I've got your back, GPS.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/29/12 2:21 p.m.

berkeley, no kazoo?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/12 2:27 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: I literally started to drift off while reading that and I love zombies (the concept, not like an actual zombie)

Important stuff based on the mathematical models.

Boring paper said: An outbreak of zombies infecting humans is likely to be disastrous, unless extremely aggressive tactics are employed against the undead. While aggressive quarantine may eradicate the infection, this is unlikely to happen in practice. A cure would only result in some humans surviving the outbreak, although they will still coexist with zombies. Only sufficiently frequent attacks, with increasing force, will result in eradication, assuming the available resources can be mustered in time. Furthermore, these results assumed that the timescale of the outbreak was short, so that the natural birth and death rates could be ignored. If the timescale of the outbreak increases, then the result is the doomsday scenario: an outbreak of zombies will result in the collapse of civilisation, with every human infected, or dead. This is because human births and deaths will provide the undead with a limitless supply of new bodies to infect, resurrect and convert. Thus, if zombies arrive, we must act quickly and decisively to eradicate them before they eradicate us.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/29/12 2:31 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Nice! The sound of a zombie getting wanged with that would be sweet.

I don't think 'wanged' means what you think it does.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/29/12 2:39 p.m.
andrave wrote: Zombies are notoriously hard to kill. Some are even headless.

I've never seen anything anywhere that says anything but KILL THE HEAD.

And SWMBO can attest that I do a lot of reading about such things.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
11/29/12 2:55 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

I see your banjo and raise

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/12 3:05 p.m.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/29/12 3:23 p.m.

ammo would be somewhat prohibitive though, no?

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/29/12 3:29 p.m.
andrave wrote: ammo would be somewhat prohibitive though, no?

For the rocket propelled chainsaw, probably......for most firearms, probably not. Considering I'd bet 70% of households in this country have firarms, and normally not just one. The living would have to be scavengers to a new point.

BARNCA
BARNCA Dork
11/29/12 3:33 p.m.

my 12 gauge and the glock should cover us pretty well.

11/29/12 3:48 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
For the rocket propelled chainsaw, probably......for most firearms, probably not. Considering I'd bet 70% of households in this country have firarms, and normally not just one. The living would have to be scavengers to a new point.

Depends... I pay $340 / 1000 for .40 S&W so I don't keep more than a case around and often split it with a couple people to make plinking affordable. I can blow thru 500 rounds at the range on a saturday. If the outbreak happens on Sunday, I'm berkeleyed. So are all you asshats with ARs and shotguns. Go count how long you ammo pile will last. If you aren't on an FBI watch list - you aren't buying enough.

My banjo never runs out of ammo.

11/29/12 3:49 p.m.
Woody wrote:

I wonder if you can get those with weedwhackers in them

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
11/29/12 3:50 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Depends... I pay $340 / 1000 for .40 S&W so I don't keep more than a case around and often split it with a couple people to make plinking affordable. I can blow thru 500 rounds at the range on a saturday. If the outbreak happens on Sunday, I'm berkeleyed. So are all you asshats with ARs and shotguns. Go count how long you ammo pile will last. If you aren't on an FBI watch list - you aren't buying enough. My banjo never runs out of ammo.

That's why you buy smaller amounts more often. I tend to buy the 100rd boxes from wally world for $38 here and there for the .45 randomly. A little here, a little there and before you know it I have 800rds sitting in a 7.62 ammo can in hte closet.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/12 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

You only need enough ammo to get to a store with ammo really. Also one of these would be handy.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
11/29/12 3:53 p.m.

If we're worried about ammo (Clearly, with a ghostbuster's Proton Pack I'm not) two handed backup can come in handy.

11/29/12 3:55 p.m.

Actually - I do have a pair of ice axes for climbing. That would make for a sweet backup if the banjo is taking damage.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
11/29/12 3:57 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

I dunno about you, but I wouldn't want to go anywhere near a store with ammo or even supplies. If I ain't got it when the E36M3 hits the fan, I'm doing without. If the store's free of zeds, it probably won't be free of survivors who could give me lead poisoning out of panic or desire to have my supplies (or keep me from having theirs).

I'm going rural, low key, as fast as I can while staying cross country or at least on back roads. Melee weapons (bat, axe, shovel) until things get real ugly, then short-barrel 12 gauge pump, handguns, Mosin if I've got some range.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/12 4:01 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas:

I figure some of the stores out in BFE Alabama will be fairly empty. I am not going to stay around a town the size of Huntsville plus I am not firing unless I really have to.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
11/29/12 4:07 p.m.
andrave wrote: berkeley, no kazoo?

You rang? My answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCcyQ2X9dg

I'm just plannin' to cut them off at the knees and run. But I'd probably tote the Mossberg 500 to thin the heard a little first.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
11/29/12 4:11 p.m.

I've been thinking, realistically, your only surefire survival method is to already be in the middle of the desert(they dry up) or somewhere with permafrost(they freeze) with a 1 mile line of sight and a castle full of food, water, and long range weaponry. Any other situation is asking for a containment breach if you hole up or getting overrun if you move around.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/29/12 4:25 p.m.

M1 garand retrofitted with a scope, powerful, accurate, durable, reliable

Beretta M9/92FS, reliable, simple, 18 round capacity

FN PS90, 50 round magazines of greatness

Shotgun of some sort

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
11/29/12 4:32 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Nice! The sound of a zombie getting wanged with that would be sweet.

Like you wouldn't "wang" zombie Mila Kunis.

11/29/12 4:38 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Like you wouldn't "wang" zombie Mila Kunis.

Sweet jesus! Zombie Mila... It is like a bonus over healthy Mila because there isn't all the anxiety over cleaning the van or getting rid of the body like I would normally have.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/12 4:39 p.m.

Actually I am kinda rethinking my decision. Gas is going to run out and I don't want to be carrying a bunch of guns and if possible I want to stay away from the zombies rather then engaging them. So I am thinking an AK47 for if I really have to use a gun and a suppressed small caliber pistol.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/29/12 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

You are a sick sick man.

Also someone never watch Quick Draw McGraw as a kid...

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QKCYLDxbA5di5U0qjBkiWZdZnpBCdtYL9aL82Y7rtGaWcuxhQpDC3xak0NZAovQn