1 2
slowride
slowride Dork
4/9/20 1:56 p.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

For those looking for hitch racks, I just switched from the more conventional type to a Kuat Transfer (Xmas/bday present).  Wow is it worlds better for stability, security and separation.  

This is exactly the rack I was planning on getting!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
4/9/20 7:12 p.m.

Anyone hauling bikes on a hitch rack owes it to themselves to get a 1Up USA Rack.

I have the single Superduty with the Superduty 1x Add-On and its tits.  

https://www.1up-usa.com/

Besides the all-aluminum construction and that it is made in Wisconsin, I love that when I want to carry 1 bike I only have a single rack.  When I want to take the wife somewhere then I can attach the add on for her bike and haul two bikes.

That on the back of my Land Cruiser and I am set.  I can always fold the rear seats down and do 1 bike inside if I dont feel like tossing the rack on or want it lockable.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/20 12:20 a.m.

I made a piece of plywood to fit into the back of my disco. It covers the entire floor behind the backseat and is covered in black automotive carpeting. To this I bolted a thule quick release holder. If I put the seat behind the driver in it's extreme folded postion, the rear wheel fits between it and the door while the forks hold the bike perfectly upright and safe inside the truck.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/10/20 7:28 a.m.

My setup. I made a rack that has two spots for mountain bikes and one for a 20in BMX. There is a bump in the bed that it fits behind perfectly to keep it from sliding. 

My Ragley Big Wig barely fits. I have to drop the tail gate and turn the front wheel to get it in. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/10/20 7:42 a.m.

Wow, two pages and no one has mentioned the gold standard vehicle for cyclists.

I drove this one for 6 years. It will swallow 2 road bikes (size 60) whole. No wheel removal. No lowering the saddle. Just drop the gate, roll them in, and shut the gate.

Plus, it's a Honda so you can spend all your free time pedaling and not wrenching. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/10/20 7:47 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

1up racks are good.  Many of my friends have those. 

I built a plywood fork mount setup for my old conversion van, securing it to the floor via the rear seat mounts/holes. It kinda worked, although back then all I had were standard QR fork mounts and my bikes had thru-axles, so fitting the adapters was a PITA. So the system never really got used.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
4/11/20 4:56 p.m.

Best bike hauler I ever had was a Honda Fit. You could put a bike in the back seat with the back seat bottom up. Civic Hatch, CX-5, Mazda 5 were all competent bike haulers. My Versa Note hatch can actually swallow a bike whole with the front wheel on with the back seats down. I'll put a tarp over the back seats and throw it in if I don't feel like setting up the rack on the back hatch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zXT9zhIsQMbXIibCU1BRJhpQzKT8VeT6LlgVZ4d4c6dCwuqunyQdEpyBq5ikwm5r