1 2 3 4 5
bluej
bluej Dork
12/25/13 5:55 p.m.

I got a pizzelle maker that I'm pretty stoked about experimenting with :D

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/25/13 7:01 p.m.

GT6 and an Ion Airpro sports camera (also for the kids). Apparently, the Mrs. thinks the boys & I were pretty good this year. Actually, its the first time in several years we didn't find out in November that we'd be making less money the next year, so we might have gone a little crazy.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
12/25/13 7:38 p.m.
bluej wrote: I got a pizzelle maker that I'm pretty stoked about experimenting with :D

Pizzelles are my favorite holiday cookie. We have been making them in my family for as long back as anyone can remember (yes, we are descended from a long line of olive-oil-drinking Guineas).

My current pizzelle maker was bought new by my grandfather for my grandmother sometime not long after WWII. The recipe that we've been using and tweaking for the past 70-odd years is scrawled in pencil (in my grandmother's handwriting) on the box.

Pizzelle makers get better with age and use. Every year's pizzelles have a little of the flavor of every past years' batches in them.

One of my current favorite variants involves amaretto and almond extract. Orange zest is nice too...and some like the loccorice-y flavor of anisette. It's hard to go wrong.

A fun trick- when you take the pizzelles out, and they are still warm and pliable, roll them into either cones (for ice cream) or rolls (for cannoli filling). They set up crispy and delicious.

Oh, I got socks and undershirts for Chirstmas. The gift of warmth.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/25/13 8:20 p.m.

Grandpa:
Money
Shoes that don't fit him anymore

Parents:
Vacuum
Set of Cutco's that was put together over about 3-5 years at estate sales--probably worth about $800 if it was bought new. All have been sent in to Cutco to get refinished.
T-Shirt
Couple of CD's
Shaving Cream

Brothers:
Blow-gun (darts)
Beer

Fiance:
Referee pants (hockey)

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/25/13 9:16 p.m.

My permanent roommate got me a record player, new DJ-style headphones, and a bunch of old LPs. I also got the new George Follmer book, and since my battery died last week at a cost of $150 dollars, my mother sent me a check covering that amount.

Mother-in-law gave me the cash to launch my new website...

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/25/13 9:17 p.m.

I got a berkeleying ukelele. And promptly learned how to play "Tonight You Belong to Me." Stoked.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/25/13 9:21 p.m.

SWMBO got me a new Mojo III airbrush, a tool that is well beyond my level of experience or talent but I shall endeavor to live up to it.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/25/13 9:32 p.m.

Much Star Wars paraphernalia including a house key, GoPro head mount, coffee, Homer Slippers (like my 4th pair I think), a book by Ron Swanson, two Hotwheels (both good - AE86 Corolla and Subaru WRX), coffee and a house full of laughing friends and family.

Gave her a painting by an artist friend of her new parrot & (homemade) gift certificate to the bird farm to buy $50ish worth of stuff with free transportation and guarantee to not complain about the time spent at the store or repeated staring at my watch.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/25/13 9:47 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I got a berkeleying ukelele. And promptly learned how to play "Tonight You Belong to Me." Stoked.

Oh, that reminds me: My dad got me new bridge pins for my Martin.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
12/25/13 9:55 p.m.

Lego Ninja Samurai Giant Robot Mech dude from baby bro, fancy new hundred dolla bill from mama-san, pair of new (kitchen) knives from my pops.

Plan on throwing the bill towards hiring someone to fix the wiring woes on the Civic I'm flipping.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
12/25/13 10:07 p.m.

Motorcycle helmet, jacket and winter gloves with glove liners.

GT6

Ohio State clock for the man cave, if I ever get around to finishing it.

bluej
bluej Dork
12/25/13 10:09 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
bluej wrote: I got a pizzelle maker that I'm pretty stoked about experimenting with :D
Pizzelles are my favorite holiday cookie. We have been making them in my family for as long back as anyone can remember (yes, we are descended from a long line of olive-oil-drinking Guineas). My current pizzelle maker was bought new by my grandfather for my grandmother sometime not long after WWII. The recipe that we've been using and tweaking for the past 70-odd years is scrawled in pencil (in my grandmother's handwriting) on the box. Pizzelle makers get better with age and use. Every year's pizzelles have a little of the flavor of every past years' batches in them. One of my current favorite variants involves amaretto and almond extract. Orange zest is nice too...and some like the loccorice-y flavor of anisette. It's hard to go wrong. A fun trick- when you take the pizzelles out, and they are still warm and pliable, roll them into either cones (for ice cream) or rolls (for cannoli filling). They set up crispy and delicious. Oh, I got socks and undershirts for Chirstmas. The gift of warmth.

Thanks for the tips! Plans so far include something like stroopwaffles, a berry batter batch and something with some spices like apple/pumpkin pie.

I gave my best friend a 5 gal oak barrel a week ago for him to experiment with aging his homebrews. Met up with him tonight and he informed me I'd be getting this (very excited!): http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/site/beers/2014-night-shift-barrel-society/

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/25/13 10:16 p.m.

Boss gave me a 12 pack of winter seasonal beers. Drank while playing the Borderlands expansion pack I bought for myself. Hunting a giant snowman with incendiary weapons is a hoot

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/13 11:34 p.m.

Like I said, rubbers!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/25/13 11:41 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Like I said, rubbers!

[insert trojan joke]

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/26/13 7:02 a.m.

^ you said "insert trojan"

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
12/26/13 7:04 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Got my wife an airbrush a couple of years ago. She hasn't yet tried it out- we kinda decided to move several states away and it, like many of our possessions, is packed into a box...somewhere. Good luck with yours, hope you end up unearthing some hidden talent!

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/26/13 7:07 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: ^ you said "insert trojan"

you might want to withdraw that … as inappropriate

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 7:15 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Nonsense. I never pull out of a good pun, the aborted comment usually ends up going limp

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/26/13 7:26 a.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to wbjones: Nonsense. I never pull out of a good pun, the aborted comment usually ends up going limp

after a pregnant pause ….

I bow down to a superior punster

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
12/26/13 8:26 a.m.

The really cool stuff: My first tablet, an Arduino with accessories, and a cool math mug:

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/26/13 8:52 a.m.

From my wife and MIL, the usual clothes and some small items.
The gift of the year came from my SIL (wife's sister) who I really do not like that much. She remarried last year, to a guy I do like, and moved to Alaska.
Shipped next day air (that must have cost 'em!)
8 vacuum packed, Copper River Red Salmon filets (big ones) that he caught himself earlier this year.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
12/26/13 9:24 a.m.

Got a new grill, and shop vac......had a real good Christmas

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
12/26/13 9:27 a.m.

Later on when Tiff's family came over I got some ammo, a propane heater and a Leatherman Rebar.

BenB
BenB New Reader
12/26/13 10:16 a.m.

Flyin' Miata downpipe & exhaust for the MSM!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hEgSPNu4f1ewW3Gt9s2SX4Q8Tvsslt4fRBW0DM8cnSiELVULaeESikm5l1tnahXm