1 2
rotard
rotard Dork
11/19/12 10:31 a.m.

Do you hear that? It's the sound of the reaper...errr, your money leaving.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/19/12 10:49 a.m.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I hope to get a pro out here soon to tell me if this is the death mold or just the sniffle mold.
Greg Voth, how do you recommend I find a reputable company to tell me what this is? Is there some certification or body that governs these folks?

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
11/19/12 11:04 a.m.

The large certification is through Clean Trust (formerly IICRC). I have a couple certifications through them for water extraction and drying but not mold.

Two of the big names are ServiceMaster and ServePro but there are tons of others. They are franchise operations and the quality varies accordingly. Check the local ones online to see if there are any reviews.

There are some companies that use scare tactics pretty heavily. Some will offer to handle the claim directly with your carrier try to get you to sign an assignment of benefits which arguably gives them control of the claim and limits your rights. I would caution allowing them carte blanche over the repairs b/c if you carrier denies coverage you will be stuck with a hefty bill. I would see what they charge to test the mold and come give a consultation regarding the damages. If you are paying for the work yourself the bill is often much lower.

In the meantime tape up the hole and limit activity in the room if possible. Good luck!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/19/12 2:23 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: The large certification is through Clean Trust (formerly IICRC). I have a couple certifications through them for water extraction and drying but not mold. Two of the big names are ServiceMaster and ServePro but there are tons of others. They are franchise operations and the quality varies accordingly. Check the local ones online to see if there are any reviews. There are some companies that use scare tactics pretty heavily. Some will offer to handle the claim directly with your carrier try to get you to sign an assignment of benefits which arguably gives them control of the claim and limits your rights. I would caution allowing them carte blanche over the repairs b/c if you carrier denies coverage you will be stuck with a hefty bill. I would see what they charge to test the mold and come give a consultation regarding the damages. If you are paying for the work yourself the bill is often much lower. In the meantime tape up the hole and limit activity in the room if possible. Good luck!

Thanks Greg. Currently, the mold that was on the outside (room side) of the wall is gone. So, I know there is mold on the brick-side of the drywall, but the area I sanded and scraped has been sealed with a shellac primer. I'll get somebody out there to test and asses it.

This board rocks.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/19/12 2:30 p.m.

Kilz might not kill it. Spray it liberally with Lysol bleach cleaner (the anti-mold stuff) a few days in a row.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/19/12 2:54 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Kilz might not kill it. Spray it liberally with Lysol bleach cleaner (the anti-mold stuff) a few days in a row.

Yeah, everyone tells me that. The only problem is the only mold is on the other side of the drywall. I have two options.
Let it (and hope it will) die now that the water source is cut off and deal with it.
Replace the drywall.
I'm hoping a pro can at least tell me what the heck I have and I'll go from there. I'll keep you guys/girls in the loop since I'm sure somebody here is going to run into this at some point.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EwfPojXpvxFumsQ8JAI4KbaAjC9CgWy7kNvTRSFBKaZC6XFNkYhOsdn2rR3T29Jv