1 2 3 4 ... 6
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 9:05 a.m.

This is based off a 40x100 metal building. Current house is two offset squares put together, house 40x60 (roughly) and the garage 35wx25d and 9.5' ceilings. The metal I'd like to go 14' walls, false 8' ceilings in the "guest wing" and master bed/bath/closet. False Vault in the main area with a 14' peak. This would basically fall into a house within a house style, able to insulate the living structure better from the sun/elements. Sorry, I was getting tired and the wife asking a bajillion questions on why I did this and that and other things so its not as detailed as I normally like.

No description available.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
1/3/24 9:09 a.m.

I don't really expect cost savings up front, my question is does the maintenance labor work out to be less over a stick built house? How do they hold up over time?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
1/3/24 9:29 a.m.

The wife loves the Barndominium idea.  I am moderately on board but there are two things I don't like.  

• If your garage lights off you lose your house, and vice versa.  But I guess that could be said about any house with an attached garage.  
  • You end up only having a house with 1 or 2 exposures, at most 3, limiting your views and outside light.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 9:30 a.m.

In reply to dclafleur :

Whats appealing to us is the ability to have the outer structure completed, then work the inner structure etc. This gives us a place to be able to go to and make the transition a little smoother/slower. If they can handle the wild temp extremes up here (-25 to 100+) year after year, I would imagine they'll do as well if they can handle the winds of the occasional hurricane. cheeky

EDIT: then again, one of the ones up by us has been here for about 10-15 years on the flat lands and we see winds throughout the year gusting over 40-60mph when the storm surges roll in. That's seen about 10-15 times every year, sometimes its 90 outside, sometimes its -15. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/3/24 9:39 a.m.

Please don't take this as detracting you from your idea, but I'm only mentioning it because I was just discussing this with a very good friend of mine that lives down there and works in the Insurance industry-

Be absolutely sure you're getting homeowners quotes before you commit to anything.  Homeowners insurance in the state of Florida is difficult to secure on new policies, and is insanely expensive commensurate to other states.  Lots and lots of companies are pulling coverage options to the state, to the point now that the actual State of Florida is the leading policy issuer.  He forecasted rates will likely rise 30-40% over the next 5 years.  A 40x100 dwelling is not going to be cheap, I'd imagine.  I have a few friends paying small mortgages just for homeowners insurance in the Tampa area... 

So please just do due diligence on this aspect.  I could see myself totally overlooking it and being borked before a shovel even hits the ground. 

When hurricane Michael wiped out a large path through the Florida Panhandle three years ago the metal buildings had a very high survival rate from wind related damage.  Just saying.

Just a recommendation... you should have a walk through door going into the garage area from outside, so that you don't have to lift a big door to get into the garage from outside.  Easier, and saves on losing all the A/C in summer, or heat in winter.

Yes we heat in these parts of Florida.   Goes below freezing many nights.

My previous point about attached garages was if you are just using it as a car park, golf cart park, bicycle park, etc., i don't see an issue.  But, like many of us GRMers, if you are welding, painting, grinding, etc, I like the garage to be detached, and have separate A/C systems.   YMMV

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

This was mentioned to us by family down there at the time as well.  

walk through door on the far end and a small roll up for the mower on the opposite side. 

Another thought.   Many of the barndominiums I have been involved with build 9 foot ceilings in the living area, allowing a lot of storage, air handlers, hot water heaters, etc to be installed on the deck overhead.    I'm doing one currently that built the side walls high enough to even have a second story of living quarters upstairs...  thus saving on more concrete flooring, and metal roof.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 9:56 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

I am not sure why yall think im doing this half assed and half cocked with no idea what it's like down there. 

yes, it can be expensive. Yes it can be harder for insurance etc. we get that. That is why we are working with people that set this stuff up for a living. 

each property we find first goes through all my personal researching (costs, taxes, flood zones, elevation, surrounding properties etc). Once we find something we are pretty sure meets our needs we will have the realtor and builders see if it's suitable for the building we want, tax increases and insurance rates. If all of these check out then we will purchase the property this year.once we recoup the cost of that in the next 12-18 months then we move forward with building options. We will have the mortgage while the house is built and possibly another 24 months until we sell here and move. That then pays the mortgage for the new house and we go back to normal life with no payments. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/3/24 9:59 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to golfduke :

