4/20/12 10:40 a.m.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
4/20/12 10:42 a.m.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/12 10:49 a.m.
fromeast2west wrote:

Someone knows his quality movies! Great soundtrack, though. And yes, that's baby Angelina.

You know they're badass, because they rollerblade around the city and hack from phone booths via full VR through acoustic modems.

Turing never got to rollerblade, but he was one of the baddest hackers around. You could say he was the bombe.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/20/12 11:17 a.m.

^^^ we used to make fun of that film at defcon

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
4/20/12 11:21 a.m.

I always think of Hackers being to hacking what Cannon Ball Run is to auto racing. It doesn't make them any less fun to watch.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
4/20/12 11:44 a.m.
Keith wrote: Turing never got to rollerblade, but he was one of the baddest hackers around. You could say he was the bombe.

Read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

Turing was berkeleyed over by his own people because he was gay. He committed suicide. Sad story.

edit: He was not in prison when he committed suicide. I thought he was.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
4/20/12 12:04 p.m.

he stole the machine from the polish. True story.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/20/12 1:25 p.m.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/20/12 1:47 p.m.
BradLTL wrote:
BradLTL wrote:
Almost...

I believe many of us have posted the same picture.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/12 1:56 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
BradLTL wrote:
BradLTL wrote:
Almost...

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/20/12 2:03 p.m.

We used to use a paper punch to floppy disks to double sided ones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flippy_disk

Keith
4/20/12 3:04 p.m.
EricM wrote: he stole the machine from the polish. True story.

Umm, oversimplified story. The Polish did initially break Enigma (as they were a little more motivated to do so before 1939), and worked with the Brits to continue to break new variants and automate the process. The machine certainly wasn't stolen, although it was originally designed by the Poles.

Cryptonomicon rocks, and got me going on a big binge of Enigma and crypto reading The codebreaking effort in WWII was astounding, as were the efforts of the codemakers.

One of the results of a Google Image search for Cryptonomicon. I cannot explain, but I do appreciate.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/20/12 3:12 p.m.

From the results of the same search as above:

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/20/12 3:30 p.m.

Page 1338? We need an ancient, once thought extinct primitive fish: Coelacanth

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/12 3:49 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
BradLTL wrote:
BradLTL wrote:
Almost...

That why I used that picture.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
4/20/12 4:18 p.m.
Keith wrote: One of the results of a Google Image search for Cryptonomicon. I cannot explain, but I do appreciate.

These too

racerfink
racerfink Dork
4/20/12 5:05 p.m.

Long ago ad on BAT http://bringatrailer.com/2007/10/27/rare-in-the-usa-1962-gsm-flamingo-vintage-racer/

I Am Keyser Söze
I Am Keyser Söze SuperDork
4/20/12 5:45 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/20/12 6:42 p.m.
Keith wrote: One of the results of a Google Image search for Cryptonomicon. I cannot explain, but I do appreciate.

I'll give you a possible explanation.

The book cryptonomicon is popular with cypherpunk types, a group that contains many of the users of OpenBSD, a unix variant that was designed with security as the PRIMARY goal. Back when the rest of the unix world was using DES for password encryption, the guys from OpenBSD decided to use Bruce Schneier's much safer blowfish encryption algorithm even though doing so would reduce interoperability with other unix machines. Soon after, they began using puffy the blowfish as a logo for their operating system.

[full disclosure: back when I used to work in comp. security, I kept a plastic puffer fish in my cubicle for that very reason]

EricM
EricM SuperDork
4/20/12 6:45 p.m.
Keith wrote:
EricM wrote: he stole the machine from the polish. True story.
Umm, oversimplified story. The Polish did initially break Enigma (as they were a little more motivated to do so before 1939), and worked with the Brits to continue to break new variants and automate the process. The machine certainly wasn't stolen, although it was originally designed by the Poles. Cryptonomicon rocks, and got me going on a big binge of Enigma and crypto reading The codebreaking effort in WWII was astounding, as were the efforts of the codemakers. One of the results of a Google Image search for Cryptonomicon. I cannot explain, but I do appreciate.

I currently have my CISSP, and have previously worked for the government in ways I can not publicly discuss. I too am fascinated by, work in and with crypyology. I just wrote a proposal to the university of Illinois suggesting a digital archive method based on some of the cryptology methods. Only this time it would be to make data readily available rather than to hide it. It would be for a PhD program.

No hot link so every one has to drink.

Keith
4/20/12 6:48 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
I'll give you a possible explanation. The book cryptonomicon is popular with cypherpunk types, a group that contains many of the users of OpenBSD, a unix variant that was designed with security as the PRIMARY goal. Back when the rest of the unix world was using DES for password encryption, the guys from OpenBSD decided to use Bruce Schneier's much safer blowfish encryption algorithm even though doing so would reduce interoperability with other unix machines. Soon after, they began using puffy the blowfish as a logo for their operating system. [full disclosure: back when I used to work in comp. security, I kept a plastic puffer fish in my cubicle for that very reason]

Of course, I should have made the connection.

Now, explain the one that MG Bryan pulled up - reposting for awesomeness.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/20/12 6:52 p.m.

I have absolutely no clue what the berkeley you guys are talking about. I DO know, however, that if you throw puffer waaaaay up in the air, he'll stay "puffed" until just before he hits the water.

1 ... 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 ... 4726

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tvv0WGU8EICfTZKybfMAFDVNxpybQT4D4QSsH71vcdgguORoVHLkw6CkYh7iyyui