1 2 3
Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
5/20/13 2:57 p.m.

neon, PM sent.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/19/13 6:57 p.m.

Ok so finally settled in sortof. I'm already sick of shoveling (who isn't?) and things are about to get crazy with a baby on the way but i want to get involved in this:

http://www.snyr-scca.org/

Anyone here in this area? They literally do autox in my favorite parking lot. Can't get much more convenient than that. Plus it has a surprising amount of elevation change, should make it more fun.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE New Reader
12/19/13 8:30 p.m.

All I know about upstate New York is people leave there and move to North Carolina. They then proceed to bash everything about NC and talk about how things were so much better back up in NY.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat Reader
12/19/13 8:32 p.m.

In reply to ScreaminE:

I hope they don't come back.

Edit: And Binghamton isn't upstate. It's within spitting distance of PA.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE New Reader
12/19/13 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Bumboclaat:

Whoops, didn't learn up on my geography. Didn't realize how close it is to the "other" side of PA.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/13 8:44 p.m.

I have no intentions of coming back, but I moved from the Albany area in the mid 90's. It wasn't a very great place to be at that time. Now there are like jobs and stuff. It's crazy.

I like NC just fine, though. My kids even have adorable little drawls, just like their mother.

Rufledt, there is no better way to find out what the deal is with those guys than to go and drive with them.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/19/13 9:03 p.m.

I plan on it, but they don't have any events posted on the site, probably because winter is a comin'. I was just hoping someone was on this forum, the site doesn't have its own forum.

Screamin- funny you mention that, we got our house from a couple that moved to North Carolina! I've never been there so I don't know how great/bad it is compared to NY, where I haven't lived long enough to judge, but I certainly wouldn't mind a little less road salt. I mean, if I could drive a cool older car (that I don't have) year round without it turning to swiss cheese from rust, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, this is literally the farthest south I've ever lived.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/19/13 9:32 p.m.

Just discovered they have a link to the GRM homepage on their site so I'm hoping one of them is on this forum...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
12/19/13 10:14 p.m.

Anything ouside of Whiteplains is considered Upstate.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/13 10:46 p.m.

You are certainly upstate. When I moved I ended up 80 miles from Manhattan which most of my family thinks is minutes from Canada

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/19/13 10:51 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

I googled your location, and If you hadn't said 80 miles from manhattan I would've guessed you were minutes away from the city!

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
12/20/13 9:26 a.m.

I consider upstate as north of the Mohawk river/Erie Canal.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/13 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Some days 80 miles is still to close.

It's relative to where you are, and something people will argue over. For some reason noone wants to live upstate. My inlaws in Albany consider anything north of Lake George to be upstate while my parents think it starts in the Bronx.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/20/13 2:00 p.m.

To me, upstate starts when there are no longer commuter trains running into NYC.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
12/20/13 10:11 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Ok so finally settled in sortof. I'm already sick of shoveling (who isn't?) and things are about to get crazy with a baby on the way but i want to get involved in this: http://www.snyr-scca.org/ Anyone here in this area? They literally do autox in my favorite parking lot. Can't get much more convenient than that. Plus it has a surprising amount of elevation change, should make it more fun.

I have run with them once or twice, super friendly. If your talking about the lot at the university, I agree, lots of elevation change!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9U6fcx5a3Cu6EJTO2GqCMor5dyH8HauAZTf1pzHQUauNOqKjmO1gxNmauimgrP0V