the phone?)

I was kinda trying to avoid consolidating all my contacts to one overlord....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/16 6:47 a.m.

I had actually intentionally stopped using iCloud.

I take a LOT of pictures with my phone, mostly for work. Some of cars, kids etc.

My work requires I store and document the pics. I have a work computer, and a personal computer.

I download my work pictures to my work computer once a week. I have no desire to keep these personally, and they take up a lot of cloud space (a couple hundred pics per week).

As is, when I connect to my work computer, Photos identifies all of the new pics since the last backup. I highlight the work ones, and download them all off the phone. When I do the same thing withnmynoersonal computer, I highlight the personal pics and download them. It's a super easy way to segregate the two groups.

ICloud comingles them. It grabs all those work pics and consumes storage space. Then, the cleanup is a pain because they are all comingled together.

It's not JUST that I am a Luddite (I am), but also that I have a very nice simple system for segregating 2 groups of photos (business and personal), and would really rather not comingle them. iCloud complicates it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/16 6:49 a.m.

BTW, the app that crashes with the most consistency is Safari. Go figure.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/16 7:44 a.m.

All of this being said, and I feel your pain, the update has IMPROVED my iPhone 6S experience. Most everything works better and I have fewer issues with Safari (which I hate)

I'm still thinking Galaxy or Motorola next time though

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
O6oCSPJfvXKPrgwvLUt46SY2wTpPH2UKWC3WR91BcyBB602FOZiWkOeLm2M8cykE