1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
9/23/13 8:37 p.m.

In case y'all never realized it my forum handle, here and elsewhere is just a play on my name Jim Thwaite. (JThw8) Noone can pronounce Thwaite so we've always told folks its like Thw-8. One day my grandfather (also Jim) decided to do JThw8 as his license plate. Since then all his sons (Jim, John, Jay, Jeff, Jessie and Joel...and grandma was June, sense a theme?) have done variations in their particular states. I figured it was time to add NJ to the mix.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
9/23/13 10:24 p.m.

Coolness.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/23/13 10:37 p.m.

Aww! Mutts is one of my favorites.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
9/23/13 10:44 p.m.

I have always wanted to get a plate with a random series of the number zero, the letter L the letter O and the number 1 on a custom plate!!

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/23/13 10:49 p.m.

I always wanted 370H 55V. Hint; look at it upside down.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/13 12:07 a.m.

It's a somewhat unusual name, but how else would anyone pronounce it?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/24/13 1:19 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
9/24/13 6:13 a.m.
ransom wrote: It's a somewhat unusual name, but how *else* would anyone pronounce it?

You would be amazed The most common mispronunciation generally sounds like slang for a woman's genitalia

But yes, if you stop and think about it for just a second it's not very hard to pronounce.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/24/13 6:39 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
ransom wrote: It's a somewhat unusual name, but how *else* would anyone pronounce it?
You would be *amazed* The most common mispronunciation generally sounds like slang for a woman's genitalia But yes, if you stop and think about it for just a second it's not very hard to pronounce.

I'm sure the pronunciation seems obvious to us since we've been looking at "Thw8" for years now.

With my last name (Furqueron) I'm used to butchered pronunications and misspellings. The best mailing I ever got was "Fusqueroa"

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/24/13 7:03 a.m.

My parents' 1969 AMX has the tag "WOW AMX." They wanted "69 AMX" but some idiot at the tag agency decided that tags containing 69 cannot be issued because that is ALWAYS a sexual reference.

When I finally finish the car, I am thinking about "32DATSN"

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/24/13 7:34 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I always wanted 370H 55V. Hint; look at it upside down.

There used to be a crappy 308 ish thing running around SE MI with 'XE5 LOH' at things like the dream cruise he would turn it upside down to sort of read HOT SEX

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/13 7:42 a.m.

I tried to get "JTHW8" in Connecticut, but it was already taken...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/24/13 7:43 a.m.

In GTA V, my plates will be JTHW8.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork

On the C30 I now have 'JOTUNN' as Jötunn ia the old norse word for Giant, frost giant or Troll. The car got nicknamed that when we picked it up in Sweden as we were listening to a kids book called 'The Sea of Trolls' by Nancy Farmer and liked it, plus the play that the C30 is a big car in Europe but a small one here. Before that I had 'OVLOV' on it at first, I used to have 'XLMOOSE' on cars prior as the kids nickname for me is MOOSE and I'm not exactly a small guy, it's also my gmail address.

I think JTHW8 is awesome, I have no problem with Thwait because I grew up in Yorkshire and there a millions of Thwaits and derivatives in people and place names. I grew up on Slaithwaite road, Slaithwaite being the next village over, there was also Linthwaite etc. There was also lot's of 'firths' and 'thongs' etc in place and people names.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
Woody wrote: I tried to get "JTHW8" in Connecticut, but it was already taken...

Really? I don't think I have any family in CT :)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/24/13 7:58 a.m.

Always wanted something like:

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/13 8:01 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Always wanted something like:

Ha! I've said exactly the same thing! It would be almost impossible to read and/or remember. There are 2187 possible combinations on that theme.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
9/24/13 8:10 a.m.

Or ones and I's. Always get it wrong 1l1ll1

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/24/13 8:19 a.m.

There's a cartoon around somewhere about the 1 and I licence plate. Some kid showing his mates the plate and bragging how no one will ever be able to figure it out. Then an old woman complaining to the cops about some kid with an unreadable plate. The punch line is 'Oh him, we konw that kid, we'll get him' The Google is not strong with me today.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/24/13 9:00 a.m.
DirtSloe
DirtSloe New Reader
9/24/13 10:46 a.m.

The plate on my 510 reads NKL DIME. Everyone gets the words, hardly anyone gets the meaning

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/24/13 10:53 a.m.

My MKI GTI had FSTBNY and I had a girl ask if I worked for playboy. WTH?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
9/24/13 10:56 a.m.

my ms3 has FWD LOL. For some reason, the DMV didn't believe me that FTMFW was a reference to my wife. the mx6 will eventually get 0RWHP,

Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/24/13 11:03 a.m.

Saw a "NO RWHP" on a speed3 the other day.

My autox car says "N0 C0NE"

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/24/13 11:04 a.m.

In reply to DirtSloe:

Well, aside from 5-10, why is your datsun nickle and diming you?

I don't have custom plates, but I recieved a riley plate this year that reads 1111.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VWLvkpbqOzTeVG82MUlgLLRsGSbVeMabSrpuNw11dUDP02AmXuuNDBAigDGGbBQd