1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/29/24 9:31 a.m.

Even though the parking lot was empty, yesterday I still parked on the end. Can never be too careful, right? 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
2/29/24 9:32 a.m.

My pet peeve is people not taking advantage of the premium spots. At work the aisles are fairly tight and the spots fairly narrow, so end caps or the occasional spot next to a blocked off space are in high demand, and with my daily being a long bed F350 the turning radius alone limits the number of spots I'm guaranteed to not have to 15 pt turn to get out of.

I don't mind when people take my preferred spots, because they got there first, but I do heavily judge them for not taking full advantage of it by hugging/crossing the line on the free space side

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/29/24 11:02 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Even though the parking lot was empty, yesterday I still parked on the end. Can never be too careful, right? 

I remember the day I finalized my divorce in 2015. Court parking lot........there was no choice to park way out away from people. 

I was so happy to have that done and behind me, to see that on the passenger side someone in a E36 M3 old beater had opened their door so hard it bent the door right on the body line crease and took the paint off down to the bare metal. This was my 7 month old '15 BRZ.

David S. Wallens
3/4/24 11:31 a.m.

I thought of you all while I had the 911 up at Amelia Island this weekend.

Dinner Friday evening:

And then at the hotel that night:

David S. Wallens
3/4/24 11:32 a.m.

Stopped at Harris Teeter as I figured they’d have clean bathrooms for a change from Radwood clothes to adult clothes:

David S. Wallens
3/4/24 11:33 a.m.

Saturday evening’s hangar party:

(I’m at the end of that road, basically.)

David S. Wallens

Back at the hotel:

David S. Wallens

And at the media lot for Sunday’s concours:

David S. Wallens
3/4/24 11:34 a.m.

Oh, and our dinner stop last night on the way home: 

(That’s my wife’s Civic Si.)

David S. Wallens
3/5/24 9:28 a.m.

So tonight I’m heading to a lot that is usually a bit tight.

Is it wrong to already be working on my parking strategy? 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/24 10:01 a.m.

Depends on what I'm driving. The DD minivan = IDGAF and park as close to the front as possible, preferably in an end spot so I can easily get groceries into the side door.  It was used when I bought it and already had a few door dings. The 110K plus added since 2018 have added more. 

Most of my LBC's are so narrow that I don't have to worry much about cars next to it opening doors into them.  I do make sure I don't pull in too far and make it look like nothing is parked there.  

When I drove my Cummins or the E350, I normally parked in the boonies since they are so long they basically take up two spaces. 

If parking is limited and you have the choice, park next to other nice cars. There's a higher chance the owner will be careful with their own doors as well. 

In the Summer, I will definitely look for shaded spots along with trying to think about where the shade will be later in the day.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/5/24 10:10 a.m.

Delivering cars with a 35' enclosed hauler and a freightliner, I used google satellite to figure out how I could get in and out of places before I arrived.

Saved my butt many times.

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 10:24 a.m.

Got a good spot yesterday. 

David S. Wallens
3/13/24 8:08 a.m.

I’m going to give myself an A for spot location but a B- for execution. The truck should have been more to the left.

David S. Wallens
3/17/24 1:17 p.m.

Found an A+ spot today–assuming it’s not trash day. 

Had to turn over a ton of cash to have a tooth surgically removed... but it was a great parking space.

David S. Wallens
3/18/24 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Dang, that’s an A+ on both space and execution. 

David S. Wallens
4/15/24 9:34 a.m.

Got a good spot yesterday: next to a (tiny/sad) grass median and also a dirty diaper.

David S. Wallens
4/22/24 9:19 a.m.

Not only did I get one of the last spots in the lot, but I got a good one. (I’m in the blue Genesis.)

Although I saw this one and, for a minute, did consider trading up.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/2/24 10:46 p.m.

Tonight @ Chicago's Midway Airport Remote parking garage - most people think the guys an idiot and can't park a car but we all know differently.

David S. Wallens
5/2/24 10:56 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Well played. 

David S. Wallens
5/15/24 4:50 p.m.

Last night:

David S. Wallens
5/16/24 9:58 a.m.

Don’t think I shared this one:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/16/24 10:33 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

With regard to the 911, I notice that the tags (or at least the rear plate) change between Friday night and Saturday.  Why?  Trying to stay one step ahead of the law? Secret agent stuff?  wink

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/24 12:21 p.m.

Sometimes he pretends to be a New York yankee.  wink smiley

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jIoEUAiWtt2QH9GYFiV8QqF030B5Rl24DfT7H52HG5qq8k5NIm4bCeLy5T1iDrdV