1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/15 11:11 a.m.

I have an idea for an aircraft design that would be awesome for a delivery drone. It's pretty simple but nobody has done it yet. It would be in the news if someone did. Recently a much inferior design with the same goal was.

Can you patent the shape of an aircraft, like general wing & engine layout? Let's say, something as general as the Osprey's tiltrotor layout. If it hadn't been done before, could I patent an Osprey?

It would be easily worth the new-car price of a patent if I could.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/24/15 11:51 a.m.

I'm not sure you can. There was a big war between the Wrights and Curtis about 100 years ago over this sort of thing.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
3/24/15 12:16 p.m.

You could patent certain key aspects of the design like an Osprey's tilt-wing mechanism for instance. Figure out what makes your drone unique, then patent those aspects. If it's the shape you might be able to patent it's use as a lifting body or perhaps the shape allows more payload.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/24/15 12:23 p.m.

If it performs a function that is not addressed by existing technology, there is most likely a way to patent it.

"An apparatus for foiling mid-air collisions using a novel air foil design" might be the patent title.

Always best to start the patent from the claims side:

What is claimed is a method of avoiding mid-air collision of aircraft using: a red hot pepper A hysterical stewardress an inflatable pilot ect ect ect.

The apparatus of claim one, only with a green pepper

and so on...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/15 12:23 p.m.

Apple thinks you can patent a rectangle, so I have no idea....

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 12:45 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: You could patent certain key aspects of the design like an Osprey's tilt-wing mechanism for instance. Figure out what makes your drone unique, then patent those aspects. If it's the shape you might be able to patent it's use as a lifting body or perhaps the shape allows more payload.

Well here's the tricky part, mechanically there's nothing new about my idea - just like the Osprey's tilt-wing mechanism in fact. The motor and wing layout is what makes it unique and where the innovation is - much like the Osprey again.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/24/15 12:49 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Jerry From LA wrote: You could patent certain key aspects of the design like an Osprey's tilt-wing mechanism for instance. Figure out what makes your drone unique, then patent those aspects. If it's the shape you might be able to patent it's use as a lifting body or perhaps the shape allows more payload.
Well here's the tricky part, mechanically there's nothing new about my idea - just like the Osprey's tilt-wing mechanism in fact. The motor and wing layout is what makes it unique and where the innovation is - much like the Osprey again.

I can tell you with almost 99% certifiably that what you are thinking is not unique. Airfoil and platform designs have not had a major breakthrough in who knows how long that would warrant a patent. The laws of physics are a harsh and consistent mistress and we tried some wacky stuff between WWI and WWII that is not public knowledge.

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 12:52 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: I can tell you with almost 99% certifiably that what you are thinking is not unique. Airfoil and platform designs have not had a major breakthrough in who knows how long that would warrant a patent. The laws of physics are a harsh and consistent mistress and we tried some wacky stuff between WWI and WWII that is not public knowledge.

I dunno, I've seen A LOT of planes...I mean close to all of them. I especially like the wacky ones.

It's possible someone else thought of it but didn't try it on a plane big enough to carry a person, it's one of those things that only makes sense at certain power-to-weight ratios (again, like the Osprey)

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 12:56 p.m.

Actually I did see a US military concept that had a similar...design philosophy in attempting to reach the same goal, but mine would look very different and would be far safer and more efficient.

Edit: Also saw a custom RC that is similar in look and concept but had a hilariously wasteful design and lacked the safety advantages.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/24/15 1:00 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Actually I did see a US military concept that had a similar...design philosophy in attempting to reach the same goal, but mine would look very different and would be far safer and more efficient.

How do you know it would be far safer and more efficient?

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 1:01 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Actually I did see a US military concept that had a similar...design philosophy in attempting to reach the same goal, but mine would look very different and would be far safer and more efficient.
How do you know it would be far safer and more efficient?

You'll have to trust me for now...but I'm really really sure

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/24/15 1:04 p.m.

I can't wait to see your next wild idea that you do nothing with.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/24/15 1:05 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

That wouldn't be an acceptable answer IMHO for a patent office.

Then again, they seem to allow patent trolls through anyways. My only question is, would this idea actually go somewhere or are you just trying to be a dickhead patent troll?

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 1:08 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Then again, they seem to allow patent trolls through anyways. My only question is, would this idea actually go somewhere or are you just trying to be a dickhead patent troll?

Who said it can't be both?

But yes my idea is totally awesome. I think I'll sketch it up and upload the encrypted sketch in case someone invents it before me.

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 1:10 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I can't wait to see your next wild idea that you do nothing with.

Hey man, I got like, a rock and a stick here, I can only do so much

Actually I could build an RC prototype for a few hundred bucks.

Edit: BTW nobody's invented my secret piece of office equipment yet but a related industry is really taking off now so it might not be long...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/24/15 1:18 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Well here's the tricky part, mechanically there's nothing new about my idea - just like the Osprey's tilt-wing mechanism in fact. The motor and wing layout is what makes it unique and where the innovation is - much like the Osprey again.

If this is a unique design that gives a functional advantage, it is patentable. The main thing is you need to make sure of both points, that it is truly unique as well as an advantage.

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 1:20 p.m.

Woohoo yes, that sounds good! That's a big yes on both counts.

GameboyRMH
3/24/15 6:59 p.m.

Alright guys, grab yourselves a copy of this, for later:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=67549225866981742816

GameboyRMH
4/8/15 10:44 a.m.

A couple of updates: First, I realized that a concept from one of the plane-building megacorps is so close to this design, they'd kick themselves to death for not realizing they could've turned their concept into something completely different and way more awesome with just a small change. Next, early next week I'm going to release an encrypted file for a high-performance version of the same design. This one will be less efficient but have the capability for far more thrust and far greater maneuverability.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
4/8/15 12:10 p.m.

The US used to use a first to invent rule on patents, but it's now first to file. You probably ought to be getting to work sending the unencrypted version to the USPTO...

GameboyRMH
4/10/15 7:56 a.m.

Hey I came up with a good use for the high-performance version. It would make a great "personal fighter drone" for air combat against drones like these:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/10/indian_cops_spice_up_protests_with_pepper_sprayequipped_drones/

The best weapon to use against another drone? The tiny net of course!

Seriously, they're cheap and fairly safe and a drone could carry many. Just lower it from below and drop it over the offending drone for maximum prop entanglement. This will only work until spherical prop-guards become common though.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
4/10/15 11:35 a.m.

Your net idea has already been addressed in at least three different versions of drones for use around people and for entry into collapsed buildings.

GameboyRMH
4/10/15 11:45 a.m.

Yeah I admitted that it wouldn't work against spherical prop guards...maybe for those types, the best idea would be to drape a large thin metallic sheet over it (like a "space blanket"). This would mess up the aerodynamics of the target (covering the spherical prop guard(s), no air in = no air out), blind any onboard cameras, and block any radio traffic to the drone.

GameboyRMH
5/2/15 9:46 a.m.

NASA's on the right track, but no cigar yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXql26sF5uc

Haven't had time to put together the high-performance model sketch yet.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/2/15 3:45 p.m.

Can't tell you much about planes, but I will say something about patents. Get the absolute best lawyer you can find with the most experience. Writing patents is almost a black art. We have many patents here at work, and the early ones are easily picked off. It wasn't until we spent a lot of money for a proper DC patent lawyer that they end up enforceable. There is definitely a right way and a wrong way to write them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3fP5WDNgLR8MAF5d341rWByIu6MJ9XZOUEnmC6xh3uO1xRcIPaPak1xZb3ZZekLo