1 2
Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/7/16 7:48 a.m.

Just call Apple support and have them walk you thru the backup/wipe/reinstall. You paid the premium for the device - may as well get something for it. Just make sure you know your apple id password before dialing or it will be the longest phone call of your life.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/7/16 7:54 a.m.

Dude you need to have your contacts backed up. You can easily choose to back up everything on the phone except the photos. Go into Settings > iCloud and there's a very clear set of switches setting which items are backed up. If you have 3500 contacts you need and they're not backed up somewhere you're insane. Turn on iCloud backup now and turn off photo backups. Simple 10 second operation. 30 seconds if you don't remember or don't have an iCloud password.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/7/16 7:56 a.m.

I'm on a 6 and I haven't done it yet. It seems to work well on wife's 6S.

Good luck.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/16 8:01 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

I didn't say my contacts are not backed up. I said they are not backed up on iCloud.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
10/7/16 9:56 a.m.

Is it broken compared to 9.x.x or 10.0.0/1?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/7/16 10:59 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to dculberson: I didn't say my contacts are not backed up. I said they are not backed up on iCloud.

Your words:

Somebody want to talk me through wiping this thing? I have over 3500 contacts in it, and I am TOTALLY screwed if I make a mistake.

If you have them on paper or in Outlook or some way that would take 40 hours to get them back onto a phone then you effectively don't have them backed up. 30 seconds and you can have them backed up. Just do it.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/7/16 5:29 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Works fine on my 5s and my 6 (work phone). I enjoy the sketch texts you can send. I haven't drawn this many dicks since high school.

RIGHT?! It isn't easy to draw with much detail...as a result, my wife and I primarily use it as a means of delivering crude illustrations of dicks. We love it.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
10/7/16 5:55 p.m.

Hey could be worse, my wife's iPhone 5C died a few days after the update. Dead dead. Blue screen dead. Local gadget repair guy who knows his ish took at a look the screw depth on the replacement screen, looked fine, he couldn't figure out.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/7/16 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

Well I just sent my wife a crudely drawn Dick. We'll see how she takes it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/16 8:05 a.m.

It's working fine on my iPhone SE. Battery life has been tremendous.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/13/16 9:12 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
SVreX wrote: In reply to dculberson: I didn't say my contacts are not backed up. I said they are not backed up on iCloud.
Your words:
Somebody want to talk me through wiping this thing? I have over 3500 contacts in it, and I am TOTALLY screwed if I make a mistake.
If you have them on paper or in Outlook or some way that would take 40 hours to get them back onto a phone then you effectively don't have them backed up. 30 seconds and you can have them backed up. Just do it.

It's backed up through the network provider, not iCloud. Also a secondary CSV file. I'm not a complete idiot.

Not really sure why it is so important for you to win this particular argument.

How bout we stick to the actual subject which is the IOS update 10.0.2 and how to properly reflash, not whether SVreX is a berkeleying moron.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/13/16 9:16 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I think the "nearest" Apple Store is about 3 hrs away.

My wife got the Verizon folks to make hers work again.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/13/16 9:16 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Dude, I'm not arguing. I'm trying to be helpful. You sure like to turn things into arguments.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/13/16 9:23 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: It's working fine on my iPhone SE. Battery life has been tremendous.

Another happy SE customer. And my work iPhone 6 sees to be happy enough.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/13/16 9:40 a.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to SVreX: Dude, I'm not arguing. I'm trying to be helpful. You sure like to turn things into arguments.

Excellent. I appreciate your help.

The next time I need to know about your dick pictures to your wife, or how stupid it would be for me to rely on paper backup systems, I'll be sure to ask.

trucke
trucke Dork
10/13/16 9:50 a.m.

No problems with my iPhone 5s. Working okay for about a week. Had to learn to punch home key instead of swiping to input my code. Behavioral changes are difficult.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/13/16 10:05 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
dculberson wrote: In reply to SVreX: Dude, I'm not arguing. I'm trying to be helpful. You sure like to turn things into arguments.
Excellent. I appreciate your help. The next time I need to know about your dick pictures to your wife, or how stupid it would be for me to rely on paper backup systems, I'll be sure to ask.

Jesus man, try not being an shiny happy person some time. Your comment was highly inappropriate. I'll be sure not to mention your family in crude messages if you return the favor, thanks.

What's going on with this forum today? First the Honda Fit battery thread and now SVreX has decided to go full YouTube commenter on us.

Edit: My bad - I forgot about my "dick" pick post. I'm sorry, I was caught up in the moment. I'm apparently contributing to the hostility. :-(

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/13/16 10:16 a.m.

Paul, you gotta take a step back. The way it read, dculbersons comment was absolutely appropriate and helpful. The "I'm completely screwed". And he is right--back that shiz up on icloud. It is 10 times easier than a CSV file.

And his crudely drawn dick pic was a dude. Named Dick. Take a joke.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/13/16 10:39 a.m.

My info is backed up. Through the service provider. As noted. Three times. It's a backup system that has functioned perfectly fine for me since long before iCloud existed.

I've used iCloud. I know how. I explained why iCloud doesn't work too good for me. No big deal, I am happy it works for others.

I fail to see how dick pics fall into the catagory of "absolutely appropriate and helpful", but I'll take your word for it.

So, everyone can trust me. My contacts are backed up in a manner I am completely confident in.

Still doesn't change the fact that my phone is locking up in native apps, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of a reflash. As recommended, I'll get Apple or Verizon to assist.

Thanks to those who have helped.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/16 11:15 a.m.

Locked.

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
lMey8as7dFy4cVXA6VNuMCu0lLiGZsiwMMfm8Fq1lYubnoXP1bqoJ0ypGcDwQTjZ