1 2
Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
5/20/14 1:54 a.m.

Having grown up there, I agree with all of the above. However, Chicago is a great place to be from. Remember, rush hour is a 24/7 ordeal!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/20/14 5:58 a.m.

Orland Park has a great Olive Garden......

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/20/14 6:56 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to secretariata:

I can go for both of those! I never realized Chicago had there own deviant and subversive hot dog before I visited, but was a willing convert...

As for the Sears tower, I knew the name had been changed as part of it's deal with the prosecutors office for testifying...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/11/15 2:07 p.m.

Bumpage.

Doing a day trip in a week and a half with some friends i haven't seen in a year.

Renting a car, so overpaying for parking everywhere is just going to have to happen.

Need: Affordable place to get a light lunch/brunch. A thing or two to do after that before dinner. An awesome $75-$100/plate dinner place, preferably without a crazy dress code. The nicest clothes i own are jeans and a few button downs, and i like it that way. Bonus points for maybe a gastropub/speakeasy-type place.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/15 2:20 p.m.

hint: valet at your hotel (or long term parking at midway for the extreme), and uber from there. you will save money and time.

hotdogs for lunch. (it's what I would do). If you want steak for dinner, I recently had dinner with my wife at Morton's and then had Gibson's like a month later with folks from work. Same price (you will be about $100 per person out the door after shared side plates and a glass of wine or two) at both places, and Morton's was far and away better in my mind. Dunno the Gibson's dress code, it was a business dinner. Called Morton's before we went to ask about dress, they said no t-shirts, no ripped jeans. Fair 'nuff.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/15 2:20 p.m.

I recommend getting steak when staying in Chicago. Also if a place is booked for the night or telling you the wait is longer then 45 minutes, tell them you're Abe Froman.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/15 2:24 p.m.

Food? Greektown!

slowride
slowride HalfDork
5/11/15 2:31 p.m.

The sausage king of Chicago?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/11/15 2:51 p.m.

Not staying in a hotel this time, just a day trip.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
5/11/15 3:13 p.m.

Once again, I just got back from Chicago. (It's a yearly business thing.)

For dinner, try one of the Quartino's (I think there are a couple.) It says it's a pizzeria but it's more like a great trattoria - house made sausage, imported cheese, antipasi, great wine selection, lots of good salads and entrees - AND good italian-style pizza (not deep dish.) It's a nicely upscale joint but I was fine in jeans and a tshirt on a Friday night. I think the boss and I did about $100 damage total with wine, appetizer, main dish and salads. You could stretch that higher if you work at it. It's a very european style place, I liked it a lot.

The one we ate at was not far off the magnificent Mile, kinda near Clark Street.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/11/15 3:16 p.m.

Hold the phone, just realized that Morimoto has a restaurant there. If SWMBO can find something on the menu she'll eat, that's happening.

Will hang on to Quartino's as a backup. Everyone loves italian food.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/11/15 7:15 p.m.

If you want a good Gastropub, Flo and Santos in the South Loop has good booze and good food.

The Scout which is across the street has foot long grilled cheese and there is always a special one every day.

If you want cheap parking, Sky 55 (corner of Michigan and 13th) which is my inlaws building has public parking. For 8 hours it's $10 and goes up from there the longer you stay. I think the most I ever payed is $14.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/15 8:56 p.m.

Where will you be specifically? There is a parking garage outside my office building at Monroe and wells that is $16 for 12 hours on the weekend. But you probably won't be in the loop

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/11/15 10:13 p.m.

Dunno where we'll be. Wecll be wherever we're going. Not staying at a hotel.

Someone recommended the Art Institute. Good time?

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/11/15 10:15 p.m.

Girl and the Goat. Sumi Robatabar. Smith and Wollensky's. Owen and Engine. Uncommon Ground. You won't have trouble getting good food.

I would recommend going to The Green Mill in Uptown for drinks and some jazz/poetry. That place has a lot of history. Lots of great bars and breweries. I would recommend checking out revolution and lagunitas- the lagunitas brewery is AWESOME, and they have good food.

On cheap parking downtown- there are a lot of lots around Loyola University Chicago's water tower campus, and you can get tickets validated in the Corboy building- no one will ask if you are a student. 6 to 12 dollars for around 12 hours or more and a good location. Let me know if you want more info.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/11/15 11:17 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Dunno where we'll be. Wecll be wherever we're going. Not staying at a hotel. Someone recommended the Art Institute. Good time?

Yes, very good time. If you like art (I do, and try to get there at least once every few years).

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/11/15 11:24 p.m.

Have fun but I can't think of a less desirable place to go...well maybe New York...or anywhere in Michigan...or Florida. You people are nuts.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/12/15 12:50 a.m.

Nick is not a hockey fan.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/12/15 7:52 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Have fun but I can't think of a less desirable place to go...well maybe New York...or anywhere in Michigan...or Florida. You people are nuts.

LA. LA is a less desirable place to go.

drummerfromdefleopard
5/12/15 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

New York is fantastic, just don't drive once you're there.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/15 8:32 a.m.

Every time I have been in Chicago lately, I have rented the blue bikes to get around. If the weather is good, it is just the best way to get around. Swipe a card, grab a bike, go where you need to and then pop it back in another rack. I tried the bike messenger thing in heavy traffic and DO NOT recommend it, but there are plenty of bike lanes that are quiet and safe. Google Maps seemed to be the best way to locate bike racks.

We hit Zapatistas in the South Loop last time out and it was pretty awesome Mexican Food. I also bought a $5 hat at the Harley Store for $35.

drummerfromdefleopard
5/12/15 8:37 a.m.

Citi-bikes are great. Just don't go flying over the handlebars

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/12/15 10:16 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Have fun but I can't think of a less desirable place to go...well maybe New York...or anywhere in Michigan...or Florida. You people are nuts.

Texas is a far less desirable place to go.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7EQEZlMiBTERdIr8MIpK30qQRrSQn3PfCV6V8FDqBRqfZpk2r8Fi4I2Dgyexpdv2