1 2 3
therex
therex Dork
6/12/08 12:49 p.m.

Just a note on the Mosin Nagant...the safety SUCKS. I mean it sucks so bad it's the E36 M3tiest safety design in the history of firearms.

When I carry mine, the "safety" is walking around with the bolt open. Seriously, it's godawful.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/12/08 12:57 p.m.

This has been on the web for some time, but there's always time to repost the funny:

MN vs AK-47 vs M-16:

AK-47: It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever. AR-15: You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning. Mosin-Nagant: It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.

AK-47: You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside. AR-15: You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters. Mosin-Nagant: You can hit the barn from two counties away.

AK-47: Cheap mags are fun to buy. AR-15: Cheap mags melt. Mosin-Nagant: What's a mag?

AK-47: Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away. AR-15 You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger. Mosin-Nagant: What's a safety?

AK-47: Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling. AR-15: Your rifle has a 9-point stealth tactical suspension system. Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle has dog collars.

AK: Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter. AR-15: Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife. Mosin-Nagant: Your bayonet is longer than your leg.

AK-47: You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak. AR-15: You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 30 rounds. Mosin-Nagant: You can knock down everyone else's target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.

AK-47: When out of ammo, your rifle will nominally pass as a club. AR-15: When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat. Mosin-Nagant: When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.

AK-47: Recoil is manageable, even fun. AR-15: What's recoil? Mosin-Nagant: Recoil is often used to fix shoulders dislocated by the previous shot.

AK-47: Your sight adjustment goes to 10, and you've never bothered moving it. AR-15: Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle. Mosin-Nagant: Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles, and you've actually tried it.

AK-47: Your rifle can be used by any two-bit nation's most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide. AR-15: Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two-bit nations' most illiterate conscripts. Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle has fought against itself - and won every time.

AK-47: Your rifle won some revolutions. AR-15: Your rifle drove Saddam out of Kuwait. Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle won a pole vault event.

AK-47: You paid $330. AR-15: You paid $900. Mosin-Nagant: You paid $59.95.

AK-47: You buy cheap ammo by the case. AR-15: You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one. Mosin-Nagant: You dig your ammo out of a farmer's field in Ukraine and it works just fine.

AK-47: You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted. AR-15: Your foes laugh when you mount your bayonet. Mosin-Nagant: You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.

AK-47: Service life, 50 years. AR-15: Service life, 40 years. Mosin-Nagant: Service life, 100 years, and counting.

AK-47: It's easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes. AR-15: You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper. Mosin-Nagant: You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54R.

AK-47: You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick. AR-15: You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith, it's under warranty! Mosin-Nagant: If your rifle breaks, you buy a new one.

AK-47: You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards to burst into flames. AR-15: You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group. Mosin-Nagant: You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4.

AK-47: After a long day the range, you relax by watching Red Dawn. AR-15: After a long day at the range, you relax by watching Black Hawk Down. Mosin-Nagant: After a long day at the range, you relax by visiting the chiropractor.

AK-47: After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff shot of vodka. AR-15: After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hot dogs and apple pie. Mosin-Nagant: After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for shishkabob.

AK-47: You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set. AR-15: Your rifle's accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle. Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle's accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but it's buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.

AK-47: Your rifle's finish is varnish and paint. AR-15: Your rifle's finish is Teflon and high-tech polymers. Mosin-Nagant: Your rifle's finish is low-grade shellac, cosmoline, and Olga's toe nails.

AK-47: Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov. AR-15: Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene Stoner. Mosin-Nagant: Did cameras even exist to photograph Sergei Mosin?

AK-47: Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout "Wolverines!" AR-15: Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room. Mosin-Nagant: Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the yard to sleep in.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/12/08 2:44 p.m.

^^^LMFAO^^^ I think this list alone has turned me towards a MN, but my test for any gun, can i walk into any of the local(I.E. withing 50 miles) walmarts and get ammo, in this case 7.62X54R

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
6/12/08 3:04 p.m.

If you learn to handload you can keep all sorts of interesting firearms fed. It's not rocket science for grassroots DIY-ers, and a simple Lee Loader set costs less than $20. If you like it, you can upgrade to all sorts of fancy presses, dies, and accessories. Only buy brass cases for reloading, and look for boxer primers (standard for US companies, common in commercial ammunition) because they're easier to work with than Berdan. Reloadable ammunition will cost more to start with, but you can reuse the cases quite a few times, and tailor the ammunition to your liking. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! That said, I do the Walmart test now and then on cartridges I don't already have dies for.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/12/08 3:10 p.m.

