1 2
RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/1/11 12:12 p.m.

I found this:

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/2522751211.html said: Mazda miata mx5 1992 (replica of bmw z3) 112k miles - $2995 (Omro, WI) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 2011-07-31, 12:41PM CDT Reply to: sale-dmu9f-2522751211@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 5 speed manual transmission, 1.6 liter engine, looks like a bmw z3 but 1/3 the cost, runs great!

Why would someone do this?

nderwater
nderwater Dork
8/1/11 12:18 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/1/11 12:39 p.m.

If anyone wants to buy my MX6 for $3000, i'll go buy the Ziata. Seriously. I'm not joking.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/1/11 12:43 p.m.

Because they want to make their Miata look fancier?

Aside from a couple of panel gaps, that's not too bad of a body kit. Most people probably wouldn't even be able to spot the difference, either.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
8/1/11 12:51 p.m.

Why do I want that Ferrari Daytona Miata so bad? What is wrong with me?

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/1/11 12:55 p.m.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/11 12:57 p.m.

I've always found the Z3 kit pretty funny, because it's simply for pose value. There's no good reason to want something that looks like a first-generation Z3 unless you want to impress the neighbors.

The M1Stang, the Daytona, even the Cobra kits are trying to look like something very cool, rare (well, a little rare for the Mustang) and expensive (again with the Mustang trying to sink my point). The Z3 is trying to look like a cheap BMW that wasn't really that desirable other than the M version. Heck, put that kit on a 1.8 Miata and it'll have a better power/weight ratio than the original Z3 did

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
8/1/11 1:01 p.m.

Sorry, this looks too cool:

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/1/11 1:03 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:

This is the only one that I've seen that looks good.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
8/1/11 1:05 p.m.

I like the idea of the Ziata. I don't know why. Stuff it full of LSx and stick and M-badge on it, and you have a helluva sleeper on your hands.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/1/11 1:06 p.m.

I dig the Pit Crew in a weird sort of way. I'm half-assed looking for an NA to replace my MX6 with. If i get one in any sort of decent shape, i'll probably do the Pit Crew with that one. Just because.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/1/11 1:10 p.m.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/1/11 1:16 p.m.

The Italia kit is so close to looking awesome, but there is one or two proportions off in my eyes. One is the rear end's oval is too small, along with the rear bumperettes being waaay to small. I haven't been able to figure out what bugs me with the front...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/11 1:17 p.m.

I like the Caddy fins personally, if that isn't a bizarre collision of worlds...

Keith
8/1/11 1:33 p.m.

That's the Italia 2, the original one looked better to me. With the right detail work, they could be a stunner. Jack Gosney put together one that really worked.

There's a sketch of a prototype hardtop on the Simpson Design website that makes the Italia 2 really work.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/1/11 1:34 p.m.

I know... not a re-body... but i find myself REALLY liking this bumper for some reason.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/1/11 1:40 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:

I would totally put that body kit on an LSx Miata.

That one just looks cool.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
8/1/11 1:42 p.m.

Maybe they wanted a German car with the reliability of a Japanese car.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
8/1/11 2:09 p.m.
RossD wrote: The Italia kit is so close to looking awesome, but there is one or two proportions off in my eyes. One is the rear end's oval is too small, along with the rear bumperettes being waaay to small. I haven't been able to figure out what bugs me with the front...

The front beltline is too high. It's like the headlights/nose are higher in relation to the wheels than it should be. I'm sure this is a compromise due to the existing hood height to clear the stock motor / shocktowers but it needs to be thinner top to bottom in the front.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/1/11 3:00 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

I think that's it.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
8/1/11 4:49 p.m.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/1/11 5:12 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Why do I want that Ferrari Daytona Miata so bad? What is wrong with me?

I like it, too. I see nothing wrong with it. Why not make a fun car even more fun?

92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:

...and that is just awesome. Never saw one hellaflushed/stanced.

I've always dug that bodykit.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/1/11 5:38 p.m.

Wasn't sure if anyone here would like that or not... It's a little too stance-y/stretched tire for me... but i love everything else about it.

Keith
8/1/11 5:40 p.m.

I've always felt the Pit Crew nose looks too droopy. But you know what they say about opinions.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/1/11 5:42 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Wasn't sure if anyone here would like that or not... It's a little too stance-y/stretched tire for me... but i love everything else about it.

I'll freely admit that I dig the stance aesthetic. I have no desire to do it to a car of mine, but I like looking at it.

That car looks fantastic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e1ABUj2YgbkuYzgkpXdJbxohPESCZ5YCxaTy62zFWrxMYbxGYzIHHLWDTtKB2wgR