1 2 3 4 5 6
yamaha
yamaha New Reader
2/24/11 9:15 a.m.

it seems the only dpms uppers on ar's in my local shops are all lacking forward assist, lacking dust shields, etc....

IDK if thats normal, but I've been seeing that alot out of them lately.

oops, I didn't clarify about the universal carbines, they would crack the slide on the top right side of the bolt on later ones that were "cutout" designed.....lol

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/24/11 9:29 a.m.

This is making me want to assemble my own. If I go slowly about it and spread the cost around over time...

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/24/11 9:38 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

yeah some of the lower price companies have started making "varmint" uppers, that don't have a lot of the military style stuff like the forward assist, dust shield and brass deflector, like this one:

mine isn't one of those though.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
2/24/11 11:47 a.m.

Yep my DPMS upper is like the one pictured above that does not have the forward assist or dust shield. I have no issues with this considering it basically was for a budget lightweight build. This upper combined with my PC lower makes for a very light accurate rifle that will be used for varmints.

RossD
RossD Dork
2/24/11 12:07 p.m.

No brass deflector? Does the casing whizz by your eyebrow/cheeck? My RRA leaves a small dent just below the necked down part on the .308 casing from the brass deflector. (At least I believe thats what's doing it...)

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/24/11 12:22 p.m.
RossD wrote: No brass deflector? Does the casing whizz by your eyebrow/cheeck? My RRA leaves a small dent just below the necked down part on the .308 casing from the brass deflector. (At least I believe thats what's doing it...)

only if you're shooting lefty i guess

RossD
RossD Dork
2/24/11 12:26 p.m.

Well, when my dad and I find a 'whitetail sized' upper as a replacement for the .223 upper, I'll make sure it has a brass deflector for my dad's sake.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/24/11 12:39 p.m.

the g/f has shot (only 2 rounds though) through mine and didn't get hit. the brass does still come out a bit rearward even with the deflector though....

i have heard good things about the 6.8 SPC round, very accurate and enough power for whitetails

RossD
RossD Dork
2/24/11 12:44 p.m.

Thats the exact round we are looking at...just gotta wait for tax returns, buy a car with better fuel economy than my f150 and still have money left for the upper.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
2/24/11 12:49 p.m.

Nope no issues with getting hit by brass at all. Oh and the fit between that upper and my PC lower is very tight and rock solid. Seems to be a favored combo of some of the varmint hunters.

EDIT: Here is a pic of mine in case anyone missed it in the hot rod thread. Plum Crazy composite lower, DPMS Sportical upper with pencil barrel. Total package weight is right at 5.5 lbs and is well balanced.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
2/24/11 9:56 p.m.

Cool, How do you like that plum lower?

Also, about the auto stuff, I know nobody here wants to build one, but the guy is talking like its so easy and dangerious... its not.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
2/25/11 8:35 a.m.

So far the Plum lower is great. I was kinda leary of the plastic trigger group but damn if it isn't one of the crispest stock triggers I have ever used. I have used 5.56 NATO in the setup with no issues. The other concern I had was the hammer (again plastic/composite) and it shows no signs of wear.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/25/11 10:57 a.m.

The original AR-15, as designed by Stoner, did not have a brass deflector, forward assist or ridges around the mag release.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
2/25/11 12:39 p.m.

I have been convinced. I will be building one. I talked to a friend that is a gun dealer last night. He has several types of lower receiver, stripped and otherwise, starting at about $125, I believe. I am considering building one that looks like the M-16 A-1.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/25/11 12:44 p.m.

You can get actual, real, genuine, COLT M16 A1 parts sets from Sportsmansguide.com and sarcoinc.com, I believe. Everything ready for a semi auto build except the stripped lower. Then it won't "look like" an M16 A1, it will be one, except for the semi auto only aspect.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/25/11 2:24 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: I have been convinced. I will be building one. I talked to a friend that is a gun dealer last night. He has several types of lower receiver, stripped and otherwise, starting at about $125, I believe. I am considering building one that looks like the M-16 A-1.

Same here. Actually I want to build 2, a classic style like you want, but with wood furniture. And also a light weight basic one, like rebelgtp's, but different sights.

Will
Will HalfDork
2/25/11 5:50 p.m.

Need some motivation for a build?

Will
Will HalfDork
2/26/11 6:43 a.m.

Magpul's PMags are great--I'd use them over USGI steel mags any day. I haven't tried any of the other brands, though.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/26/11 7:44 a.m.

The pmags are fine, not my preference though. I have all AR-stoner 20 round mags. Just don't really have a use for bigger mags and it'd be hard to get a lighter mag, even if it were plastic.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
2/27/11 10:39 a.m.

+1 for Magpul P-mags they are fantastic! anti tilt follower and they are built like tanks, doesn't matter they are plastic, they are stronger then the USGI mags by a wide margin. They also come with a ammo cover that clicks onto the bottom of the mag when in use.

Get some you won't regret it.

Chris Rummel

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
2/28/11 10:45 a.m.

Just be aware if you get a PC lower they don't tend to like PMAGs from what I havve read. I use all steel mags myself (5,20 and 30 rounds) and have no issues with any of them.

Interestingly it seems that there is a growing trend for the light weight basic AR builds and passing on all the bolt ons and extra rails etc. Later I will post a pic of mine with the iron sights mounted.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
4/1/11 10:47 a.m.

Just got my AR finished yesterday, so I thought I'd post a pic of it. The build went fairly easily with the exeption of the Pivot pin Detent. No joke, when you get your kit get the special tool that makes this easy, because without it you WILL launch that puppy into another dimention!

I ended up making the tool out of a piece of 1/4 inch rod stock, but if you aren't as good at fabrication, then definately get that tool. oh and the block that goes in the vice to hold the lower is also a good thing to have, just make sure you get it for $15 because there are some out there for ~$50 that do the same thing the cheaper one does.

Anyway heres my new AR

Chris Rummel

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/1/11 1:16 p.m.

How's it shoot? And where's the coffee maker attachment?

Will
Will HalfDork
4/1/11 5:22 p.m.
Rumnhammer wrote: Just got my AR finished yesterday, so I thought I'd post a pic of it. The build went fairly easily with the exeption of the Pivot pin Detent. No joke, when you get your kit get the special tool that makes this easy, because without it you WILL launch that puppy into another dimention! I ended up making the tool out of a piece of 1/4 inch rod stock, but if you aren't as good at fabrication, then definately get that tool. Chris Rummel

A 1/4-inch clevis pin works perfectly and costs under $1 at any good hardware store. I wish I had known that before I built any of mine.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
4/1/11 10:55 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: How's it shoot? And where's the coffee maker attachment?

Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, weather has not been good the last couple of days, I'm eager to shoot it though, and also my new Saiga 12 I just got as well!!

As for the coffee maker, I don't go for all the crap on my rifles, I like them nice and light. Unlike so many mall ninjas that load them up with stuff, I actually know what it is like to have to carry a rifle along with every thing else you need to carry on 20 mile road marches. I also like a rifle that handles and swings fast for better target acquisition.

Chris Rummel

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HPFTsTnmiUft36wFFuLMc41Y0AlUYfNj7nLCkI6YMO62MOYJrGlMr2wKWWmq9Sun