Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/29/18 9:36 p.m.

Jason Momoa was excellent as Aquaman. (Though I thought he was better written in League of Justice.)

Aquaman was not excellent as a movie. (It was OK, mostly.)

Discuss?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/29/18 10:17 p.m.

I was entertained for most of it. The boy loved it. My wife says he's not as hot as Jax Teller.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/29/18 10:27 p.m.

you know Momoa was the most annoying character for me on SG Atlantis but I got used to him so I don't think I'd hate this.  However I used to go to several movies a week but just stopped because most were not that enjoyable.  

now the movie Alita 'Battle Angel' looks crap but I'd maybe watch it.  I wish I could get back into movies but I can't even watch t.v. nowadays. indecision

If I was outside the theater with many hours to spend I'd watch it.  Heck can't be worse than the popcorn.  smiley

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/29/18 10:43 p.m.

I loved it, but

1. I have low expectations for all superhero movies 
  2. I am unapologetic of my terrible taste in movies
  3. +5 because I love ocean related stuff

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/29/18 11:00 p.m.

It was better than Justice League at least. I enjoyed it but my 8 yo son was bored with it  

Hopefully it will help right the direction of what Justice League 2 needs to be however that may not even happen if Affleck/Cavill does not return for their roles. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/30/18 12:00 a.m.

Well, there are Marvel super hero movies and DC super hero movies.  DC movies have a far lower bar.

DC hero’s seem to be fundamentally less interesting. I think some of it is they tend to be overly powerful.

I might see Aquaman,  not sure.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/30/18 7:09 a.m.

A young man I know that has two square body Chevrolet's mentioned on facebook that Aquaman drives a square body Chevrolet.

That's all I got.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/30/18 7:27 a.m.
aircooled said:

Well, there are Marvel super hero movies and DC super hero movies.  DC movies have a far lower bar.

DC hero’s seem to be fundamentally less interesting. I think some of it is they tend to be overly powerful.

I might see Aquaman,  not sure.

DC universe, I would agree.

I loved the Christopher Nolan Batman movies and would rank them above most, if not all, MCU movies.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
12/30/18 8:04 a.m.

DC makes better animated movies than marvel does. Marvel makes better live action movies.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/30/18 9:36 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
aircooled said:

DC universe, I would agree.

I loved the Christopher Nolan Batman movies and would rank them above most, if not all, MCU movies.

I disagree completely.  The more I watch the Nolan Batman movies, the less I like them.  Especially The Dark Knight Rises or whichever it is with Bane and the stupid "We're going to hold Manhatt... I mean, Gotham hostage for months with this explosive that is 'unstable' but we can slam it around in trucks and still predict to the second when it will explode" stuff.  I never really understood the plot of that movie at all, there are too many characters, and it is at least half an hour too long.

Grizz said:

DC makes better animated movies than Marvel does. Marvel makes better live action movies.

I've never seen any of the animated DC movies, but that is not an uncommon opinion.

When I actually read comic books, between the Big Two I mostly read DC and very little Marvel.  But the Marvel movies are infinitely better.  DC movies try for 'dark and brooding' but really what they hit is 'convoluted and pointless'.  Except every now and then they try to throw in some humor, which usually fails because it is usually either forced or completely over the top.

This version of Aquaman is more naturally written than usual for a DC character.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/30/18 10:20 a.m.

Wife and I saw it sans kids recently.  Enjoyable distraction.  She liked that Arthur character was kind of a f-up.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/18 10:33 a.m.

My issue with super hero movies is whenever there's a fight scene with massive collateral property damage I quietly think to myself "here at farmer's we've seen it, we've covered it, dum Dee da dum da dum" 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
12/30/18 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

The only really good Marvel animated movie I remember seeing recently was planet hulk, that was great. Marvel also killed any chances of it getting its own live movie by making it half of Thor Ragnarok.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/30/18 11:52 a.m.

I loved it. My only critique would be Black manta was rushed. He could have been a slow burn leading to the sequel. Otherwise the flow was good and the tone was consistent, unlike the “Snyderesque” battle at the end of WW. I was thrilled to see Dafoe and Lundgren.

I have plenty of MST3K jokes when I watch it later at home. Fett/Clone jokes about Tom Curry. Scientology with Atlanna. “Shark bate, oohaha” after any line from Dafoe. Chanting “Crab people” from South Park when the Brine are on. Not to mention any number of SGA and GoT references about Jason Mamoa. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/30/18 12:24 p.m.
Duke said:

I disagree completely.  The more I watch the Nolan Batman movies, the less I like them.  Especially The Dark Knight Rises or whichever it is with Bane and the stupid "We're going to hold Manhatt... I mean, Gotham hostage for months with this explosive that is 'unstable' but we can slam it around in trucks and still predict to the second when it will explode" stuff.  I never really understood the plot of that movie at all, there are too many characters, and it is at least half an hour too long.

I wont disagree with the Dark Knight Rises comments.  Still, I would put that above many of the MCU movies.  Some of them are borderline unwatchable.  Thor 2?  C'mon.   

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/30/18 1:41 p.m.

58 years old, grew up on DC comics.  I don't understand DC's inability to produce a decent Superman movie.  George Reeves was the last decent Superman...and No, I do not mean Christopher Reeve.  Batman has been done well several times.  Michael Keaton was way beyond expectation, and Bale was good.  Plot?  Its a superhero movie.  It doesn't have to make sense.  Green Lantern was totally a failure in writing.  Reynolds was a perfectly fine Hal Jordan.  Wonder Woman I have in the lineup, but I'm nervous whether they have ruined the character.  Aquaman raises the same concern.

Marvel makes pretty flashy movies, but my problem is this:  I go to movies, and I want closure.  The good guys win, the couple gets together, the sick person gets healed...  The teasers at the end of the movies showing that we are not done yet just piss me off.  Good actors in Marvel..Robert Downey getsa a pretty big Christmas gift every year from Marvel, I hope.  

I also have trouble with collateral damage.  It's stupid, but there is a lot of destruction done to innocent bystanders property in Marvel land, and I am concerned with rebuilding costs...

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/30/18 1:50 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Good actors in Marvel..Robert Downey gets a a pretty big Christmas gift every year from Marvel, I hope.  

I have read read he has made $250 million so far from Marvel movies plus an undisclosed percentage in profits in the last 10 years with them. He’ll probably finish out with them at $325 million + since Infinity Wars: Endgame is supposedly his last film with Marvel.   

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/18 2:46 p.m.
captdownshift said:

My issue with super hero movies is whenever there's a fight scene with massive collateral property damage I quietly think to myself "here at farmer's we've seen it, we've covered it, dum Dee da dum da dum" 

Marvel tackled this in 89:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/30/18 7:24 p.m.

The collateral damage thing is also the key plot point in the whole Civil War story arc. 

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
12/31/18 10:01 a.m.

I don't understand why the superheroes are blamed for all the damage.  It's like the various governments forgot there were villains wrecking stuff first.

Like Superman being blamed for destruction in Batman v Superman, everyone forgot about the aliens with giant machines exploding everything.

Age of Ultron was all Tony Stark's fault though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DnE7Bh32cOKhcZE4qMj7MO08ElGpGaeShU4QPB5uuGwUbnwwU6GNeXd3RgKfOeYN