Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/13 1:39 p.m.

There are at least some other people into archery in the area:

http://insightarchery.com/

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
2/14/13 3:36 p.m.

I'm from Ithaca and live in the area. Southern NY region SCCA has 6-8 AutoX events during the Summer, most on BU campus, so you're set there. Glen Region events are 1-1.5 hours from you, as are Central NY region in Syracuse. You could race just about every weekend all Summer.

Watkins Glen isn't far, and the 6-hour Grand-am race is great.

Hiking/biking, I do a ton in the state forests all around the area. Look up Shindagin Hollow if you have a mountain bike.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/14/13 6:16 p.m.

This is sounding like a good place. Autox at the school, archery range nearby, a Five Guys burger place... sounds tempting.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/13 8:14 p.m.

it is a beautivul place. if it wasn't so far from work I could live there.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/14/13 8:54 p.m.

Now I think it's the waiting game to hear from other schools and definitely make a trip out to Birmingham to check it out for myself. How are apartments around there? Any with garages? I know this may be a bit specific but just in case anyone's been driving around there... House prices are awesome, especially compared to here, but so many have one car garages. I'd prefer, like, the maximum possible. The house is irrelevant (unless you talk to my wife!). I like how so many places have big yards, too

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/25/13 10:47 a.m.

Ok so I'm definitely moving to Binghamton now. Any additional advice?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/25/13 1:00 p.m.

Don't eat too many Spiedies or you'll get fat.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/25/13 1:26 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Ok so I'm definitely moving to Binghamton now. Any additional advice?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
4/25/13 1:29 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Ok so I'm definitely moving to Binghamton now. Any additional advice?

Plan on buying gas and smokes over the line in Pa.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
4/25/13 5:51 p.m.

Lots of good driving roads in NY and PA.

Oswego is a long ways away.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/25/13 6:00 p.m.

Stpr isn't far. Go or we'll ban you.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/26/13 7:39 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote:
Plan on buying gas and smokes over the line in Pa.

Why is that? Taxes?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
4/26/13 8:44 a.m.

yup. BTW buy your kanoo before you go. Susquehanna valley is greatarea for float trippin. I 81 corridor is very scenic north of Bingington.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
4/26/13 9:11 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: yup. BTW buy your kanoo before you go. Susquehanna valley is greatarea for float trippin. I 81 corridor is very scenic north of Bingington.

Yup. Thats the Tioughnioga and Chenango rivers (You'll get used to how to pronounce all the native names). Lots of fun! My summers are spent racing, biking, canoeing, hiking, etc. You'll only be bored if you choose to be. There's about 4-5 CNY people on the board now, hit us up if you need ideas.

gootenbeez
gootenbeez New Reader
4/26/13 11:52 a.m.

If it's anything like Syracuse then you can expect a lot of small local outfits around. We've got a million CSA options and local farms for great food, couple places doing custom roasts and stuff for coffee (don't ask me on this, still new to this coffee thing), beautiful scenery everywhere and a pretty laid back attitude. Seconding the beer, wine, cider, spirits deal. So many good breweries are in the area - give them a try if you're not super opposed. James covered you on car related goodness.

My boss (born and grew up there) says it's a bit more "economically depressed" than Syracuse, but not too dissimilar.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/26/13 5:29 p.m.

I've wanted to get back into biking. I have a road bike with me but I left a mountain bike at my parents house when I moved out. It might be time to go get it. I don't own any watercraft personally but it sounds like fun. I'm not likely to have a ton of free time but I want to enjoy the nature as much as possible.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
4/26/13 6:27 p.m.

My family has many aunts, uncles, and cousins in that area and my sisters travel to the Owego area weekly on business.

My sister used to live in Binghampton when she worked at a travel agency (since gone bust). Two things to bear in mind when looking for housing in that area:

1.) Housing prices MAY be less than what you are used to, but HEATING expenses in the winter can be horrendous. Be VERY sure that where you chose to live has good weathersealing on doors and windows.

2.)Someone suggesting, perhaps living as far out as Owego....that area has had several bad floods the last few years. Be it Binghampton, Endicott, Endwell, Owego, or wherever, ask potential new neighbors about flood damage in the last few years.

Taxes in N.Y. on some things are higher than they are in Pa. As someone here said, you will find yourself travelling over to Pa....OFTEN, for big, and not so big purchases. Example? Gasoline is expensive in Pa. but more expensive in N.Y.

Second the statement that you have lots of good roads in that area and Binghampton isn't too far from a few things of interest, like Cooperstown or Saratoga.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/26/13 8:05 p.m.

Binghamton? E36 M3.

Umm. Watkins glen is close.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
4/26/13 8:40 p.m.

http://www.psccny.com/

You will be smack dab inbetween these guys and fingerlakes... Great for Rallycross and Iceracing

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
5/19/13 12:12 p.m.

Not sure if/when you'll be in the area, but this looks promising, for Ithaca.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
5/19/13 12:16 p.m.

Ooo sweet. I probably won't be in the area for that, though. We're shooting more for early July, just finalizing some housing stuff now. I just drove there and back twice in the past week. once in my RX8 R3 which SUCKED. They did not design that well for a fat american to be in for 11 hours. Also I don't have a european car. I'd feel left out!

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
5/19/13 12:27 p.m.

I don't have a european car either, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to try to hock some SAAB soccerball wheels I have. Wankel was German = close enough.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
5/19/13 12:33 p.m.

haha yeah that's true there is the german connection. I'd certainly love to get my hands on a nice old NSU Ro80. Alas, I won't be in the area by then

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/19/13 10:07 p.m.

Good luck.

It looks like we might be trading places, I'm gunning to relocate to Chestnut Hill about the time your coming out here.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aggjamWTrhWBgWfPy7jWhGatSHZ9E92OK84rIlFeJ7QR6HGBlFQSjVUlQSZokvXA