1 2 3
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/10/15 1:13 a.m.

Maybe... the searing burner is placed way closer to the meat, though. I don't know if using a skillet the same distance as normal would really have the same effect.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/15 8:21 a.m.

My dad and my brother both have that Kenmore with the searing burner. They work fine.

My dad uses it for deep frying stuff. It works.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/10/15 8:39 a.m.

Be careful keeping a gas tank inside a garage - it is not recommended. I stopped using the white "fuzzy" lined black vinyl cover in the winter when the local field mice climbed inside and lived in my grill all winter but they were however tasty the first grilling we had.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
5/10/15 8:44 a.m.

If you can find an old Weber gas grill for cheap, you can replace pretty much anything in them, the parts are easily available.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/10/15 8:55 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Be careful keeping a gas tank inside a garage - it is not recommended. I stopped using the white "fuzzy" lined black vinyl cover in the winter when the local field mice climbed inside and lived in my grill all winter but they were however tasty the first grilling we had.

Lol! Good tip!

Grill lives on the deck though. Garage is full of broken cars.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
5/10/15 9:27 a.m.

I'm a charcoal guy, so maybe no help. I gave up on the gigantic charcoal grills with side boxes and etc about three years ago and bought a Weber Kettle. Best decision I ever made. It sits outside with no cover and its still in near-new condition.

If you want to sear (and you absolutely do) you have to have flame touch meat. Once I get a nice bed o coals, maybe 20 minutes, I throw a smaller size replacement grate right down sitting on the coals. Grill steaks there. Amazing.

If I'm doing chicken or roasts or something I use the original grate which puts more space between fire and food.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
5/10/15 9:46 a.m.
secretariata wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: The Kenmore unit i found with the searing burner seems to be well-reviewed as well, and the grill sites seem to like a searing burner as the best "gizzmo" a gas grill can have. Seems i have a decision to make between getting the combo, or getting the Kenmore w/ searing burner now, and keeping an eye out for a classic Weber charcoal deal for lazy weekend grill and beer time.
Can't you imitate the searing burner with a cast iron skillet or griddle on the grill?

Propane torch?

freestyle
freestyle Reader
5/10/15 10:35 a.m.
slowride wrote: If you can find an old Weber gas grill for cheap, you can replace pretty much anything in them, the parts are easily available.

^this

After several stainless big box propane grills that fell apart, I found a low mileage 3 banner from an older gentleman. Well designed and built. At one point, I had a free CL parts one.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/10/15 10:59 a.m.

I bought a Walmart uni flame 3 years ago. It works. I keep it covered. Nothing special

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/10/15 12:42 p.m.
freestyle wrote:
slowride wrote: If you can find an old Weber gas grill for cheap, you can replace pretty much anything in them, the parts are easily available.
^this After several stainless big box propane grills that fell apart, I found a low mileage 3 banner from an older gentleman. Well designed and built. At one point, I had a free CL parts one.

I was going to just drop in and say the same thing as slowride. I really wanted an older one with the teak side table but all the ones i came across on CL were in poor condition or overpriced.

After a few months of looking and waiting we had a gift card burning a hole in our pocket and bought the most modestly priced new Weber Spirit 2 burner grill available at Lowes. Yeah its $400. You can look at all the other brands and buy twice as much grill if you compare features, but this grill has been fantastic. It doesnt have a fancy searing burner but I have no problems searing all the things on the cast iron grates. I grill a lot more than I used to when all we had was a weber performer charcoal grill. No waiting 20+ minutes for the grill to get up to temp, virtually no cleanup.

Charcoal has its place but to say it doesn't take any more time or effort than using a gas grill is silly.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
5/10/15 2:10 p.m.
failboat wrote:
freestyle wrote:
^this After several stainless big box propane grills that fell apart, I found a low mileage 3 banner from an older gentleman. Well designed and built. At one point, I had a free CL parts one.
I was going to just drop in and say the same thing as slowride. I really wanted an older one with the teak side table but all the ones i came across on CL were in poor condition or overpriced. After a few months of looking and waiting we had a gift card burning a hole in our pocket and bought the most modestly priced new Weber Spirit 2 burner grill available at Lowes. Yeah its $400. You can look at all the other brands and buy twice as much grill if you compare features, but this grill has been fantastic. It doesnt have a fancy searing burner but I have no problems searing all the things on the cast iron grates. I grill a lot more than I used to when all we had was a weber performer charcoal grill. No waiting 20+ minutes for the grill to get up to temp, virtually no cleanup. Charcoal has its place but to say it doesn't take any more time or effort than using a gas grill is silly.

I'll +1 this. Find a Weber on clist for $25-75 and rebuild it. Some parts will be under warranty. I bound a 2 year old weber spirit, got some new innards and it will probably last my 15 years. Did the same thing for my sister...hers was older, I think 2005. Her original iron grates are MUCH nicer than the replacements I got from Weber. Those could be handed down to her kids!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/10/15 2:11 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I expected nothing less from you.

I aim to please.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/10/15 2:34 p.m.

The Weber aspect is intriguing i must admit. Timing sucks, unfortunately, and from what i'm seeing replacement parts are absurdly expensive.

This one looks nice.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/4962598238.html

But if it needs anything, i've blown the budget in a HUGE way. Grates are $130 each, bars are $162.