I couldn't believe the lobbing range of my Nagants sights when I got them. I also couldn't believe how wobbly and sloppy they were.

You will learn what an arschen is with a Russian Nagant.

Real ammo comes in giant tin cans that you open like Norwegian sardeens.

I did cut down a big tree with the Nagant once target shooting. I thought those were little splinters of bark coming off, I didn't realise I was blasting the entire backside of the tree off. Oops. I was new to the gun.

With the internet comes a manual for the Nagant. Then you learn that you're supposed to load it from the top, not through the oh so obvious trap door on the bottom.

The mass of the Nagant negates recoil. As opposed to the M16, which is like getting kicked in the shoulder with spiked heels.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/12/08 3:13 p.m.

I have considered starting a reloading set up, But I will wait till I have a center fire of my own(cant reload 22LRs)

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
6/12/08 4:56 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I couldn't believe the lobbing range of my Nagants sights when I got them. I also couldn't believe how wobbly and sloppy they were.

I felt the same way when I picked up my first AK and broke it down. I couldn't believe how much free space there was inside of one. Granted I had come from shooting AR-15's, Belgium made Brownings and other guns with very tight tolerances. From that point on I knew If I ever had to have a MBR for crappy conditions it would be the AK. Now I'm thinking I'll get a couple Nagant revolvers (converted to 32 HR Mag), a 44 to convert to a scout rifle and another as a long range gun ...and heck you could do that all for less than the Model 700 I was planning on getting

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/12/08 5:09 p.m.

Back during Klinton 1 (I still think there's gonna be another), I experimented with reloading non-reloadable steel cased 7.62x39. FWTSHTF. During the experimental stage, I was having issues with the primers coming out of the cases when the bolt stripped the round off the mag of the AK (MAK-90, actually). This resulted in primers and gobs of powder building up the receiver. I'd just cycle the bolt (ejecting the round with no primer) and keep going. It never missed a lick. No way a AR-15 would ever take that abuse.

The Finns did some arsenal re-works of MN's. If you can find one of those, they shoot tighter. They had a WWII (Winter War, I think) sniper that had over 500 Russian KIA's. He used a MN with iron sites.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
6/12/08 5:13 p.m.

yeah I've seen a few of those Finn MN's popping up at roughly twice the price or more than the regular Ruskie versions.

RXBeetle
RXBeetle New Reader
6/13/08 12:03 a.m.

I have an M44 Mossin Nagant. I Picked it up at Gander Mtn. for $100 and I love the thing. Get one of the neoprene buttstock pads unless you have a callus for a shoulder. Go to cheaperthandirt.com and pick up a 440-rd. can of Hungarian ammo and have some fun. The ammo is corrosive so clean with some ammonia/water. Make sure the screws are good and tight. They tend to vibrate loose until everything gets seated well, there are only two freaking screws... it's not a big deal. I took a needle file to the trigger and where it slides to release the firing pin for some smoother pull. I also cleaned up the caming surfaces on the bolt you don't have to beat it into submission. It is also the loudest damn thing at the firing range. 4' fire ball off the muzzle! If you want to hunt deer with it you might luck out and scare one to death if you miss your shot or you could always charge the deer with the huuuge folding bayonet that comes standard on the damn thing Heed therex warning about the safety or lack there of. I think the Russian soldiers that were issued these rifles were lucky to get ammo to fire so in that sense having a rifle that fired was safer than the alternative... a stick.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
6/13/08 3:09 a.m.

see the whole that about the safety doesn't bother me most of the rifles I have carried in the woods and mountains have no safety at all. normal operation for me is no round in the chamber of the rifle, but the .45 is always ready

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/14/08 10:19 a.m.

I might make it out to gander tomarow, but last time i didn't find any surplus or anything. But next time I do go out there, I will ask about reloading, might just start reloading for my fathers Mauser, and maybe 12 guage.

I might also just go back to working on my 10/22.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RA1aJE6TeLTGFXkhgCfZaPCaEpmrGhHZ6WjyNx5FnPvfa1V4Tl49HHEjxLaauwOI