I am not sure why yall think im doing this half assed and half cocked with no idea what it's like down there. 

yes, it can be expensive. Yes it can be harder for insurance etc. we get that. That is why we are working with people that set this stuff up for a living. 

each property we find first goes through all my personal researching (costs, taxes, flood zones, elevation, surrounding properties etc). Once we find something we are pretty sure meets our needs we will have the realtor and builders see if it's suitable for the building we want, tax increases and insurance rates. If all of these check out then we will purchase the property this year.once we recoup the cost of that in the next 12-18 months then we move forward with building options. We will have the mortgage while the house is built and possibly another 24 months until we sell here and move. That then pays the mortgage for the new house and we go back to normal life with no payments. 

Apologies, I promise I didn't think you were half-assing it!  I simply am personally, well, dumb... and I wouldn't think of those things before it's too late, so I figured I'd mention it is all!  Happy to hear that you aren't as naive and reckless as I tend to be, haha. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 10:03 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

I'm not allowed to be.... Wife says so. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 10:05 a.m.

My current plan (before we see pricing of course) was 12-14'  exteriorwalls, 8-8.5' ceilings. That allows the "house in a house" idea with insulation, air handlers and a usable attic space. Plus the obvious room for a lift to fully get cars off the ground.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/3/24 10:05 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

The floor plan looks OK, although I would add a pass-thru of some type between the laundry area and the master bedroom closet.  Could be a simple as a 2'x2' door over a seating area in the closet.  

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/24 10:08 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I mean thanks for everyone trying to talk us out of what we want. It's always so refreshing.

Not to turn this thread downward, but this is one of my favorite things about the internet.

Here's the plan I decided on. 

"oh no! you should do this instead."

There is a reason it's called my plan, not yours.

Carry on. My wife and I are considering a barndo, but in TN. TN winter? A joke to us up here in NH.

Another experience.  Some North Florida counties do not allow sheds/barns/shops to be built on the land before the main house.  They are trying to prevent the owners from moving into the barn and never building the house.   This depends on how the land is zoned, and any covenents/deed restrictions created when the land was sub-divided.    I've run into this a few times.

Most i'm involved in are on large tracts zoned agriculture.

Buyer beware.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 10:11 a.m.

In reply to preach :

The problem for me and TN winters is it's only moderately better than where I am now. Our winters are mild mostly, there will be days in double negative digits and some snow but most of it is just 20-30* and gray and gloomy. I need more than that. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 10:12 a.m.

I'm limiting my search to be Rural or Agricultural where there are no limits on the structure type. I want some space. No... I NEED some space. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/24 10:23 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

My Gainesville land is in the county not the city and it's also zoned agricultural.  I'm still required to build the house first or both at the same time. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

But the barn IS the house! Chicken or egg county? Chicken or egg... 

Stampie and I are just sort of sending a warning.  Be prepared.   The county could hold up the CoO and you might not be able to get power turned on until residence is finished.   Speaking from experience....    Each county is different.

Living with extension cords from the temporary power pole can be a pain.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 11:32 a.m.

We aren't moving down until we are finished anyway. Sure maybe come down for a long weekend to check it out, see friends family etc until then but not living. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
1/3/24 11:44 a.m.

Congrats.  I love Florida.  When you say west central are you talking Tallahasse or Tampa? Just curious.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/3/24 12:04 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm offering the same caveat that Stampie and Purple Frog are offering.  Florida is terrific (and I have a house there), but the rules are MUCH different than they are in IN.

I know how important a rural lifestyle is to you and the freedom to not be bugged by government, and honestly FL is not that place.

I have been in construction for over 40 years, but I won't be building in FL (because of the regulations that are VERY limiting). I also have a place in AL (which is where I enjoy those freedoms)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/3/24 12:28 p.m.

It's possible to be in Metro Jacksonville, FL and still be in Georgia.  Could that maybe be the best of both worlds?

St.Marys, GA. 

Kingsville, GA

Daytrips to Roebling and The Firm

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/3/24 1:18 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

NO

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6YOqs4yXhdoGyScsFqucFlkK0Y6AVCGKfGmCnfZUepykjo8JjjHq06W7OdPy07R3