1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/3/24 3:34 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Yea, for the '17 one, my parents had it go right over them, so my brother came down for it.  They were pretty awe struck by it.

We are so hoping the weather is good- from the  mid west north, the path crosses in a pretty historically cloudy area for the time.  But we will be taking back roads into Ohio, and will probably just go to the edge of the totallity area.  

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
4/3/24 3:34 p.m.

In 2017 I took the family out into the country west of Bowling Green KY.  We were in the path of totality and the difference between 99% and 100% eclipse is 100%.  It's absolutely worth making a trip for.

Last october I flew to Moab UT for the annular eclipse (and family get together), it was cool but not nearly the same thing.

Monday I'll be loading the family up early and taking mostly secondary roads to get over to the lake by Bloomington IN.  Hopefully the traffic isn't as catastrophic as 2017 but I avoided it really well back then so it didn't feel bad.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/3/24 3:36 p.m.

We've got a bike path that we can ride north into the path of totality. I think that's going to be more fun and less stressful than trying to drive.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/24 3:41 p.m.

In 2017 we went to Grand Teton National Park to watch. I was half expecting the Yellowstone super volcano caldera to blow with the alignment between the sun and moon being right there and all.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/3/24 3:49 p.m.

We're going to meet up with family in the path of totality in Northeast Texas.  The weather forecast isn't looking good for viewing there, so we're looking at how far we'd have to travel to improve our chances of seeing anything.  I'm hoping we don't have to go to Oklahoma or Arkansas.

It's still days away, so who knows what the clouds will do?

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/3/24 4:04 p.m.
P3PPY said:

You wanna see something stinking cool? Watch this video from a plane

Plane video of eclipse - WAYYYY cooler than I expectedp

nice, the swear filter nabs URLs too.

I've read about eclipse chasers that book flights and cruises under them. Solar eclipses actually happen often but a lot of the time over an ocean.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
4/3/24 6:15 p.m.

While very cool, this is not a "once-in-a -lifetime" event, unless you can't travel at all. I've seen 2 already in my lifetime (1979,2017). I plan on being around for the 2044 and 2045 events, so that would make 5?

One big difference from the 2017 event is the season. That was summer, so school wasn't in session yet for most people. The 2045 path will be almost the same as 2017, coast to coast in August. 2044 is only the PacNW.

If you want really good odds of seeing a total, Africa gets one about every 6-8 years.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/4/24 8:35 a.m.

Half-day vs full vacation day solved:  Need to do 3 more oil changes on the fleet, so I made an 830am appt at Wagner Subaru in Fairborn for the Crosstrek.  Should be home in plenty of time before the traffic starts.  Might even try a local place for the WRX that I won a gift certificate at the SCCA wards banquet in January.  Get some E36 M3 done and still avoid the mess in the afternoon.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/4/24 9:10 a.m.

At work yesterday I went up to the appointment office to talk to my friend, and I hear her saying on the phone to a customer that they weren't scheduling any appointments after 11 on Monday. When she hung up, I asked her about it and she said "[Our boss's name] said if we didn't have any appointments in the afternoon on Monday, we can go home early." I stared at her and replied "I think he meant if there was a natural shortage of appointments, not to manufacture a shortage of appointments." 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/4/24 9:16 a.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

A majority of people don't want to travel too far to experience totality.  So it's likely to be once in a lifetime for a 2-3 hour drive to experience it.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/4/24 9:51 a.m.

And confirming with Wagner Subaru because their online system sucks, they mentioned they weren't taking appointments after 1pm.  wink

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
4/4/24 11:59 a.m.

If you haven't heard, the path has shifted and been updated by an expert, based on the size of the sun and the "topography of the lunar limb". link  Some border locations are out, some are now in.

Also, cloud cover projections:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/24 1:37 p.m.

Looks like Niagara Falls is going to have full cloud cover now, so areas around Belleville ON and further north are going to get all of the traffic around here surprise

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/24 3:06 p.m.

Bummer, my daughter is flying to Dayton, OH tomorrow to watch with a friend. Dayton is just Northeast of Cincinnati, OH.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/4/24 3:13 p.m.

Looks like I'll be heading to upstate NY instead of NW PA now... this is why I haven't really made any solid plans or reservations. 

Of course, adding to the fun - I think that area of New England and NY is getting hammered with snow right now.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/5/24 11:49 a.m.

Part of the reason my mother and her husband came in from Hawaii this past week. They are currently in far SE OK in a cabin waiting for the eclipse, unfortunately we weren't able to join them. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/24 12:04 p.m.

I guess i should have gone to visit Mom in Ottawa this weekend, it would have been a short drive to totality.

AirBnB occupancy chart.

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
4/5/24 12:38 p.m.

I've lived my whole life in the Cleveland area and from my experience the weather geeks can't predict the weather three hours in advance definitely not 3 days.

The local hotels are booked.  We have the women's final four, the eclipse, the baseball team's home opener on Monday, and my grand daughter's tenth birthday party on Saturday.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/24 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Mustang50 :

Obviously the birthday party is the final straw.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/5/24 3:17 p.m.
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/5/24 3:20 p.m.

We may have to drive a little SW to get fewer clouds.  But we will start early to find a spot.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/5/24 3:40 p.m.

My friend's going down to Mazatlan to watch it. Oh the hardship!

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/5/24 6:26 p.m.

I now realize that if I perform the sacrifice and am granted immortality then I'll have to go to work forever.

May be an image of text

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/6/24 12:53 p.m.

Bought my $2 glasses today.  Have multiple oil changes planned starting 8am that should be complete before it happens.  Ready to go.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/6/24 2:01 p.m.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vEsFV9FtdLJ78Zd9zn4ognNX4ePK8O36i8lqffnU01639CxyhwEt4oktxVmEFbAK