Nice grill is nice, but my biggest want is something merely to get me through until we buy our own place, then i'll drop real money on something. I realize that buying a cheap Kenmore is definitely not going to last as long, and maybe i won't be able to get parts, but i can buy two Kenmores every time i need to rebuild the Weber. Wasteful? Possibly. Easy button so i can cook the week's lunches tonite? Yeah.

I sent an email on that Summit anyways.

I believe that's... an old Summit 450? Any input on that particular one?

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
5/10/15 2:37 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Backyard-Grill-667-sq-in-Gas-Charcoal-Grill/31897842 Well... Just how terrible do we think this would be?

For what you're looking for, seems like a nice deal. Keep it covered, and use it alot to keep spiders out of the lines.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
5/10/15 3:21 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: The Weber aspect is intriguing i must admit. Timing sucks, unfortunately, and from what i'm seeing replacement parts are absurdly expensive. This one looks nice. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/4962598238.html But if it needs anything, i've blown the budget in a HUGE way. Grates are $130 each, bars are $162. Nice grill is nice, but my biggest want is something merely to get me through until we buy our own place, then i'll drop real money on something. I realize that buying a cheap Kenmore is definitely not going to last as long, and maybe i won't be able to get parts, but i can buy two Kenmores every time i need to rebuild the Weber. Wasteful? Possibly. Easy button so i can cook the week's lunches tonite? Yeah. I sent an email on that Summit anyways. I believe that's... an old Summit 450? Any input on that particular one?

Then don't get a Summit! The old Genesis/Spirit have identical fireboxes and if you need new grates they are anywhere from $40-$70. I just bought 3 sets of stainless steel grates for the genesis for $19 each at home depot. Granted I did sell them on Amazon for $55 a piece but still....not $130.

My Spirit is one of the modern looking grills but I swear next time I find an old 80s-90s Genesis with the red firebox and the hooden handles I'm keeping it for life and selling my Spirit!

Enyar
Enyar Dork
5/10/15 3:23 p.m.

BOOM!

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/5018548033.html

Posted 4 hours ago. Plus I believe I have the stainless flavorizer bars you would need. Picked those up on clearance the same time I bought the grates that I already sold on Amazon. I'll sell them to you at cost for GRM Karma points.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
5/10/15 3:25 p.m.

There is also a free Weber on your Clist but I can almost guarantee it's been picked up for scrap by now.

Also:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/app/4983185237.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/10/15 3:33 p.m.

I saw that Genesis but couldnt figure out how to go back to find parts for it.

Next issue: i have a Cherokee, not a truck. Not sure how i would load that.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
5/10/15 3:40 p.m.

I have a Jetta, your argument is invalid.

(That's the Genesis I picked up for $25)

As for parts, call Weber. They have real live people in Illinois that will be super friendly and maybe even send you free stuff. Parts of that grill are still under warranty.

Plus you save the turtles keeping that thing out of a landfill.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
5/10/15 8:57 p.m.

A Genesis is what I had. I saw it at a garage sale down the block, but he was asking $25 and it needed grates. I waited him out, and when the garage sale was over he put it out for the garbage. I pounced, so my initial investment was free, and the grates and flavorizer bars were cheaper then (10 years ago). After about 5 years the frame rusted out; I could have bought new frame parts direct from Weber but my parents bought me a Q before I got the chance. I gave it to a neighbor who was still using it up to when he moved a few years later.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/11/15 10:22 p.m.

Well, never heard back from any of the CL people that had Webers.

Went to Home Depot first. They had a $300 Brinkman that was very solid feeling. Impressive, actually.

And they had a dual fuel Brinkmann that was like the Wally World one i posted earlier, but presumably better. It was still a pile of E36 M3. Paper thin, cockeyed, dumb design.

Went to Lowes. Was a little disappointed with selection, though they did have a bunch of Webers. Last couple i looked at were a couple higher end Char-grillers then cue angels.

They had a Char-griller "Professional" dual fuel. Basically the Brinkmann on steroids. Heavy as E36 M3, cast iron grates, just really solid.

Only one left, the floor model. Had a scuff on one of the lids. Manager offered it to me for $260 and a free full propane tank.

YUP. I'll take that.

I am pleased. Can't wait to play with it tomorrow.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
5/12/15 7:18 a.m.

I got a very nice stainless Charbroil with side burner for $50 off Craigslist. looks new with heavy duty iron grates. It should last many years to come.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/12/15 7:46 a.m.

Looks like there's a whole community that mods these things. Interesting. Seems with some minor work, the firebox/smoker sidebox attachment makes for a damn good smoking setup.

Looks like i need to get my hands on that.

Anyways, pics.

20150511_201307 by concealer404, on Flickr

20150511_210339 by concealer404, on Flickr

RossD
RossD PowerDork
5/12/15 8:08 a.m.

If you think charcoal takes too long to get from lighting to grilling, you need a chimney starter. And if you need to grill over super high heat just put a rack on top of it and grill over it!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/12/15 8:10 a.m.
RossD wrote: If you think charcoal takes too long to get from lighting to grilling, you need a chimney starter. And if you need to grill over super high heat just put a rack on top of it and grill over it!

This.

I regularly feed four cranky whining kids. I have only used charcoal for their entire lives. We have a round Weber that's well within your budget which I got four years ago or so that's been fantastic.

I sear my steaks by placing them beneath the chimney. I occasionally will throw a cast iron skillet directly on the coals and sear that way too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jzbFRgAkQBIHGMMxq5izAstiIbeOMx9AkGqMV0ctrjQcdgr3bBTcYmVzQw0vEIZj